Newsflash: Tebow no NFL QB.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZubYpplmzVk&feature=player_embedded#"]YouTube- JaMarcus Russell NFL Draft[/ame]

Mel Kiper KNOW IT ALL said:
“Jamarcus Russell’s gonna immediately energize that Raider Nation, that fanbase, that football team- on the practice field, in that locker room- three years from now you could be looking at a guy that’s certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league.

You’re talking about a 2-3 year period once he’s under center. Look out because skill level that he has is certainly John Elway like.”

The ESPNification of some sports fans is sad.

YouTube- JaMarcus Russell NFL Draft

The ESPNification of some sports fans is sad.

Kiper did not count on Russell's work ethic being off-the-charts-bad. Nobody did. Everything came easy to Russell at LSU, all he needed was to be bigger and stronger than everyone...which he was.

When Russell had to adjust in the NFL, where EVERYONE is big and strong, he threw in the towel. There have been Jamarcus Russells in the past, he was just one of the most physically gifted to fail so miserably.

Perhaps Russell could have fulfilled Kiper's expectations, but we'll never know, because he didn't even try.

Sandra

Tony Romo must suck, because no one thought he could play coming out of College:rolleyes:

Tim Couch, Akili Smith and Ryan Leaf must be awesome becuase Mel Kiper said they were good entering the draft.

I wonder why McShay and Kiper don't have jobs with NFL teams:cool:

wow, a real intelligent post. kiper is a joke and mcshay is following closely behind. how many can't miss prospects did they pick who are either out of the nfl or floundering? you forgot david klinger, ki janna carter...plus it looks like jemarcus russell and darren mcfadden are heading there as well.

mike maycock, at nfl network said it best thursday. he said to ignore the talking heads about tebow and give the kid a chance. he might make it, he might not. but don't trash him until he has proved otherwise in the pros.

Good article from Stewart Mandel at SI.com as he compares Tebow to Drew Brees who had the same problems before the draft.

Drew Brees' NFL success should help Tim Tebow's NFL draft stock - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

"I can remember NFL critics saying the same thing when Drew was a senior," Tiller said Thursday. "'He's in that Purdue offense all the time. He lines up in the shotgun all the time, and our guys line up under center.'
"It's not like college football has a monopoly on the shotgun formation. Now that I'm out of coaching, I've watched more NFL football this year than I have the last 10 years combined. There's hardly any team in the league that doesn't have their quarterback in the shotgun anymore -- including [Ben] Roethlisberger, JaMarcus Russell. Not small guys. The entire league is doing what Drew Brees was criticized for coming out of college."
Brees, a two-time Heisman finalist, led the Boilermakers to their first Rose Bowl appearance in 34 years and broke the Big Ten's career passing records. A three-year starter, Brees threw for 11,792 yards, 90 touchdowns and 45 interceptions. Initially projected as a mid-first round pick, Brees slipped to the first pick of the second round in the 2001 draft. We all know how that's turned out.

mike maycock, at nfl network said it best thursday. he said to ignore the talking heads about tebow and give the kid a chance. he might make it, he might not. but don't trash him until he has proved otherwise in the pros.

I agree with this, but Isn't Mike Maycock also a talking head ?

Good article from Stewart Mandel at SI.com as he compares Tebow to Drew Brees who had the same problems before the draft.

Drew Brees' NFL success should help Tim Tebow's NFL draft stock - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

"I can remember NFL critics saying the same thing when Drew was a senior," Tiller said Thursday. "'He's in that Purdue offense all the time. He lines up in the shotgun all the time, and our guys line up under center.'
"It's not like college football has a monopoly on the shotgun formation. Now that I'm out of coaching, I've watched more NFL football this year than I have the last 10 years combined. There's hardly any team in the league that doesn't have their quarterback in the shotgun anymore -- including [Ben] Roethlisberger, JaMarcus Russell. Not small guys. The entire league is doing what Drew Brees was criticized for coming out of college."
Brees, a two-time Heisman finalist, led the Boilermakers to their first Rose Bowl appearance in 34 years and broke the Big Ten's career passing records. A three-year starter, Brees threw for 11,792 yards, 90 touchdowns and 45 interceptions. Initially projected as a mid-first round pick, Brees slipped to the first pick of the second round in the 2001 draft. We all know how that's turned out.

This uis VERY different from the Offense that Brees was in and the one Tebow was in.
Brees was in a Shotgun offense, but the real issue is Brees could make all the throws and had good mechanics, Tebow does NOT have good mechanics and has a long sweeping passing motion.
Brees didn't have any of that to worry about.

The Shotgun vs the under center is NOT the biggest problem Tebow has, the passing motion is.

These two names should not be in the same Paragraph, let alone the same sentence, they have nothing in common other than the shotgun.

yeah, jimbo, maycock is a talking head with the nfl network. but he's the only guy i heard all week who at least made some sense. tebow has nfl supporters. i don't think going to mobile was a mistake. i really don't think he could have hurt his draft stock any worse than what it was before...contrary to what todd mcshay said. tebow is showing a willingness to learn, which means he's probably coachable. those are factors you can't ignore.

yeah, jimbo, maycock is a talking head with the nfl network. but he's the only guy i heard all week who at least made some sense. tebow has nfl supporters. i don't think going to mobile was a mistake. i really don't think he could have hurt his draft stock any worse than what it was before...contrary to what todd mcshay said. tebow is showing a willingness to learn, which means he's probably coachable. those are factors you can't ignore.
I agree with the being coachable , and thats a good thing, but if they think that he can be tought how to become a QB the correct way in a few short weeks ... thats absurd.

no, it isn't going to happen in a few days or a few weeks. it only takes one team to want him and think they can work with him. anyhow, he'll be running a pro offense this afternoon at the senior bowl so we'll see what happens.

I have been following the Winnipeg Blue Bombers forum & they have been discussing Tim Tebow also. I don't know if he is the head coach,but a/the coach of the Montreal Alouettes is supposed to be working with Tim Tebow in Mobile & that is fueling speculation that he might go to the CFL.

I have been following the Winnipeg Blue Bombers forum & they have been discussing Tim Tebow also. I don't know if he is the head coach,but a/the coach of the Montreal Alouettes is supposed to be working with Tim Tebow in Mobile & that is fueling speculation that he might go to the CFL.

that's the first i've heard that.

Smaller players measure up - JSOnline

Tebow making progress

No prospect has been more pored over at the Senior Bowl than former Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow of Florida.
Tebow hasn't missed a practice this week despite a case of strep throat.
Going from being primarily a runner in the spread offense, Tebow has had his share of struggles working under center.
"He's gotten better each day," Sparano said. "He's made good progress that way. He's starting to see some things a little different, had a very good one-on-one period today. Really threw the ball well in some man-to-man stuff out there. I've been impressed with what he's done."
Veteran NFL coach Mark Trestman, who is the coach of the CFL Montreal Alouettes, has been tutoring Tebow and said he has the skills to be a starter in the NFL.
"There's no doubt in my mind," Trestman said. "He's got a few things to work on and it's going to be a little bit of a process, but all the skills are there."
Some scouts think Tebow's release takes too much time for the pro level.
"I think there's definitely room for improvement to quicken it, but there are other guys playing in the league that have similar releases," Tebow said.
Packers general manager Ted Thompson said Tebow should be given a chance to develop.
"I've just met him once, but from everything that I see, he's a winner first, he's a tremendous leader, and he's highly motivated. And those things lead to good things and he's always won," Thompson said. "I think he should have a chance to play. There's a lot of people that discount him, but that might be a little bit premature."

yikes, he stunk it up during the senior bowl. it will be interesting to see what happens next at either the scouting combine at the end of february or at his pro day, if he has one.

While there is no obvious comparison between Tim Tebow & John Elway,I remember when John Elway lined up behind a guard instead of the center,& look where his career ended up.

Personally,the smart thing for Tim Tebow to do would be to go to the CFL to develop his pro game. Since there is more NFL Europe to develop players,his best option is the CFL. Since he'd be considered a "project" anyway,there would be no high expectations for him in the CFL(unlike with Ricky Williams & the Toronto Argonauts). If he develops well,he could come back ala Joe Theismann,Warren Moon,Jeff Garcia,& Doug Flutie.

While there is no obvious comparison between Tim Tebow & John Elway,I remember when John Elway lined up behind a guard instead of the center,& look where his career ended up.

Most QB's have done that at least ONCE in thier career .....
Wouldn't want to be the guard at that time though :eek:

Personally,the smart thing for Tim Tebow to do would be to go to the CFL to develop his pro game. Since there is more NFL Europe to develop players,his best option is the CFL. Since he'd be considered a "project" anyway,there would be no high expectations for him in the CFL(unlike with Ricky Williams & the Toronto Argonauts). If he develops well,he could come back ala Joe Theismann,Warren Moon,Jeff Garcia,& Doug Flutie.

This IS an option, but I bet someone in the NFL will take a shot at him, in the late rounds if nothing else.
In a higher round if he decides to go to a different position.

I think he would fit in perfectly with the Colts. No hurry to be the QB, learning from Peyton Manning and Tom Moore, plus if not a QB could learn from Dallas Clark to be a good Tight End.

Being drafted #27 overall (Marino) in the first round, even if four QB's were picked ahead of you, is not a 'late round surprise'. Tom Brady was a late round surprise...

I once went back and read some pre-draft scouting reports on Marino. He was commonly criticized for throwing to receivers who were double and triple covered. The scouts agreed that you simply can't succeed doing that in the pros because the defensive backs as much more talented. Fool on them!

As far as Tebow's upside is concerned, I don't have an opinion on the subject, but I do remember having been concerned that Larry Bird was too slow and his arms were too short for him to ever become a top caliber NBA basketball player. Johnny Unitas wasn't exactly a physical specimen, himself.

I think that a few years in the CFL would be perfect for him. He would immediately become the starting quarterback and benefit greatly from that experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts