Obtaining G10R 123.0W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bluemaxxx

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
This is what I have at this point.

Using a 40" dish I connected to a Ariza 500 and received 74% S ... 65% to 95% (jumpng back and forth) for Q. Skewed at about 14ish west. I'm located in southern Saskatchewan Canada.

Then hooked up my VSExtreme ... G10R ... S 75% ... Q 23% to 35% or 0%).
VSEx settings:
Sat - G10R
LNB Power - On
LNB type - Universal
LNB Freq - 10750
22KHZ - Off
Tp Freq - 11720 (????)
Diseqc 1.0 - None
Motor - Off
Legacy - None

I'm using a Gospell Linear Standard LNB GKF-D21L.
New RG6 cable. I used a straight cable from dish to receiver ... no 4X1 switch connected. I did a blind scan and received 16 channels and 2 radio. I realize I will have to tweek the dish abit yet .. but I know I'm dam close.

I'm just not sure of the Tp Freq. setting ... it is at 11720 ... is this the proper setting?

Its just abit confusing receiving 2 different S/Q on 2 different receivers. Any new direction appreciated. This is my 1st attempted at trying to venture out to obtain and test various free birds.

The quality meter on different brands and models of receivers register different readings from the same signals.

There are other active TP's on G10R as well. You'll need to get someone to move the dish in small increments while you watch the quality meter to get it peaked.

I don't have that receiver, but I'm thinking the LNB Type should be "Standard" or "Single" and "Not Universal".
And unless you are using a DiSeQc Switch (and you say "no 4X1 switch connected"), it should be "Off".

Al

You should get a good signal with that dish and LNBF combination. The 40" dish has lots of gain (40.32dB at 12.5 GHz) and the LNBF should be a 0.5dB noise factor. However, as Iceburg has pointed out, the LNBF needs to be set to standard and not Universal. With this setting wrong, you would not be receiving 11720 when you set your receiver to 11720 as the oscillator frequency is wrong. Take your time fine tuning the dish once you find the Quality rising when you are pointed at G10R. It takes some time to fine tune, but once you have adjusted your dish a few times to peak it, it will become easier. Don't expect to get it peaked pefectly the first time. The key is to make very small adjustments once you have located the satellite signal. Remember, it is the quality that you are looking for and not the signal strength. You will get signal strength pointed at the ground. Read the various posts on fine tuning your dish for tips. Also don't forget, that adjusting the LNBF, both in and out from the dish as well as rotating the LNBF will also help in peaking the Quality.

Currently my tower with my dishes is down as I'm adding another section for my digital TV reception. I have a little work to do painting the tower and adding a new homemade antenna. I'm missing my RTN channels, but everything should be back up by the end of the weekend if the rain hold off.

Thanks to All

Thank you gentlemen for your input ... I will take the advise and put it to work ... I'll update later once this bloody rain stops.

:)

G10R Update

Sorry its been awhile since last post.
I now use a Invacom LNB ... scaned in 86 channels ... a few double channels and some appear to be scrambled for lack of a better word to use.

I used a Birdog to locate sat. ... I have about 70% signal But I could not get Q at all. Man, using a Birdog it I would think I could find some Q to boot??

This time I set LNB type at (Universal) on my VSExtreme 2000.
TP Freq at 11720. Maybe I should change the LNB freq. to 12114 or 11806 and see what else happens in the blind scan.

Any other suggestions welcomed and thank you.

I think all the popular Invacom LNBs are Universal except the circular/linear, quad-output model: QPH-031.
It's Standard.

Anole

Thanks for your response.
Yea, the one I have is a "Quad Polar Legacy 4 O/P LNB
NF 0.3dB
Part #: QPH-031

You suggest LNB type set at "Standard".

I'll re-set and scan and see what happens.

FYI:
I did play with skewing the LNB also to try bring Q into the picture.
I've also download into my Birdog G10R KV and KH ... I will check both for best results.

I'll post results.
Thanks again.

The LNBF should be set to standard as you have mentioned.
You should be connected to the L or Linear port of the LNBF. Attached it with no motor or switches while you are peaking the dish. Set the L.O. to 10750

Keep trying. The dish is very tricky to peak, but with small adjustments you will get there. With a 40" dish you will be able to get a good signal. Don't give up, it can be nerve racking at times, but keep trying.

Also make sure you are on an active transponder (refer to the link provided by concord for an active transponder) when you are adjusting the dish.

By very small movenents, look at the LNBF and when you make an adjustment you do not want it to move more than a half of an inch in any direction at a time. Once it has moved it may take 4 or 5 seconds for the receiver to respond.

Larry1

Thank you sir.

I was out to day trying again ... Birdog showing high S on both KV and KH ... but no Q showing yet. I'll keep at her.

Thanks again

I found out that sometimes it's better to start again with static azmuth, elevation and skew adjustment for the bird in your area than go from there. You can drive yourself nuts sometimes by just swinging the dish around. When I get to that point I recheck all my original angles and I hit the bird right away and Q starts to come in.:)

To practice your dish pointing and tweeking, you can try one of the DBS (circular) satellites. You will have to change the receiver settings for the other type of LNBF (and connection to your LNBF to circular) as well as the satellite and transponder settings in the receiver, but they are much easier to point at. This will give some practice at pointing, and if you try for EchoStar 7/9 you will be very close to G10R. In doing this you may find that you were close to where you thought they should be or were off a fair bit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)