Old Fart Moment???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
With all of the old classic TV shows that are being broadcast and also available on other media do any of you ever run into "What the heck are you talking about (old fart)???" :eek:
The other day at the gas station the total price reminded me of the old show Room 222 and I mentioned that to the cashier that looked to be in her late 40's. She had no idea on what I was talking about and since the place was not to busy we were talking more old shows or I should say I was talking. This is not the first time that this has happened to me either! The strange thing is that it seems like more of the younger generation (under 25) know more old shows than the ones that grew up with them when they were being broadcast on TV in their heyday. Either the TV was on 24/7 when I was growing up or the younger generation watches more stuff in between their endless texting, chatting online, gaming, playing MP3s and uploading/downloading videos online. :wacko:

"Well that old show is in Black & White. Nobody watches that. If I wanted to look at Black & White I'd read a book." Is what I get at home :)

I guess that was a bad example. I never really watched that show but my grandma had it on so I knew what it was. (I thought that I remember it being in color?) The cashier and others recently have never heard of a lot of the old shows that a lot of us enjoy.

I guess that was a bad example. I never really watched that show but my grandma had it on so I knew what it was. (I thought that I remember it being in color?) The cashier and others recently have never heard of a lot of the old shows that a lot of us enjoy.
Probably was in color. I never watched it either. I was kind of speaking generally about what happens in my house when I suggest an old B&W show

Everytime I go to the grocery store I chat with the cashier about the price of things.
I tell them that a true pound of coffee used to be just 89 cents 20 years ago. I get a "WOW!" every time.

When I tell them that when I was 16yro and just starting to drive, gas cost 29 cents a gallon and that I could fill my gas tank for a $5 bill.

They look at me like I'm a three headed Martian.. :eek:

Speaking of the price of gas, I can remember seeing gas at 13 cents a gallon during some of the "gas wars" they had back when I was very young, ie, 10/12 years old. FYI, "gas war" was when gas station operators would keep undercutting prices of other stations in town. Didn't happen often and was usually short lived.

I worked at a gas station part time when I was in high school and regular gas then was around 27 cents a gallon.

Speaking of the price of gas, I can remember seeing gas at 13 cents a gallon during some of the "gas wars" they had back when I was very young, ie, 10/12 years old. FYI, "gas war" was when gas station operators would keep undercutting prices of other stations in town. Didn't happen often and was usually short lived.

I worked at a gas station part time when I was in high school and regular gas then was around 27 cents a gallon.

Yep! I remember walking to the local gas station when i was a kid to fill up my 2 plus gallon gas can for under a buck.

Yep! I remember walking to the local gas station when i was a kid to fill up my 2 plus gallon gas can for under a buck.
I do remember back in the black & white TV days and friends would make a comment "This car must have a big, big, gas tank. I just put a little over $6.00 in it and I was almost on empty." The car was big back then also. Like those boats(cars) on 5-O.

RT.

Probably around the same time I was selling Players cigarettes in the Mini Mart grocery for 99 cents per package.

99Cents a pack??? Back when I started smoking @ 13 years old, a pack of Pall Mall's were 35 cents out of the vending machine at the corner store! A Dr. Pepper was 7 cents and in a returnable bottle. If you took the bottle home that cost another 3 cents. You might say that I'm 3 days older than dirt! ;-)

I remember gas @.29 a gallon,but minimum wage was $1.50 an hour.
So it's all relative.
My first sixpack was $2,which was 1 hour minimum wage.
A sixpack now is 1 hour minimum wage,so you can say the price of beer never went up.

When I was 15/16yro and just starting to drive, the regular price of gas was 32 cents. We had just come off of that Arab embargo stuff. The stations were having gas wars and it got down to 29 cents for a few weeks..

I remember when they changed the gas pumps and put an extra digit on them, I was confused for months and I couldn't figure out how to use them. I had to get people to help me for a while until I adjusted to them.
They also changed the prominence of the dials. I think the gallons dial used to be the biggest one and the $$ dial was the smallest one because no one really cared about the price. I would go in and buy 10 gallons or 20 gallons and not care about the cost because it was so bleepin cheap. Usually I would just fill up till it overflowed all over the place then hand them a $5 bill and get change back. So all I watched were the gallons dials.

Once they changed it so the $$ dials were the prominent ones, and with an extra digit, I got really confused. I was so angry and just couldn't grasp what they had done. It didn't make sense to me to be watching the money dials..
I dunno, maybe I'm just a simple minded dipstick.. Now the frickin things YAP LOUDLY at you trying to sell you additives, car washes, etc.. I always BEAT on the SHUT UP NOW BUTTON...... :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Around here most of those things finally got removed because people would beat on them and BREAK them because it was sooooo annoying... :whistle:
Thank goodness that fad is almost over!

And when I was a kid...cable TV cost $5 per month. ...

When I was a kid and we went on a trip and got to the big city, I remember seeing signs that said "Cable TV".

I recall asking my big brother, "What is cable TV?"

He replied, "That is where they have color TV and they watch shows without any commercials!"

When I was a kid and we went on a trip and got to the big city, I remember seeing signs that said "Cable TV".

I recall asking my big brother, "What is cable TV?"

He replied, "That is where they have color TV and they watch shows without any commercials!"

Now we pay big bucks and get lots of commercials.:mad:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)