Openbox S9 August firmware from Sat Guys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Nosbod

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Blind River Ontario
I just wanted to try the Satellite Guys OPen box S9 August firmware which was reported to be a solid firmware. I installed this firmware and my receiver is toast. When it rebooted all I get on the receiver is NOCH and that's it. My TV screen doesn't light nothing. I can't even go back to my old firmware. I've rebooted with the button on the back and I get the same message NOCH.

Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

NOCH means no channels are loaded in the receiver....when you load new software that nukes the channel list

it might have got bumped to PAL mode and you cant see anything on the TV. How is it hooked up (a/v cables, HDMI, Component)?

You might have to hit the v-format button a few times to get it back to NTSC (instead of PAL)

Hooked up HDMI and I scrolled throught the vformat giving each push on the remote about 15 seconds just to make sure the video changed and still nothing.

I dont have a S9 so hopefully someone with one can comment on how to scroll through to get the right format

Hook it up to the component side, just yellow will do no need for audio. You may get a real strange hard to read screen, but you can read it. Then go in the menu and go to system setup and then TV system and change your resolution to 1080i_60. I go through this every time I change firmware. Then you can load your channels back in if you saved them, reboot and your good to go. Yeah you won't see anything on HDMI until you do this. Then you can plug your HDMI cable back in.

Depends on your TV. I loaded that firmware earlier and was viewing with my little 10" LCD
with the AV output and screen went whako. Switched to the HD set through HDMI and
had a picture fine but the S9 was set to 1080i_50. Switched it back to 1060i_60 as you
said and all was fine on both sets. My 47" Vizio displays 1080i_50.

Thanks guys for the quick responce, the component cable did the trick but your right Ke4est it is a bitch to try and read. I didn't change the screen resolution I couldn't find, pretty hard to read the screen. When I saw something I reconized like favorites I exited counted down until I got to tools and enter. Scrolled until I found Upgrade by USB and saw something that said dump. I just pushed enter and waited a few seconds and the blue screen appeared saying open box. I unplugged the component and plug in HDMI pushed the menu button and I was back. I when into sat set up and I had nothing selected so I new I had the new firmware instead of my dump copy. I installed my backup of the sats and everything seems to be working O.K.

Thanks Again

i loaded the latest firmware for the s9 on my solomend. it says skyfox on the screen now. i did a new install using diseqc 2 with my gbox 3000 and dmx-741 on a 6' dish. one of the things that worked in the last firmware was moving the dish. when the dish went to a new satellite and found signal the moving dish would go away. now even when i go from g19 k-band to g19 c-band it still has the moving dish display for a long time. another thing i am getting used to is when i search on a transponder, after the search it goes to another satellite. haven't figured out why it is doing that yet. i haven't figured out the recording yet also. it won't play old recordings and now when i record it has ps or ts to choose from. i did a short recording and was not able to find it to play it. flash drive is ntfs. charlie

If I install this firmware on my Open Box S10 do you know if I will have to go through the same procedure again.

Thanks

yep same thing for the S10.

I checked my firmware version this morning after I did the flash last night and I still had the old firmware on so this morning I reflashed with the August firmware. You know things just seem to go better with coffee in your system instead of woobly pop. The one thing I noticed was I had a slight freezing problen with the old firmware and that has seem to of disappeared, everything else seems the same. My wife is happy, and you know what they say. If the wife is happy you are happy.

The S10 doesn't have composite and it's hooked with the RCA connectors so I will see what happens.

Thanks Again

With the PAL default FW, one must remember step one of the SSO setup procedure.
Step (1): MENU, DOWN(Twice), ENTER, DOWN(Once), ENTER, LEFT(or Right)* until picture appears.(*Do not hold. Press and release, wait a few seconds, Repeat) I have this in a text file I can look at when loading FW. (I don't remember stuff like this that well) I also wrote it in the back cover of the User's Manual (That actually made it, the manual, Useful:))

I installed the August firmware on the S10 and everything went O.K. It seems you only have that problem If you are connected HDMI. The S10 was connected with the RCA red/white/whatever and it booted up fine no problems with video.

I don't remember this issue when I upgraded to this FW issue, but, each install has its 'unique" results in this hobby! I use HDMI for the living room and standard video to feed phone-line distribution of SD to bedroom/DVD recorder.

I installed the August firmware on the S10 and everything went O.K. It seems you only have that problem If you are connected HDMI. The S10 was connected with the RCA red/white/whatever and it booted up fine no problems with video.

Yeah it is just HDMI. I would still go change it to 1080i-60. So if it every gets moved you won't have to scratch your head for a min.:D

i haven't figured out the recording yet also. it won't play old recordings and now when i record it has ps or ts to choose from. i did a short recording and was not able to find it to play it. flash drive is ntfs. charlie

When you're on the media player screen, press the "1" key to cycle between the different types of media (the tabs at the top of the screen will change) til you get to recordings.

It won't play the .dvr files from the old firmware. If you want to play them on the receiver, you'd need to plug the drive into a computer, use the conversion program to convert them to .ts files, then put them back on the drive and play them through the media player. At least I think you'll have to play them through the media player, rather than the recording playback screen, since they won't have the recording info with them anymore. I haven't tried it myself -- all my recordings from the old format are now on my computer for playback, and the drive only has the new-format recordings. Also, you'll notice that the new firmware puts recordings in a different folder than the old ones.

I put this version of firmware on my S10 and it works fine. I like the menus better than the new S10 menus.
And now it pretty mimics my parent's S9, at least as far as the menus go.

It's also now much easier to navigate the playback of saved/recorded files than the S10 was. The S10 navigation, s**ked...
Still, no cl*ck but I didn't say that, you didn't read that. I guess the tuner had a defective cl*ck part in it. Oh well.

I'm sticking with this version of firmware as it's the "approved" version so I'll have better luck getting help when I have problems with it.
I'm going to load this same version on my parent's S9 so that we essentially have twin systems and when THEY have problems I can talk them through it on the phone.

As for the video, it does indeed come up in a foreign video mode but you can sort of see it enough to navigate through and change it.
I only have it hooked to a 7" TV with the yellow wires so it's not a big deal. I just use it to record stuff then copy it over to my PC.

I bought a USB switch box so now it's extremely easy and fast to move files between my PC, the disk and the tuner. :D

:eek:k:
This is a keeper by far. It tooked me a very long time to make the final decision to load a new firm in my (2) S9 and (2) solomend. Really like the 3 columns even if is take me more time to change from sat to sat. I used to navigate side by side with the arrow. I kept asking myself what the Accurate Scan is there for. Never before I have the media player for movies, only music. So far I have watch some DVD movies in the original .vob format. Only problems is that take some time to get familiarize choosing the right .vob which has the movie. I was very happy to see that the AUDIO button in the remote works to choose different languages if they are included in the movie. Does anybody knows how to watch movies in *.AVI format?? Is there anyway I can convert them so they can be recognize???? Will recommend this version to anyone using an older one!!!
;)

I just made a little discovery.

I saw everyone saying that the brightness & contrast settings don't work when you have an old school TV hooked up by the yellow wires.

Just go to the display settings and change it from Video out = YUV to Video out = RGB.
Bingo! Now you can change your brightness and stuff by the S 9/10 remote control on your old school TV..

:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)