OTA Upgrade OK'd by VOOM, but Installers, Inc Nixed it

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
ABout 2 weeks ago, after some very welcome help from a couple of your forum members in getting a better installer, I got the VOOM dish, OTA (WIneguard Sensor) and Receiver installed. All seemed ok. I have had the DVI Cable conflict, but VOOM engineers working on that and will remain patient on that.

HOWEVER, I cannot reliably get the PBS station that was one of the 3 Digital local stations VOOM promised I would get with either the Installed OTA OR an upgrade.

I cannot get the PBS station (25 miles in the opposite direction from the other 2 network stations). I checked Antenna Web and it states that with the lightest multi-directional antenna (powered), I should be able to get all 3 of the stations, including the PBS station.

I had called VOOM and they agreed and authorized an antenna upgrade (not certain if that meant a multi-directional or not).

However, the Service/Installer from Installers, Inc said that Installers, Inc decided NOT to authorize this Antenna Upgrade because they didn't "think" it would work for the stations in opposite directions.

What can I do?

I have the Wineguard Sensor pointing toward the CBS/ABC stations that are about 44 miles away and get reliable, consistent reception.

Do I void the warranty if I try to move it somehow--don't see how I can easily?

What antenna upgrade should VOOM authorize that would be apowered multi-directional (Omni) that would pull in the 44 mile stations to the southeast and also the 25 mile PBS station to the northwest?

I will call VOOM back, but need to have some intelligent background, given that I already thought this was authorized and then find out that Installers, Inc overrulled VOOM.

My zip and address:

22471 470th Ave

Hmm

:yes My installer jumped through hoops doing everything to get me my locals - I know he tried three different types....FOX is still in+out but we have concluded that wind and a big fern is to blame. He split the OTA signal for me so that when I can't get FOX in I can just switch to a regular antenna feed..

HD_Eric said:
:yes My installer jumped through hoops doing everything to get me my locals - I know he tried three different types....FOX is still in+out but we have concluded that wind and a big fern is to blame. He split the OTA signal for me so that when I can't get FOX in I can just switch to a regular antenna feed..

Can you elaborate about the wind and the big fern? My first installer instaleld the OTA behind the VOOM dish so that part of the OTA is touching and shielded by the VOOM dish itself--terrible install.

Also, wind seems to decrease the signal--but why?

bookwalk,
I would call voom again but from what i have experiance myself it is very hard to pick up station that are in 2 different direction with the sensor II > We have the same problem here in indy cant get channel 4 cause it is a different direction and but i am not sure how much voom will press on this issue cause you are getting your mane network station and i am really surprise that they approved you for an upgrade for 1 station cause they usally don't do that exspecially if it not abc, nbc, cbs or fox
hope everything works out for you .

t

My first installer instaleld the OTA behind the VOOM dish so that part of the OTA is touching and shielded by the VOOM dish itself-

this is how most of the voom antenna are installed.

Installing the OTA behind the VOOM--part of the Sensor II is behind and touching? Why is it they do it this way? If the wind blows and the signal cuts out--couldn't there be some problem with the OTA touching or hitting the VOOM dish?

They install them that close? The VOOM CSR I talked to didn't think that was correct--so they have authorized a service call to move the OTA, but don't want to waste the Installer's time if that won't help?

bookwalk said:
Installing the OTA behind the VOOM--part of the Sensor II is behind and touching? Why is it they do it this way? If the wind blows and the signal cuts out--couldn't there be some problem with the OTA touching or hitting the VOOM dish?

They install them that close? The VOOM CSR I talked to didn't think that was correct--so they have authorized a service call to move the OTA, but don't want to waste the Installer's time if that won't help?

No it should not be touching you dish but it is hook right to back of you dish. i would have to see a picture to see if it might be interfering .

TYORK said:
No it should not be touching you dish but it is hook right to back of you dish. i would have to see a picture to see if it might be interfering .

Is there anyway to post a picture here?

"bookwalk", we had trouble with our OTAs in wind (and we don't get wind like you do). The wind would move the antenna just slightly and we'd lose several stations. I'm with TYORK that your OTA should not be touching the sat dish. You can have the OTA antenna moved off of the sat antenna pole.

My guess why VOOM authorized the upgraded antenna in the first place is that you can only receive 3 OTAs and they were trying to make sure you could get all of them.
I assume out where you live the OTAs both analog and digital are few and far between.

I'd call VOOM back and have them talk with you and Installs, Inc. in a 3 way hookup. They did it for us on a OTA issue and we got it resolved. Good luck.

Still enjoying HDTV under "Drought Emergency" Seattle skies, Gill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)