Perplexed over diplexers and other letters of the alphabet

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

blkhawk666

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 22, 2004
Ok, so being a greenhorn, when hearing words like diplexer/duplexor (seen different spellings for this) OTA, SD's, and PQ, I just get a blank look on my face cause I don't know what this all means. Can some one tell me what a diplexer is and what does it do, and do I need it or should I not worry? Or maybe if I wear long pant no one will notice I have one?
and if you can give me a cheat sheet on words I'll come across that are abbreviated!

Thanks......

Just trying to make sense out of all this!

Diplexer takes the satellite signal (one coax) and the OTA signal (a different coax than the satellite) and outputs them both in one coax line (combine them both).

Duplexer = a switching device that permits alternate transmission and reception with the same radio antenna

OTA = Off the air antenna reception

PQ = I forget what PQ is ( pixal quality? ) Basically they are talking about how clear the picture is. The more pixal depth you have the clearer the quality of the picture becomes.

OTA = your local stations ABC,NBC,etc. that broadcast free Over The Air, which you can get with an antenna.

SD = standard defintion, or TV as you've known it for the last 50yrs, as opposed to HD = high definition.

PQ = picture quality.

It's all getting clear

Thanks guys! Its all starting to get as Chrystal clear as I hope my hdtv will be on the 4th when they install V*.

Also whats E*?

D* = Direct TV

OAR = Original Aspect Ratio

Diplexer is sometimes mistakenly referred to as Duplexer

Splitter takes the combined Satellite and OTA signal and sends it to another TV through coaxial cable (RG6 or RG59).

SD = Standard Definition ( a 'regular' TV set; not HD) or it is used to refer to program content that is not high definition.

Let's sum it up because I was once in your boat:

STB..........Set Top Box
OTA..........Over/Off the Air
PQ............Picture Quality
SQ............Sound Quality
HD............C'mon
SD............Standard Definition
E*............Echostar/Dish Network
D*............DirectTV
V*............Voom
Rupert.......D*
Charlie.......E*
Dolan's......V*

I'm having a brain fart on the rest......anyone else feel free to add as necessary.

People interchange STB and IRD, but I have no idea what IRD is. Also, some of the technical guys use things like TP/QBERT and Clark Kent's Belt when talking about satellites, and I don't know what that means either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)