Phlat's Birdview Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't have pictures because my lnb is enclosed, but I used the existing threaded holes to mount my lnb.

If you have the same scalar as I do, it has four cast-in threaded holes used to mount the Birdview LNBA. I got little one inch angle brackets from the hardware store (the kind you brace up furniture corners with), I had to drill one side of them out so the I could mount them to the scalar. Then I had four smaller bolts with nuts going through the other hole in the bracket and adjusted out until it pressed against the lnb and held it in place.

But I still have the BSC 621. I'm sure there would be clearance issues with other kinds of units.

Very interesting idea/method, Lone Cloud, believe I know exactly what you did.

I do have those same 4 holes and will look at trying something like that. :up

I don't have pictures because my lnb is enclosed, but I used the existing threaded holes to mount my lnb.

If you have the same scalar as I do, it has four cast-in threaded holes used to mount the Birdview LNBA. I got little one inch angle brackets from the hardware store (the kind you brace up furniture corners with), I had to drill one side of them out so the I could mount them to the scalar. Then I had four smaller bolts with nuts going through the other hole in the bracket and adjusted out until it pressed against the lnb and held it in place.

But I still have the BSC 621. I'm sure there would be clearance issues with other kinds of units.

That's simply genius! Never would have thought of wrapping sandpaper around a hole saw? That's an idea I hope I can remember..!!
Thanks...!!!!

Thanks, v-v! That idea didn't really come together until I thought of using the hose clamps, one at first, then 2 when the sandpaper "shims" were added, and one clamp was having trouble keeping the sandpaper from spinning on the holesaw. :)

Lone Cloud got me thinking of ways to use the 4 existing tapped holes in the back of the scalar plate to retain the feedhorn, thought of several possible methods but didn't have the materials on hand to do what I really wanted to do, this was about my 3rd choice....crude but (hopefully) effective.

I thought about making 2 more brackets and using all 4 holes, but the feedhorn fits the scalar opening so well I don't think they are necessary.

You can also see some progress on the support arms. I need to add some threads to the broken end of 2 of them, so we chucked one end in a cordless drill and took off some of the rod with a bench grinder (while rotating the rod with the cordless), then we used the 60 grit sandpaper again, needs a little more taken off but it's getting close.

Attachments

• Sat Birdview Scalar Retainer.JPG
    Sat Birdview Scalar Retainer.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 223
  • Sat Birdview Scalar Retainer2.JPG
    Sat Birdview Scalar Retainer2.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 214
powder coat

I was just looking at your latest pictures of the back side of the scalar (I assume).
Wondering how to properly clean the metal to restore it to factory new.
(I know, it doesn't show or matter, but that's what ran through my mind) - :rolleyes:

Then, I thought about the front side.
There must be some technical excuse why that should be clean and painted.

Recently on an automotive show, I saw a kit to do home powder coating.
You bake it in an oven to cure the 'dust'.
Small parts might be done in a toaster oven, I think.

Which other parts might benefit from such a coating?

Lone Cloud got me thinking of ways to use the 4 existing tapped holes in the back of the scalar plate to retain the feedhorn, thought of several possible methods but didn't have the materials on hand to do what I really wanted to do, this was about my 3rd choice....crude but (hopefully) effective.

I thought about making 2 more brackets and using all 4 holes, but the feedhorn fits the scalar opening so well I don't think they are necessary.

You can also see some progress on the support arms. I need to add some threads to the broken end of 2 of them, so we chucked one end in a cordless drill and took off some of the rod with a bench grinder (while rotating the rod with the cordless), then we used the 60 grit sandpaper again, needs a little more taken off but it's getting close.

Looking good!

I knew you could do it! :)

My buddy, the superwelder, showed up today and welded the 6" Birdview tubing to the 6" pipe. I'm pretty sure he could weld a beer can to a battleship, using a Bic lighter and a coat hanger for filler. Used my little Lincoln mig with .035 flux core wire, very nice job, thanks to "Mr. T". :)

We lapped about 6" of the tubing inside the pipe, ended up with an overall length of right at 12'. Planning on putting about 4' in the ground, I can shorten or lengthen the bottom pipe as required to get my desired BUD height off the ground.

Still waiting for post hole digging volunteers...........:rolleyes:

:D

Attachments

• Sat Birdview Welded Pole.JPG
    Sat Birdview Welded Pole.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 188
  • Sat Birdview Welded Pole2.JPG
    Sat Birdview Welded Pole2.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 220
The pipe looks good. :)

I don't think it will move on you!!! :eek:

Be sure you drill a hole all the way through and put a piece of re-bar or long bolt through near the bottom to keep it from twisting inside the concrete. :D

The pipe looks good. :)

I don't think it will move on you!!! :eek:

Be sure you drill a hole all the way through and put a piece of re-bar or long bolt through near the bottom to keep it from twisting inside the concrete. :D

Thanks, all the credit goes to my welder buddy....he told me if that weld failed he would eat the whole pipe.....and the concrete I used to set it in. :D

You can't see it in the picture but there are a couple of pieces of angle iron welded near the bottom, they should keep it from spinning. :)

Nice work! A thousand years from now, some archealogist will discover your still functioning Birdview and declare it to be a religious idol to the gods of the clarke belt!

AHEM!!!

Try again! :)

Dang Show-Me Staters....LOL

Put on your glasses! :D

attachment.php

Thanks, all the credit goes to my welder buddy....he told me if that weld failed he would eat the whole pipe.....and the concrete I used to set it in.

You can't see it in the picture but there are a couple of pieces of angle iron welded near the bottom, they should keep it from spinning.

Your welder is correct. That pole will never give. Looks good. :D:up

Now if we could get the Head-Knocker at The Birdview Reclamation and Education Center to put his glasses on....:D:):D:D:):D:):D:rolleyes:;):)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts