Professional Installers out there....I'm Desperate for Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Dishjockey, It is Directech.......and yes everyone so far is almost brand new(I've found out waaaaaay more from you guys than their installers know, I have been educating them)......supposedly today we're getting "Their Best Man" out of the regional office......so we'll see.

Cliff, it is a Phase III, so it does require a skew......no one has suggested a bent LNB yet, so that's an idea.......if I could just get them to replace the LNB, we might get somewhere. I can't trust them up on the roof by themselves!!!!! they don't do what they say they are doing.....

Well the expert was out today. He refused to even test a different LNB, said it was very obvious to him that a tree was the problem. He said that the other installers were looking in the wrong direction, that they needed compass lessons. It is a rather tall spruce tree and he said that probably the Odd transponders are coming around it and the evens can't. Don't know if this makes sense, but I made him tell me exactly what tree it is and I told him "I am holding you to this". He said well its just my educated opinion. So I'll take down that tree and see what happens. I asked about the height thing and he said we'd have to go too high to get around the tree.

However, He was afraid of heights, said he'd never have put it that high on the roof in the first place and that he's refused jobs where there was a roof like ours...........so, I don't know if he's talking out his a* or not..........I'll keep you all posted. oh and he called the tree a pine tree, and I said "Do you mean spruce tree" and he said "oh yeah, it is a spruce tree!" Come on.......they don't really look much alike!!!!!

Absolutely!!!!! You guys will be the first to know the results of the tree falling in the forest!!!!!!!!!

I'm reading this for entertainment. Considering that you live just south of igloos, I will not be surprised if this turns out to be LOS. As for the dishman not knowing a pine from a spruce....he's the one who knew how to use a compass. ...

You're right........I guess it doesn't really matter WHAT is in the way, as long as you know something is...............and believe me, we still have some igloos up here........it'll be hard taking down that tree there is still at least 2 feet of snow in the woods.........

Bill1955 said:
It is a rather tall spruce tree and he said that probably the Odd transponders are coming around it and the evens can't.

I think he's full of it, if a tree is prohibiting one polarization it's going to reduce the other the same amount. Frequencies don't bend around objects!

Like I said if I knew so much about these things, I'd be working on them.

Good luck!!

cliff,

i have skimmed trees etc and got just evens or odds, doesnt happen much , but it has happened. and if that tree falls and the problem is still there, it then HAS to be the LNB

dragon

I don't know Bill's elevation, but living in the woods, at that lattitude, I am surprised he gets DirecTV and very surprised he gets the 3rd, lowest, satellite.

Bill, was this guy up on the roof where the dish was??? And did he have a compass or an inclinometor. I'm sorry, but I can not belive what he told you. You are missing only the evens on the 119 and he is saying that you need to drop a tree. If that was the case... I would have to told him to get a tripod or a higher mast or anything... hell I would have told him to hold the dish on his head and prove to me that the tree was in the way. I would call DirecTv back or as I mentioned before... there has to be a dealer in the area that would help you out. Then call DirecTV and tell them you want a credit for whatever they charge you.

Wobbie, believe me this guy couldn't have held the dish on the roof.........he was too scared and was overweight to boot(I was kinda scared he was going to die in my living room the way he was breathing)the tree is quite tall, I actually suggested him holding up, but he said it wouldn't make a difference.........we're going to drop the tree, probably this weekend..........and I'll let you all know..........I'm trying to remain calm about all this..............

dragon002 said:
wobbie,

for gods sake, LOS or LNB ....PERIOD...END OF STORY

dragon

Dragon,

I agree, but it is geek entertainment.

Bill - you gotta post 2 pictures. 1, of yourself on your roof holding a Phase III dish. 2, from the Dish's perspective, looking Southwest, through the forest.

Anyone that has been to Maine or mapquested Bill's zip code has got to wonder about LOS.

I agree, I agree.....this whole thing has been pretty entertaining........it would have to be since I'm not getting my "HD" channels and I did buy that big new TV!!!!!!!!!!so I need something to keep me occupied!!!!!!

If someone would explain to me how to post pictures here I would let you guys see me with a dish attached to my hat!!!!!!!

Very entertaining. I have had a string of defective LNB 's . Frustrating for me because I only install what a customer takes home. I am curious to find out LNB or LOS. Cant call it from here !!!

I just wanted to comment and say that I have been sitting here reading this thread for quite a while now, and i'm intrigued. It's amazing to me that after this long of time, the installers still can't get it right....
It's either got to be a bad LNB or the dish reflector is bent, or dented or something...

Please get the pics up as soon as possible... i'm very curious to see if this tree is actually in the way, I don't think I have ever had a tree be picky as to which polarity of transponders it would allow through it...

It they don't get it fixed by late June, i'll come take a look at it, i'll be up that way anyway... lol

Well, well.........here's my update...............dropped the tree this morning.......didn't make a damned bit of difference..........signals on 101 and 110 are just a tad bit stronger.......signals on 119 are from odd transponders only...............so the "MOST EXPERIENCED" installer they sent out didn't know what he was talking about either. He pointed right at the tree and said "That's what's in the way take it down and you're in the clear"...........come on.........I"m despondent!! Now I have to call Directv AGAIN.........I'm not calling the installer again......this is crazy. I think, Birddoggy, that it will be late June and I will still be without my HD!!!!!!!!!!! I'll keep you all posted.
P.S. I DON"T KNOW HOW TO POST PICTURES........if someone tells me I'll do it.......

Bill1955 said:
Well, well.........here's my update...............dropped the tree this morning.......didn't make a damned bit of difference..........signals on 101 and 110 are just a tad bit stronger.......signals on 119 are from odd transponders only...............so the "MOST EXPERIENCED" installer they sent out didn't know what he was talking about either. He pointed right at the tree and said "That's what's in the way take it down and you're in the clear"...........come on.........I"m despondent!! Now I have to call Directv AGAIN.........I'm not calling the installer again......this is crazy. I think, Birddoggy, that it will be late June and I will still be without my HD!!!!!!!!!!! I'll keep you all posted.
P.S. I DON"T KNOW HOW TO POST PICTURES........if someone tells me I'll do it.......

Bill
pm Scott or Sean i am sure they can tell you how to post pictures

t

PS I still say you might have a bad LMB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)