PS4 Owners Thread

Got my PSVR hooked up last night and played Skyrim for a bit. It was so cool! The graphics were nothing special but I knew that going in but that didn't stop me from feeling completely immersed in the game. I've never experienced anything like it. I did get motion sick after a little while though. It's such a different experience that my body didn't know what to feel and there were a few times where I felt really dizzy.

I was still able to play for over an hour though which is plenty for my first time. I didn't have time to play any other games or test anything else out. Hoping to do that to today.

Reactions: Derwin0
If you go into Options, there a whole section under VR where you can adjust things to help you react better. It took me a few minutes to fine tune it to the way I needed it.

If you go into Options, there a whole section under VR where you can adjust things to help you react better. It took me a few minutes to fine tune it to the way I needed it.

I played for a half hour at lunch today and really didn’t notice it too much. I think some of it will just have to do with me getting use to it.

How are the controls using the move controllers?

Like I said, I've been playing it with the Dualshock since that's how I played it before.

Got this email today. Looks like no more free ps-plus games for PS3 and Vita.

Hello Derwin0,

PlayStation®3 (PS3™) or PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) titles will be included in the PlayStation®Plus Monthly Games allocation until March 8, 2019.

After March 8, 2019, the Monthly Games provided to PlayStation Plus members will no longer include PS3 or PS Vita titles. Any PS3 or PS Vita Monthly Games downloaded or previously added to your Download List will remain playable for as long as you remain a PlayStation Plus member.

Beyond March 8, 2019, Monthly Games will only include PlayStation®4 (PS4™) titles. All other features and benefits of the PlayStation Plus service will remain unaffected.

What this means for you
As a PlayStation Plus member, you will continue to receive Monthly Games for PS4, PS3 and PS Vita for every month of your membership until March 8, 2019.

After March 8, 2019, PS3 and PS Vita titles will no longer be included in your Monthly Games allocation.

Any PS3 or PS Vita Monthly Games downloaded or previously added to your Download List will remain playable for as long as you remain a PlayStation Plus member.

Further actions
If you do not wish for your PlayStation Plus membership to continue after this change has taken place, cancel your subscription or turn off auto renewal so that your membership period ends by March 8, 2019. When you cancel your membership, your subscription will end at the conclusion of your current billing cycle and you will not be charged additionally. You can use these direct links to check when your next subscription payment is due and manage your account. You’ll need your Sony Entertainment Network sign-in ID and password to log in to your account:

Thank you for your loyalty and support,
PlayStation™

Yeah, the contrast in approaches to their platforms / ecosystems has never been more clear than this week. MS provides graphic options and is One X enhancing back catalog titles while Sony announces the last bits of support for multiple platforms. I wonder how Playstation Now is doing.

Yeah, the contrast in approaches to their platforms / ecosystems has never been more clear than this week. MS provides graphic options and is One X enhancing back catalog titles while Sony announces the last bits of support for multiple platforms. I wonder how Playstation Now is doing.
I don't think Now is doing great, but I don't think Sony cares. They own this generation, so don't feel the need to try things to win players the way Microsoft has been doing.
PS4 vs Xbox One vs Switch Global Lifetime Sales ? January 2018

Besides, are there really any good PS3 games left to give on plus? Even the Xbox 360 games this month (Brave and Quantum Conundrum) seem meh...

I don't think Now is doing great, but I don't think Sony cares. They own this generation, so don't feel the need to try things to win players the way Microsoft has been doing.
PS4 vs Xbox One vs Switch Global Lifetime Sales ? January 2018

Besides, are there really any good PS3 games left to give on plus? Even the Xbox 360 games this month (Brave and Quantum Conundrum) seem meh...

It's more than Gold vs Plus though. It's the entire ecosystem play. Sony is putting their entire mobile and PS3 generation behind them while MS is enhancing and providing ways for people to continue (or experience for the first time) playing many of their most popular games - indefinitely. Remains to be seen if Sony will be willing to commit to a similar strategy, or if they'll really do a software reset with the PS5.

It's more than Gold vs Plus though. It's the entire ecosystem play. Sony is putting their entire mobile and PS3 generation behind them while MS is enhancing and providing ways for people to continue (or experience for the first time) playing many of their most popular games - indefinitely. Remains to be seen if Sony will be willing to commit to a similar strategy, or if they'll really do a software reset with the PS5.
While I prefer backward compatibility and support of older stuff, I think Sony has found out that's not needed. Dumping PS2 compatibility didn't hurt them with the PS3. And not supporting PS3 at all with the PS4 didn't stop them from dominating the Xbox One with over twice as many sales.

Microsoft is currently trying anything and everything to try and catch up, as well as not get overtaken by the Switch (who also isn't being hurt by having no backward compatibility support).

Microsoft is killing it right now. I was using my PS4 more at launch but Microsoft is treating their customers so much better than Sony now that they have won me back over (I played most games on 360 last gen). Backwards compatibility and the change to include all first party games in Game Pass got me to by an Xbox One X last week. My PS4 Pro is just going to be a Sony exclusive machine going forward. Luckily PS4 has a lot of great exclusives. Microsoft is beating them in every other category that matters to me now though. Also it only took me 5 minutes with Forza Horizon 3 to see how much more powerful the X is than the PS4 Pro.

While I prefer backward compatibility and support of older stuff, I think Sony has found out that's not needed. Dumping PS2 compatibility didn't hurt them with the PS3. And not supporting PS3 at all with the PS4 didn't stop them from dominating the Xbox One with over twice as many sales.

Microsoft is currently trying anything and everything to try and catch up, as well as not get overtaken by the Switch (who also isn't being hurt by having no backward compatibility support).

I think people forget just how rough things were looking for the PS3 at launch. Sony dominated the PS2 generation and it made them think they could do whatever they wanted with the PS3 and it would still sell. The 360 came out a year before it with models at $299 and $399. Sony thought they could come in a year later and charge $499 and $599 for their two models.

They had great quotes like this
On Microsoft: "Beating us for a short moment is like accidentally winning a point from a Shihan [karate master], and Microsoft is still not a black belt."

and this
"We want consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one.' We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."

and this
"The PS3 is not a game machine. We've never once called it a game machine...With the PS3, our intentions have been to create a machine with supercomputer calculation capabilities for home entertainment."

They ended up playing catch up to the 360 the entire generation because of the way they handled things at launch. It wasn't until they dropped the price significantly and started making more gamer friendly moves like pumping out tons of exclusives and starting the PS Plus program that they caught up. Even then the 360 outsold it in the US. The PS3 caught up because it did better in other countries.

If you look at all of that and compare it to the Xbox One at launch there are a lot of similarities to what caused all the problems for PS3. The Xbox One launched at $100 higher than the PS4 and they focused on all of the "not a game machine" stuff just like the PS3 did during their big announcement. It didn't help that everyone turned on them because of their DRM system they ended up scrapping before launch too.

Anyways, the point of this long post is to show that these gamer friendly decisions Microsoft is making matter. They were how Sony was able to catch up after stumbling out of the gate with the PS3 and that, along with MS's bad decisions at launch, led to Sony dominating this generation.

It's probably too late for Microsoft to catch Sony this generation but they are still making tons of money off the Xbox One and they are building up lots of goodwill among gamers in the process. If Sony goes with the "we're dominating so it doesn't matter what we do" stance like they did after the PS2 people will be flocking back to Microsoft next generation.

Microsoft is killing it right now.
They are?

At least they aren't in sales. Which is the only thing the companies care about.

january-2018-sales-1-1.png

Nintendo doesn't need BC. They're just porting all their good games over to the Switch. ;p

They are?

At least they aren't in sales. Which is the only thing the companies care about.

january-2018-sales-1-1.png

I'm not sure where these companies are getting their numbers from but according to NPD the Xbox One outsold the PS4 in December and the Xbox One was only 3% behind in January. Besides I explained exactly what I meant when I said they were killing it. I was referring to backwards compatibility and Game Pass not consoles sold.

Also they are doing well in sales. Just because the PS4 is dominating them in sales doesn't mean they are doing bad. The Xbox One has outsold the 360 up to this point in both console's lifetimes. It's just that the PS4 is completely crushing their last generation numbers.

Xbox One vs Xbox 360 | VGChartz Gap Charts | January 2017 Update

I was referring to backwards compatibility and Game Pass not consoles sold.
I've already said I prefer backwards compatibility, but my point is that Sony doesn't care about those, as their experience with the PS4 and PS3 has shown that it's not needed. And the sales numbers back them up.

If Microsoft had been in the lead, or even close, then we'd probably never have had any 360 games on the Xbox One, or even a Game Pass. Those are both measures (that I actually like) that Microsoft has been trying in order to get competitive.

Same as in the last generation, we'd probably not have had free PS Plus game, if Microsoft hadn't jumped to such an early lead. Heck, the gains made due to the PS Plus games are the only reason we got Games with Gold.

I've already said I prefer backwards compatibility, but my point is that Sony doesn't care about those, as their experience with the PS4 and PS3 has shown that it's not needed. And the sales numbers back them up.

If Microsoft had been in the lead, or even close, then we'd probably never have had any 360 games on the Xbox One, or even a Game Pass. Those are both measures (that I actually like) that Microsoft has been trying in order to get competitive.

Same as in the last generation, we'd probably not have had free PS Plus game, if Microsoft hadn't jumped to such an early lead. Heck, the gains made due to the PS Plus games are the only reason we got Games with Gold.

Right but this was exactly my point. If Microsoft makes a bunch of pro consumer moves and Sony says we don't need to do this because we are winning Microsoft can catch up again even if it's not this generation. Sony making these pro consumer moves last generation helped them catch up to the 360 and they were still the pro consumer system at the start of this generation which snowballed into the huge lead they have now.

Sony had an even bigger lead in the PS2 generation and then had to play catch up to the 360 for the entire PS3 generation. There is no reason that can't happen again next generation.

Right but this was exactly my point. If Microsoft makes a bunch of pro consumer moves and Sony says we don't need to do this because we are winning Microsoft can catch up again even if it's not this generation. Sony making these pro consumer moves last generation helped them catch up to the 360 and they were still the pro consumer system at the start of this generation which snowballed into the huge lead they have now.

Sony had an even bigger lead in the PS2 generation and then had to play catch up to the 360 for the entire PS3 generation. There is no reason that can't happen again next generation.
I personally hope they all make pro-consumer choices.

But I don't see BC being one of them, as history has shown the companies that it's not really needed, and if anything a detremate to potential income (as Nintendo has found out with WiiU games ported to Switch only a year or so after they originally came out).

I personally hope they all make pro-consumer choices.

But I don't see BC being one of them, as history has shown the companies that it's not really needed, and if anything a detremate to potential income (as Nintendo has found out with WiiU games ported to Switch only a year or so after they originally came out).

The lack of backwards compatibility doesn't stop a system from selling but that doesn't prove that having backwards compatibility isn't a reason that contributes to some people buying a system. Also games sometimes get new life when Microsoft adds them to backwards compatibility. I have bought several from the digital marketplace long after my 360 was gone. When Red Dead Redemption was added to BC it jumped up from 1,544 on Amazon's sales charts to 26 and this was 6 years after the game came out.
Red Dead Redemption's backward compatibility news jolts sales on Amazon (correction)

Sure backwards compatibility might hurt sales of remastered games but it's not like there is no benefit to Microsoft or the third party publishers who are still selling 360 games. Burnout Paradise will be a good test for this in a couple weeks. The 360 version is backwards compatible on the Xbox One and was given out in Games With Gold. They have a 4K 60 FPS remaster coming out on March 16th.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)