Quality of VOOM on Dish Network

RSAvenell

Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
San Jose, CA
About two months before VOOM took the dive into oblivion, I was lucky enough to sign up, and was soooo happy with the service and programming. Well... we all know what happened and I went crawling back to Dish Network - happy to learn that I would at least be getting back some of my favorite new channels. I am dissapointed that the quality of the picture seems to be nowhere near as good as it was on the VOOM gear. I currently have the Dish Network HD-DVR - which I love, but I was wondering if everyone else was noticing the drop in quality of picture - sometimes it almost looks like SD. I have expecially noticed a drop in quality on Equator HD. Anyone else noticing the same thing?

RSAvenell,

Welcome to the site. I do not know what to say to you but it seems like the VoOM channnels have better quality now than before. The equator HD still has mosquito noise which has nothing to do with the bandwith of the channel but with the production of those programs. If you can specifically point channel and program that it is looking bad, I may turn to it and check it out. Again welcome to the site.

Note: my installer setup all three STBs, (1) 942 and (2) 811s, to output 480p. Make sure you're receiver(s) are outputting at 720p or 1080i. Also, I agree that the PQ is no worse to better when moved over to E*. The content is another story.

Do We Have Voom Or Vo?

I have not noticed a drop in the quality of the VO channels on DISH. As Sean pointed out certain segments of EQUATOR have picture noise or as some call it "mosquito noise." Having done video production myself I surmise that it was a production problem of the individual segments possibly introduced during post production or during the shooting. RUSH varies greatly in quality with some segments clearly bumped up from SD to HD. RAVE has very good quality. Again you have to remember that sometimes you are seeing film and sometimes tape and the qualities may vary. Now if we can get the rest of the Original 21 channels we will have VOOM instead of VO or VO ;) om Lite.

sounds like equipment problem

call dish. there is something wrong. my hd is as good as voom. could be a cable problem somewhere. good luck

I still think PQ was better for me before the migration of VOOM to DISH, even after having my Samsung DLP calibrated. And I'm sure Equator HD was better before the switch; I don't recall any video noise then, and I remember being stunned by the level of detail in aerial shots of people in courtyards, parkling lots, on streets, etc. It could be, of course, that the video signal really has not changed and I'm suffering from some sort of nostalgia for the days when I first saw VOOM, or that I've just gotten so used to HD that it's no longer that big a deal.

But are there any specs on the Equator HD signal before and after the migration to DISH to make an informed comparison? (I suspect this info appeared on Satellite Guys months ago--sorry if I missed it.

Thanks.

RSAvenell said:
About two months before VOOM took the dive into oblivion, I was lucky enough to sign up, and was soooo happy with the service and programming. Well... we all know what happened and I went crawling back to Dish Network - happy to learn that I would at least be getting back some of my favorite new channels. I am dissapointed that the quality of the picture seems to be nowhere near as good as it was on the VOOM gear. I currently have the Dish Network HD-DVR - which I love, but I was wondering if everyone else was noticing the drop in quality of picture - sometimes it almost looks like SD. I have expecially noticed a drop in quality on Equator HD. Anyone else noticing the same thing?
My quality if better now than with Voom. The only issue is the lack of new content.

The first thing I noticed was the marked loss of quality since Voom went to Dishnet
I am very surprised that people would say the opposite. MY VOOM box was stunning and super clear on my new Pioneer Elite Plasma...
MAybe its my 6000 model thats causing the low quality... its almost SD quality as far as I am concerned.

madpb said:
The first thing I noticed was the marked loss of quality since Voom went to Dishnet
I am very surprised that people would say the opposite. MY VOOM box was stunning and super clear on my new Pioneer Elite Plasma...
MAybe its my 6000 model thats causing the low quality... its almost SD quality as far as I am concerned.

I have the same problems with my 811 receiver (on my 42" Samsung DLP).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts