Questions about the new XiP Receivers?

So am I. The cost of designing and deploying a new receiver, along with labor costs for installation and trouble call costs for customers who can't figure out the new equipment. Not to mention the costs for added call center volume. Vs. An add on module built for minimal cost, easily installed with virtually no learning curve. Whatever fee they wanted could be added. See how that works?

Since a new receiver usually starts a 24 month committment in most cases, I'll still say the receiver. ;)

But now you know why they have a 24 month commitment. ;)

Just for ease of calculation, if the average sub's bill is $100/month, that's $2,400 in revenue generated by a new receiver, easily outweighing the revenue generated by the module. I wasn't talking about cost effectiveness, it was revenue generation....

So basically from anywhere you can schedule recordings on any of the available tuners (6 satellite if you had two 813s) and the schedule will automatically fix itself? Does that mean that you have access to any available tuner from any TV as well? By that I mean specific tuners won't be allocated to specific TVs like they are in dual mode today? If so, that sounds amazing!

So basically from anywhere you can schedule recordings on any of the available tuners (6 satellite if you had two 813s) and the schedule will automatically fix itself? Does that mean that you have access to any available tuner from any TV as well? By that I mean specific tuners won't be allocated to specific TVs like they are in dual mode today? If so, that sounds amazing!

Thats the way it works.

You will never know which tuner you are watching from it just happens automatically. :)

Do you watch all 4 tv's at the same time? If you are like most people the answer to that is no so for most its not an issue.

It's probably way too early to tell, but is there any chance that that a network OTA tuner (HDHomerun) would work with the xip receivers?
If DISH Network uses OTA frequencies for their MoCA implementation (as DIRECTV's DECA does), most of the UHF band will be off the table.

It is apparent that they've chosen to send individual stations around the network as needed versus occupying the bandwidth with all the channels you aren't watching.

Here's another stupid question. So if the 813 only has 3 tuners, but I have 4 TV's. Then 2 TV's would have to share a tuner, or I would need 2 813's? Correct?
Why watch everything live? The 813 is first and foremost a DVR and should be used as such. The ViP211 is still your solution to watching lots of live TV.

Actually I don't watch anything live (except sports and news). So that's why I require so many tuners. During prime time, I'm usually recording at least 2 shows and sometimes 3 (OTA) at the same time on the 722 in the living room. And at the same time my wife may be recording a show or two in the bedroom. And my daughter is usually in her room watching live TV, Disney or Nick.

I have a 722, 622, and 612. And I use the heck out of them.

Just for ease of calculation, if the average sub's bill is $100/month, that's $2,400 in revenue generated by a new receiver, easily outweighing the revenue generated by the module. I wasn't talking about cost effectiveness, it was revenue generation....

So, you're talking about a new customer? That's not what I thought we were discussing. Say for example a customer has a 922, and Dish theoretically came out with an add on module - complete with a fee - to do the kind of functions we were discussing. That vs designing, manufacturing, and implementing an entirely new receiver. One that would have the same fee, mind you. You have the cost of R&D, manufacturing, training, advertising, installation, trouble calls, re-manufacture of the old equipment, changes in supply chain, etc. Not to mention, Dish takes a loss on equipment. It costs far more to make than the lease upgrade fee. It takes nearly the life of the contract to start making a profit on that customer. From end to end, it's more cost effective and profitable to make an add-on module. However, in this circumstance, it's not technically feasible.

Sometimes it does and sometimes it dosent, depends on the receiver and the customers history with the company.

As I said before the XiP's when released will be mainly for NEW CUSTOMERS. If an existing customer wants to upgrade there probably wont be an INITIAL deals from DISH and you would need to buy your equipment from DISHSTORE.NET.

I know that you want to feel justified in your faith in the 922 , but really this isn't the first time that DISH has changed course and went in a different direction entirely. I 've seen it happen many times in over 14 years with DISH. It doesn't mean the 922 will not be supported any longer or no new software updates. DISH is still supporting software to some of their very first receivers manufactured back in 96/97. It just means that the 922 will not be the flagship receiver it has been advertised to be for the last year or so. (It never was the flagship to me, as you well know, for numerous personal reasons.)

Justified? No. What I care about is accurate information and not false negative assumptions about a product you don't even use any more. If the 813/110 was available today, I'd turn in the 922 and outfit my home with it without looking back. I'm sure you would too, but I'm frankly growing tired of the overall negativity that has cropped up on this board since the middle of last week and I'm sure I'm not alone. And would you believe that I actually told someone when they asked me about DISH to not get a 922 when they were signing up for the service and instead get a 722k and a Sling adapter? Would someone who wants to feel justified in owning dumb box do that? :eek: What you call a "dead" product, I call a "bridge" device linking the hardware of prior ViP machines to the future OS that what will hopefully go beyond anything DISH's competitors offer. Maybe that makes me sound like an apologist... I think it makes me an evangelist. At least I don't have this giant chip on my shoulder about $4 more a month, regional sports channels not being on 24/7, or not having an ESPN channel in HD. Looking at the big picture and going by things Scott and others are saying, it's an exciting time to be a DISH customer, and it will get better over the next year. And I swear if I see another post with the wording "soon" in it I'm going to scream. :rant:

Sometimes it does and sometimes it dosent, depends on the receiver and the customers history with the company.

As I said before the XiP's when released will be mainly for NEW CUSTOMERS. If an existing customer wants to upgrade there probably wont be an INITIAL deals from DISH and you would need to buy your equipment from DISHSTORE.NET.
It's really disappointing that Dish won't allow current customers to get the XiP receivers when they come out. I understand the business logic behind this thinking but ironically it might make me switch to Direct now. I have been researching Direct the past few days to see how much it would cost me to switch and what features I would gain/lose in the switch. I am thinking about sticking it out with Dish (I really hate change) but I keep thinking that maybe I should move over to Direct just so I can be a "New" customer to Dish in two years when the XiP receivers come out. In other words, switching to Direct now might be the quickest way for me to get the new Dish receivers.

It's really disappointing that Dish won't allow current customers to get the XiP receivers when they come out. I understand the business logic behind this thinking but ironically it might make me switch to Direct now. I have been researching Direct the past few days to see how much it would cost me to switch and what features I would gain/lose in the switch. I am thinking about sticking it out with Dish (I really hate change) but I keep thinking that maybe I should move over to Direct just so I can be a "New" customer to Dish in two years when the XiP receivers come out. In other words, switching to Direct now might be the quickest way for me to get the new Dish receivers.
With what I pay......per month..... I will be very unhappy if Dish gives me any guff about getting the latest receiver. It's ridiculous, this business concept of giving new customers the first units and ignoring the loyal, longtime regulars. Do you hear us Dish?

813 could also be created to try to curb account stacking. They will say that two 813's is the most that any customer would need. If they would allow additional tuners to be added via usb and tell you this is the only receiver you need to have active on the account then that would solve most of their account stacking issues on new customers if this is the receiver they activate for all new customers.

Justified? No. What I care about is accurate information and not false negative assumptions about a product you don't even use any more. If the 813/110 was available today, I'd turn in the 922 and outfit my home with it without looking back. I'm sure you would too, but I'm frankly growing tired of the overall negativity that has cropped up on this board since the middle of last week and I'm sure I'm not alone. And would you believe that I actually told someone when they asked me about DISH to not get a 922 when they were signing up for the service and instead get a 722k and a Sling adapter? Would someone who wants to feel justified in owning dumb box do that? :eek: What you call a "dead" product, I call a "bridge" device linking the hardware of prior ViP machines to the future OS that what will hopefully go beyond anything DISH's competitors offer. Maybe that makes me sound like an apologist... I think it makes me an evangelist. At least I don't have this giant chip on my shoulder about $4 more a month, regional sports channels not being on 24/7, or not having an ESPN channel in HD. Looking at the big picture and going by things Scott and others are saying, it's an exciting time to be a DISH customer, and it will get better over the next year. And I swear if I see another post with the wording "soon" in it I'm going to scream. :rant:

Just because I no longer use a product like the 922, does NOT mean I can no longer comment on it. IF that was the case I would no longer talk about the 7100/7200 dishplayer, the 3800, 301, 501/508/510/721/921/811/942/622/722 receivers. Yes I owned all of those over the 14 years. I am not going to change my opinion of the 922 . In my opinion it was hyped as so much more than what it is and I felt like I was suckered. The extra $4.00 fee that DISH tacked on to this 922 was the kicker for me. I don't see any reason why you pay more for this receiver than the 722 /722k dvrs, unless they are charging you a sling fee. It is simply another fee that DISH charges "just because they can." I will continue to tell all who post questions about the 922 my opinion of it. As a supporter and a member of this board I can do that. As for RSNs in hd I could care less and I could care less about Sports in general. As for the 922 being a dead product , I ask you to read my last post to you a little closer. I tried to define it for you and I will again. The CONCEPT ( tv 1 & tv 2)is dead as far as the direction that DISH is headed. The whole house dvr is now the future of DISH and so is the 813.

As for the future DISH is headed for , I agree . It is an exciting time for DISH and the future direction that they are headed. Especially if Charlie spins off the sports channels into their own sports packs. This would mean a drop in price for ALL customers who buy a basic programming pack . I also like the direction that Charlie is headed in regard to the whole house dvr , Blockbuster streaming to possibly all dvr receivers, and of course the Tivo settlement that means we might get our Time Warp software back.

If you get so upset about reading any negativity about DISH and only want to hear positive comment on DISH or their products, there is a website for you. It is called dbstalk website. There the moderator, a Mr. James Long, will censor any negative posts about DISH and even delete the posts and ban those who make them. Maybe you would like to read that site for positive only DISH posts. IF not then I encourage you to place me on IGNORE so you won't be so disturbed about my "negative" experience with my 922 that I paid to own.

Last edited:
I apologize if this was already answered (i skimmed through the thread, but may have missed it), but I was wondering if the same recording could be accessed simultaneously; something like me in the office trying to play back a show that my fiance has already started playing in the living room.

I believe the answer is yes. Presently you can access the same recording on both tv 1 and tv 2 using the present dvrs . The only limitations I saw in the pictures of the 813 was that you couldn't watch live tv on your tuner if the other two sat tuners are recording something and someone else is watching live tv on a tv in the house. They showed a picture of the screen coming up saying tuner 1 is watching live tv , tuner 2 & 3 are both recording a show, this leaves you on the 4 th tv to watch something already recorded or a vod event.

BTW, regarding adding a MoCA bridge: The D-Link DXN-220 Coax Ethernet bridge runs $95-110 (based on DXN-221 HD Media Starter Kit pricing of $190-220). So, if Dish does decide to retrofit older receivers using Ethernet, it won't be cheap.

Regarding the frequencies Echostar uses for the MoCA link, I found their MoCA Certificate (http://www.mocalliance.org/industry/certificates/MIC0082-Echostar.pdf) which may or may not cover the XiP receivers. The certificate names the Operating Bands as D1 through D8. According to the IEEE 802.1AVB documentation, that works out to ultra-UHF frequencies (1,150 MHz - 1,500 MHz).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)