Quick question about my True South

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

nicholas1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
South Kentucky
I'm setting up a 90M Channel Master Dish with a SG9120-B motor. I redesigned and made my own mount on the back of my dish. My location is Lat - 37.1° N Long. 84.6° W. If I figure it right, my True South should be pointing in the direction of satellite AMC 16 ku band at 85° W. Is this correct? On my mount I designed, when the face of my dish is completely level 90° to the ground the sleeve that clamps on my motor shows it is at 10-12 degrees so I know that's not correct. I think my other dishes I have when set the same way show about 25 degrees. I think my dish should be pointing upward and I think ther might be a few more satellites further up as in 61 degrees. I will test this out tommorrow, I have a new pole perfectly squared in the ground and I am waiting for the concrete to dry.

Please post some pics of your modified mount, if you don't mind. My 9120 motor arrived this afternoon and I was going to make a mount for one of my primestar dishes this weekend. I have been looking at some of the various mods in other threads for ideas of what worked and what didn't work.

OSU1991, I try and do that in the next couple of days. what I did was modify a Direct Tv dish, a old one that has a lot thicker and stronger steel. I took that mount off the dish and cut the lnbf holder off. I used two thick pieces of aluminum strips to mount to the dish and the Direct Tv mount was bolted to those upside down. I does seem to be quite strong but, I don't thing the new mounts would be strong enough, they are made of very thin steel. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can.

Hello Nicholas, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to the pictures. Last week Duster (GA) and I did the same thing you are doing, with a 1m channel master dish. Maybe we can help you along once we can see how you made your mount. AMC16 has a good test channel on 12182 so once you get your dish up you will have something to aim for, also. Are you close to Cave City??
edit: And yes, you are correct on 85W.

Thanks. I was thinking of using an old directv mount i have too. I was thinking of using some perforated steel bar i have to attached the mount to the dish.

Hello Nicholas, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to the pictures. Last week Duster (GA) and I did the same thing you are doing, with a 1m channel master dish. Maybe we can help you along once we can see how you made your mount. AMC16 has a good test channel on 12182 so once you get your dish up you will have something to aim for, also. Are you close to Cave City??
edit: And yes, you are correct on 85W.

The channel on 12182 to test on, is that H or Vert. on AMC 16@ 85° W?

Test channel om 85° W?

Can someone tell me if they can get the test channel on AMC 16 @ 85° W? I have been trying to get a lock on this satellite for my true South. The freq. is 12184 H 3978 3/4 PID 1623. I hope to get my dish locked down before a storm hits here.

I am using a CW700S and a Channel Master 90M dish with a linear low noise lnbf. I have so far locked onto 83° and 87°W but, I can't find 85° W? Is it not on today?

but since he is using a motor those numbers are wrong ;)

The OP can get 83 & 87W but 85W has a once in a while used test card that is up. If there is no signals active that the receiver can pick up we have to try a roundabout way :)

Can someone tell me if they can get the test channel on AMC 16 @ 85° W? I have been trying to get a lock on this satellite for my true South. The freq. is 12184 H 3978 3/4 PID 1623. I hope to get my dish locked down before a storm hits here.

I saw that test card up last night, but its not there now. The only DVB-S I could find with a blind scan a few minutes ago was:

12190 H 13333
DVB-S
v 0308
a 0256
p 8190

It's either HD or 4:2:2, or both, I was getting audio but a partial "green screen", no video

Scans in as "WINSAT PATH 1".

Strong signal, was bouncing 79-82% on my CS6000 w/90 cm 3ABN motorized setup.

My modified dish mount

Please post some pics of your modified mount, if you don't mind. My 9120 motor arrived this afternoon and I was going to make a mount for one of my primestar dishes this weekend. I have been looking at some of the various mods in other threads for ideas of what worked and what didn't work.

Here are the pics I promised.

Attachments

• Misc Fall 2010 024.jpg
    Misc Fall 2010 024.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Misc Fall 2010 023.jpg
    Misc Fall 2010 023.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 146
  • Misc Fall 2010 022.jpg
    Misc Fall 2010 022.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 165
  • Misc Fall 2010 021.jpg
    Misc Fall 2010 021.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 171
but since he is using a motor those numbers are wrong ;)
Whether or not the OP is using a motor, dishpointer gives accurate numbers. That a motor requires translation doesn't change where the satellite is located in the Clarke Belt.

no it doesn't...so quit confusing the OP :rolleyes:

the numbers you gave are for a FIXED dish...and the azimuth isnt even right. For his location, azimuth is 185 magnetic for his true south setup. A motorized setup takes 2 numbers into account
-the motor latitude is the same as his latitude (34)
-the dish elevation depends on the motor but is usually around 20-25 degrees

so if he took your advice and aimed the dish at 47 degrees he'll be hunting for a while. I guess you missed the part where he said he can get the 2 adjacent sats but not the TS and that is due to as of right now no signals on that satellite his receiver can get. :)
I've already given him via PM a roundabout way to get past that which is to use USALS to motor the dish to 83 or 87 and then move the whole assembly to that sat

We're already past that stage of what elevation the dish needs to be at and we're on the locking his true south (or a nearby) satellite ;)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts