OTHER Reactive power

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

NewsTips

EM84tx
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 19, 2012
Taylors,SC
My Ku band 1 meter dish:: STAB motor is oscillating or "hunting". In USALS mode; receiver tells motor to go to a sat position. Motor goes there, stops, then begins randomly going back and forth maybe 5-10 degrees. or an inch or so at the edge of the dish. In about 1 second it goes West of the bird a little and back one time.... then after a random time usually a few seconds..... does it again. Zip- Zap pause zip zap... I do have one barrel splicer in the coax. It is scary since the STAB company I think is almost defunct.

Anyone ever see this happen?

Gonna try moving the receiver to very near the motor tomorrow.

Moving the receiver near the motor will resolve if it's a fluctuating voltage issue due to cable length or poor connection. How long is the cable run to the motor?
I dont know the length...but have never had this before.... gonna move the receiver after I get chores done....
I just filled up my tank.... WOW

I dont know the length...but have never had this before.... gonna move the receiver after I get chores done....
I just filled up my tank.... WOW
THE PROBLEM (SOLVED)...
The problem was specific to a specific USALS position that I had saved. That position was IDENTICAL to my homes Longitude so I could point the dish South to start adjusting.The other positions did not do this. I also noticed that the machine set the WEST limit at the same position as the saved position.
I had to do the 2 button manual reset on the motor a few times. Probably every time the dish was commanded to move to that position.
ANYWAY :
This position which was IDENTICAL to my longitude probably caused a divide by zero or some other MATH ERROR in the USALS Logic.
SOLUTION:
Do not create a fictitious bird at exactly your longitude on the earth <so that you can aim for true South>.
Find another way or create a bird at a little off of fictitious south bird.

Note: After erasing this BIRD I didn't recreate it to try to prove the problem.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Reactions: KE4EST and a33
I had to do the 2 button manual reset on the motor a few times.

Glad you have it solved.

If it is a math error, it would be made in the receiver, as the USALS math is in the receiver.
Probably the error is in the conversion of the hour angle zero, to the raw diseqc command. You have two choices there: Go zero units to the left of zero, or zero units to the right of zero; leading to two different commands.
What receiver (and what software) do you have?

I didn't know STAB motors had also buttons on them? What STAB type number is that? Mine HH100 has none.

Greetz,
A33

My HH90 also has no buttons.

As for pointing the dish south, receivers with a robust set of commands available will have a "Go To 0" command. But I'm not sure why you'd need to go to exactly the south position anyway -- if there's no satellite there, you have nothing to peak the signal on.

• Haha
Reactions: Comptech
I am going to put this public, I have his C-band dish tracking and have begged him to rewire. He is runing his actuator and sensor wires with speaker wire. Please Kosmo you need to use some good wire at least to your sensor

Reactions: primestar31
My HH90 also has no buttons.

As for pointing the dish south, receivers with a robust set of commands available will have a "Go To 0" command. But I'm not sure why you'd need to go to exactly the south position anyway -- if there's no satellite there, you have nothing to peak the signal on.
---Regarding the push buttons-----
This dish has an H-H motor from Sadoun from over a decade ago, when he was located a few minutes away from my old home in Cincinnati area. Still works great. It has an EAST and a WEST manual PB on the bottom next to the F connectors. If I press both buttons same time for less than 20sec it resets everything including limits. The brand is probably NOT STAB..My bad..
KOSMO

Kosmo you are 100% capable of rewiring all your dishes. Your C-band dish has been on the arc for a year now, but the thoughts of using the correct wire to control it has left you without it. I am sure your Ku dish has the same problem. You have plenty of time to order a spool of RG6 from solid signal, make your own connections and get up and running. Just do it and get rid of the speaker wiring running you C-band dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts