Recommendations? (New reply, old thread)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mbarnes

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
...snip...
We've worked out backup facilities for all but one of the channels we need. The missing link is one of the IRN/USA radio networks channels. The PID published on most of the FTA lists (261) as "IRN" is the USA-2 channel What I need is the USA-1 channel. (On the current U4K platform, identified as IU2).

USA has always done their best to keep their PIDs a closely guarded secret. Apparently they kept it TOO close, because at present there appears to be nobody left there who knows what they are. I know, it's hard to believe, but it's true.

D.

I know this is an old thread, but I just ran across it while searching for something else.

Here's some FWIW info.

CRC program providers like USA, Moody, etc. on the CRC carrier almost never know their PIDS. They have no need to and have no control over them. The providers backhaul their programming to the uplink provider via T1 or other means. The uplink provider pushes the streams into a mux and assigns the PIDs. The PIDs periodically change. As the translation between PID and channel name takes place in the Compel control stream, the user only needs to see the names selected on the front panel controls.

The PIDs are not really a closely guarded secret, since you can find them with a good blind scan. Its more likely that the program provider has no idea what you are talking about. I'll have to check my notes, but I believe you can find the PID in the U4K settings, although it would have to be via terminal, not front panel.

I do find it interesting how inaccurate the listing is on Lyngsat, but then again, they only publish what people send them, if they feel like publishing it at all.

BTW, with nine channels, I am the largest provider on the CRC carrier.

I wish this forum would tell you when its too late to reply when you start your reply, rather than after you've typed everything and hit SUBMIT!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)