Review of Manhattan RS-1933

Davage

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Following is my review of the Manhattan RS-1933 receiver.

I am going to start by saying that the 2 main features that attracted me to the Manhattan RS-1933 receiver is the ability to blind scan DVB-S2 signals, as well as the ability to decode AAC audio. The Manhattan receiver delivers very well on both. Of all of the FTA receivers that I've had in the past (Fortec, Viewsat, VisionSat, Coolsat), this Manhattan is already my favorite.

I had been listening to Mike Kohl talk about the Manhattan receiver on the Sat Talk Live show for the past 6 months. I purchased the receiver directly from Mike at SkyVision based on what he had been saying about the unit. I am generally very pleased with what I've seen so far.

My Setup: I have a Motorola DSR-922 receiver that I use as my dish mover for my C-Band Dish. I have my FTA receiver attached using a splitter that only allows power to pass through 1 connection. I also have a motorized 39" Ku Band dish. I have done testing of the Manhattan receiver using both.

Blind Scanning. (Called Auto Scan by the Manhattan). The blind scan is FAST. It only takes a couple of minutes to Scan a C-Band bird. The Manhattan finds the transponder and then immediately scans in the channels. Most of the other FTA receivers I've had in the past would scan all of the transponders, and then scan in the channels afterwards. It is nice to see the channels pop in as each transponder is detected. One feature that the Manhattan doesn't have that I would like to see is the ability to scan 1 polarity at a time. Since I am using my Motorola DSR-922 receiver to adjust the dish and polarity, I need to manually adjust the polarity between scans. Right now in order to simply scan in the Vertical or Horizontal channels, I need to go into the satellite setup and set up the particular bird as being either H or V. If there was a feature to allow me to only scan 1 polarity at a time without having to go into the satellite configuration menu, it would be a nice improvement.

Ku-Band Motorized Setup. The motor control needs a little work done. The receiver tends to send the dish back to the true-south "home" setting a lot. I had selected the option to scan multiple satellites, which by the way I think is a fantastic option, and I watched the dish outside as it was scanning the different birds. My dish was going back to the true south position between each satellite. With the time that it takes for the dish to move back to true south and then back to the intended satellite, the receiver very likely is missing some of the channels because the dish is still moving when it begins the scan. (Note: I am going to do some further testing of the blind scan function for multiple satellites again this week using a shorter cable run. Right now I am using a cable run likely 100ft long with a coupling or 2 involved. If I find that the motor control works better, I will revise this review. Today it is too hot and humid to do some outdoor testing to watch the dish). I have also noted that the receiver will display the message "Moving Dish" even after it has moved and locked on to the signal. (Pressing the EXIT button on the remote clears it though).

Adding/Modifying Satellites : The Manhattan does give the end user the ability to modify the satellites. In particular, I've found in the past that I've need to modify the satellite position to account for some play in my motor. (ie: Change 125 west to 124.9 West).

Channels preloaded from Factory: CW East, CW West, CW Central, Montana PBS and Russia Today are all preloaded into the factory firmware. I am assuming that the CW's are there simply because they normally won't scan it automatically.

Manually entering channels: Within the TP edit screen there is the ability to manually add a transponder. With the July version of the firmware, it is also possible to manually punch in the PIDs to do a search. (a feature that we all use at some point)

PVR Functionality: I did my testing using a 16 gig USB Flash stick. I didn't do much testing of the PVR functionality using the May 23 version of the firmware. The July version has a couple of small items that could be fixed. It shows the word "REC" in the upper right-hand corner of the screen the entire time it is recording. It is annoying to have it on the screen the whole time. Also, I've noticed that if you press the record button on the remote, it leaves the information displayed on the screen at the bottom, showing the channel, etc. Pressing the blue button on the remote clears that information, but the REC is still showing in the upper right-hand corner. I have done some recording of some Hi-Def Masters that are currently in the clear. I didn't notice any issues with freezing or studdering at all.

The remote control that comes with the Manhattan is fairly intuitive. There is an "information" button on the lower right of the remote that allows you to see onscreen the Channel, symbol rate, etc. The one thing, as a hobbiest, that I would like to see is some information as to whether the channels is DVB-S, DVB-S2-8PSK, etc. (Maybe in a future release..) Right now it just shows the basics. When the information screen is up, the channel up/down buttons do not change the channel. You need to exit out of the information screen before you can change channels. If anybody from Manhattan is reading this review, maybe you could look at the possibility of allowing the channel up/down buttons to change channels while the info screen is being displayed. It could be helpful for looking for a particular PID of a channel, for example when tuned to the audio stations on AMC8 C-Band. It would be nice to be able to change channels and see which PIDs have audio at what times of the day.

The Manhattan receiver does not decode 4:2:2 broadcasts.. I realize that there are only a handful of receivers that do 4:2:2. I think that if the folks from Manhattan would add that ability to their receiver, it would really make this box stand out. If anybody absolutely wants to see 4:2:2, it is possible to record the broadcast to the USB drive and then play it back on a PC.

Upgrading Firmware: The firmware can be upgraded via USB. I've seen a few different options that allow the entire firmware to be updated, or just the logos or main code. I so far have only updated the entire firmware once, and it went very smoothly.

The receiver can store 100 satellites.

Channel changes are very fast.

I've had the receiver running for about 48 hours now, and it is still cool to the touch.

This final production unit has a standard AC power cord attached. I had heard that some of the pre-production models had an adapter.

There are RCA style A/V outputs on the receiver for people without HDTV/HDMI capability. For the TV display type, you can leave it at AUTO, or you can specify what type of TV you have attached. I noticed that while I was doing some testing on a standard def tv set, and I had tuned to a PAL broadcast on 58 West C-Band, the unit was pushing out a PAL signal. I went into the menus and selected 480i to view it on my NTSC tv.

Audio Broadcasts - One of the main features I was looking for in a receiver is the ability to decode AAC audio. The Manhattan does a great job of tuning in those broadcasts. One thing that the Manhattan is lacking is a screen-saver for the audio only broadcasts. It leaves the channel ID information up on the screen the whole time, which could cause burn-in. I would hope to see some sort of screen saver added to future versions. For now, when listening to audio broadcasts, I will turn on my stereo and turn off my TV.

I have attached some screen captures of the menus and display screens.

Overall, I am very happy with the receiver. There are a few quirks that need to be fixed, but I had expected that it would need some tweaking. It has delivered on what I wanted/needed - DVB-S2 blind scan and AAC decoding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are converted pics, that maybe Iceberg can merge into the other post. :)

Attachments

• review-Language.jpg
    review-Language.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,012
  • review-Aspect.jpg
    review-Aspect.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,160
  • review-ParentalLock.jpg
    review-ParentalLock.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,024
  • review-SatSearchFTAOnly.jpg
    review-SatSearchFTAOnly.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,102
  • review-SateCBand1sel.jpg
    review-SateCBand1sel.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,139
  • review-SatellitesCBand.jpg
    review-SatellitesCBand.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,067
  • review-DisplayAudioOnlyChan.jpg
    review-DisplayAudioOnlyChan.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 999
  • review-TimerSetting.jpg
    review-TimerSetting.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 961
  • review-FirmwareRev.jpg
    review-FirmwareRev.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,023
  • review-jump.jpg
    review-jump.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 969
  • review-OSDPlayback.jpg
    review-OSDPlayback.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,158
  • review-OtherScrambled.jpg
    review-OtherScrambled.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 951
  • review-TvSystem.jpg
    review-TvSystem.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,013
  • review-RecordOnScreen2.jpg
    review-RecordOnScreen2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,041
  • review-Favorite.jpg
    review-Favorite.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 986
  • review-StorageInformation.jpg
    review-StorageInformation.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 963
  • review-SatSearch.jpg
    review-SatSearch.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 978
  • review-RecordOnScreen1.jpg
    review-RecordOnScreen1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 977
  • review-OnScreenDisplay.jpg
    review-OnScreenDisplay.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,030
  • review-Other.jpg
    review-Other.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 953
  • review-Other1.jpg
    review-Other1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 936
  • Review-Installation.jpg
    Review-Installation.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 944
  • review-RecordManager.jpg
    review-RecordManager.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 884
  • review-LocalTimeSetting.jpg
    review-LocalTimeSetting.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 897
  • review-AntennaSetupSat.jpg
    review-AntennaSetupSat.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 950
  • review-TvChannelList.jpg
    review-TvChannelList.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 922
  • review-InfoScreen.jpg
    review-InfoScreen.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 966
  • review-UpgradeByUSBMaincode.jpg
    review-UpgradeByUSBMaincode.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 891
  • review-DVRConfig.jpg
    review-DVRConfig.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 880
  • review-CommonInterface.jpg
    review-CommonInterface.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 903
  • review-SingleSatSearch.jpg
    review-SingleSatSearch.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 900
  • review-AntennaMotorized.jpg
    review-AntennaMotorized.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 898
  • review-DisplaySetting.jpg
    review-DisplaySetting.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 865
  • review-StorageInformation2.jpg
    review-StorageInformation2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 846
  • review-TransponderList.jpg
    review-TransponderList.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 903
  • review-InformationShowingAAC.jpg
    review-InformationShowingAAC.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 891
  • review-LNB1FixedAntenna.jpg
    review-LNB1FixedAntenna.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 850
  • review-Playback2.jpg
    review-Playback2.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 944
  • review-OSDSetting.jpg
    review-OSDSetting.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 832
  • review-SearchingSat.jpg
    review-SearchingSat.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 904
  • review-SatelliteListKu.jpg
    review-SatelliteListKu.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 881
  • review-TVSystem2.jpg
    review-TVSystem2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 854
  • review-UpgradeByUSB.jpg
    review-UpgradeByUSB.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 851
Thanks for the review and the screen shots good work guys , Is there a screen shot that shows the PIDs manually inter menu.

Last edited:
brentb636 - Thank You for converting.. I will send up a screen shot of the manual PID entry menu shortly.

Edit - Added screen shot.

Transponder PID search screen attached to this message..

Basically, you would manually add a transponder, and then have the ability to do a normal search, or a manual PID search.

Attachments

• review-TransponderSearch.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 639
Last edited:
Very nice!But i can see why some might say that the manhattan is a clone of the sso series!The menus are very simular to a sso.I like it though!it can do more than a sso and has north american support.

VERY nice review :)

unfortunately I cannot merge the pics from the 2nd post into the 1st unless I do it manually (download each pic and then reupload)
I just removed the .bmp files so the 2nd post has all the pics in them :)

Manhattan.jpgOpenbox.jpg
One feature that the Manhattan doesn't have that I would like to see is the
ability to scan 1 polarity at a time.

This has allready been addressed and is getting added. We talked about that last week..

It shows the word "REC" in the upper right-hand corner of the screen the entire
time it is recording. It is annoying to have it on the screen the whole time.

That is there so the viewer knows that he is recording. The Pansat 9200 for example does the same thing only uses a red dot in the upper left of the screen. Hitting the "Info" button will clear the banner.

maybe you could look at the possibility of allowing the channel up/down
buttons to change channels while the info screen is being displayed.

Noted. And to add, you can hook up a hard drive to the usb port and use that as opposed to a stick. Up to 2 terrabyte. It will divide after the first terrabyte.

I will also try to clear up anymore of the "IT's the same box" bs that has been going around....... It might use the same chip, but so do many computers use the same chip. That don't make them a clone or knock off. The photos, (shown at the top because I was too stupid and forgot to posisition them at the bottom..... Oh well life goes on..), show a side by side of the guts. Totally different design. Several boards in the open, and two and a slot on the Manhattan. That said the Ali chip being shared will give some of the same graphic "Feeling". Have a great day!

Oh yea, the settings for a motorised dish and some diseqc settings are being delt with... ;)

Good review By the way!

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. Also, thank you stone1150 for the pics, hopefully that will end comments that this is somehow a rebranded Openbox. At the same time, I think a lot of potential buyers (like myself) would like to hear what features, good or bad, differentiate the Manhattan from an Openbox.

Thanks for the review. Also, thank you stone1150 for the pics, hopefully that will end comments that this is somehow a rebranded Openbox. At the same time, I think a lot of potential buyers (like myself) would like to hear what features, good or bad, differentiate the Manhattan from an Openbox.

exactly. if the openbox had manual pid entry what else would warrant the price difference ??? i just got a vantage 8000 and a emotiva xpa-5 so i need a good reason to drop another 200 bones on another toy.

crackt out,.

Will these changes talked about be available to people who buy before you implement them? I have an order placed for one right now.

I can't wait to get my hands on it! I do have a couple of questions:

1) I have a 10 foot mesh dish with a dual LNB feedhorn that I will be using. I imagine i will have to use my 922 to move the dish and then scan with the 1933. Am I correct?
2) Is the passthru to connect the LNB to the 1933 and then thru to my 922?

Thanx

How is the tuner sensitivity? If you have an AZbox do you think its more, less or just as sensitive?

I may order one tomorrow. :)

I'm not sure if you were addressing the question to me or not. I don't have an AZbox. The closest I've got to play with is an Coolsat 8100. The Manhattan is better at bringing in the DVB-S2 signals on my 7.5ft dish than the Coolsat does. The ABC HD and Retro TV channels are borderline on the Coolsat, but play fine on the Manhattan. It appears to me that it has a more sensitive tuner.

Will these changes talked about be available to people who buy before you implement them? I have an order placed for one right now.

I can't wait to get my hands on it! I do have a couple of questions:

1) I have a 10 foot mesh dish with a dual LNB feedhorn that I will be using. I imagine i will have to use my 922 to move the dish and then scan with the 1933. Am I correct?
2) Is the passthru to connect the LNB to the 1933 and then thru to my 922?

Thanx

I have the same setup. I use a 922 to move my C-Band dish. I use a single-power pass splitter to connect up my 922 and Manhattan. There is a "satellite out" connection on the back of the Manhattan receiver similar to most other FTA receivers on the market to allow you to connect the Manhattan directly to the LNB, and then use the satellite out to go to your 922. I am still moving my Manhattan back and forth between C and Ku Band right now to do some more playing.. I will give the satellite pass-thru port on the Manhattan a test tonight to see how well it works. You likely could hook it up without needing a splitter.

Thanks Davage, I think I am going to pull the trigger and order one.

I ordered mine from Mike Kohl @ Skyvision and had it shipped to Walker Minnesota where I was vacationing a couple weeks ago so that I could bring it home duty free :) (Yes - the receiver was properly declared at customs on the way home - I didn't sneak it into the country ;) ) Mike and Skyvision were very detailed and accommodating with my order.

I emailed Mike but have not heard back from him, so I guess I will order it from Skyvision directly. (I didn't know if he made more money if I ordered it from him.)

I love Mike when we talk its like talking to family, I have known him for a long long time. He is a true Satellite Pioneer!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)