Review of Manhattan RS-1933

I ordered mine from Mike Kohl @ Skyvision and had it shipped to Walker Minnesota where I was vacationing a couple weeks ago so that I could bring it home duty free :) (Yes - the receiver was properly declared at customs on the way home - I didn't sneak it into the country ;) ) Mike and Skyvision were very detailed and accommodating with my order.

you could have had it shipped to my house. I would have held it on to it for ya until you got to the Twin Cities ;)

If I had an extra $200 I would order one for you Iceberg so you could review it as well. :)

Anyone want to send Iceberg theirs for a few days so he can review it?

I wish Manhattan would send him one to review.

Honestly I don't know wats the big deal about this unit at $200 with no 4:2:2

My S10 that cost half can do exatly the same as this Manhattan model.

Of course that's my opinion don't get mad lol.

Sent using SatelliteGuys with my EVO non 3D LoL

Honestly I don't know wats the big deal about this unit at $200 with no 4:2:2

My S10 that cost half can do exatly the same as this Manhattan model.

I'm wondering the same thing. So far the only thing this one does that the S10 doesn't is manual PID entry. Looks like it has component outputs but the S9 has them too.

so what makes this receiver different to constitute the steep price difference?

Its power supply is deigned for US use and is more heavy duty, and its FCC approved... none of the other receivers are even technically legal for sale in the United States. In addition the Dolby Digital is licensed with Dolby.

Those things alone are part of the reason why the price is higher.

I think that we ( the Manhattan buyers, :) ) are hoping the RS-1933 will do what it does BETTER than the S9 ( which still has some things that aren't quite right). For my part, I sold an S9 to buy the Manhattan, because I want multiple receivers in the same room, which don't use the same remote control codes. I prefer 3 receivers in the stack, so I'll even be looking at the upcoming GeoSatPro stb that SatAV has hinted at. While I agree that the S9 is the best bargain going, I don't agree that even the $200 mark is a lot to spend for a receiver. Since 2006 I've picked up a number of boxes in the $179 + shipping range, and none of them are in use now. I would hate to see the $100 maximum price point scare off anyone who wanted to make a better receiver. Somebody has to encourage them, might as well be me . :)

I want to be one of the first in line when SatelliteAV releases its box. :)

My AZbox is doing strange things and I think its on its last leg. If I am watching something for awhile then switch channels to something else a lot of times I get a black screen and no sound on the channel I turn it to even though the signal is great. To get picture back I need to reboot once it reboots it works good again for an hour or so and then does it again.

With that said now that my Manhattan is ordered but don't expect me to do an Iceberg review to it. I will probably post what I like and dont like about it when compaired with my AZbox. But I dont mess with this stuff enough or have enough experience with other receivers to do a kick ass Iceberg writeup. :)

So far I am seeing some excellent support from Jeff S. in regards to the Manhattan. He and one of his engineers were on the air last Wednesday on Sat-Talk Live talking about the receiver. I didn't buy based on price. I bought based on Mike Kohl's reviews of the receiver and the ongoing support that I think we are going to see for it directly through the Sat-Talk Live show, as well as online.

I placed my order for the RS-1933 on Saturday morning. I see that my card still has not been charged and when I tried calling Skyvision, I got a message that the office is currently closed. Do they have odd days off???? Are they currently shipping these receivers?

I replaced my KU band LNB today in preparation for the new receiver.

They have been shipping receivers, I got one from them. An email from Rick's said that he won't be shipping any more 'til Aug 1st. Maybe they're all at a meeting ? :)

When I ordered mine from Rick,got the Email saying he was going to be on Vacation/Legal Business, order would be sent Aug 1st. No problem,it gives more time to iron out the bugs.:D

I have a question. I own an Openbox S9. When I scan a transponder the channel name is sometimes non descriptive. So I go in and rename the channel to something that makes more sense. OK, so far so good but here is where the problem comes in. If I re-scan the transponder (or the whole satellite) the channel gets renamed back to the nondescript name. Its kind of annoying since I re-scan most birds at least once or twice a week. Does the Manhattan do this? -Thanks.

I have a question. I own an Openbox S9. When I scan a transponder the channel name is sometimes non descriptive. So I go in and rename the channel to something that makes more sense. OK, so far so good but here is where the problem comes in. If I re-scan the transponder (or the whole satellite) the channel gets renamed back to the nondescript name. Its kind of annoying since I re-scan most birds at least once or twice a week. Does the Manhattan do this? -Thanks.

All you need to do is make a dump.abs file from your S9 to your pen drive then use the Ali editor, look for the channels you want, Rename, move them etc. Once you're done go to the SERVICE ID column and change whatever number is there to (0) cero, and save the dump. Once you load the dump back to your S9 those channels will remain always with the rename and location you gave them. When you do future blindscannings the system will add the new channels with the original names at the end of the list but will keep the ones you rename and marked as SERVIVE ID 0.

All you need to do is make a dump.abs file from your S9 to your pen drive then use the Ali editor, look for the channels you want, Rename, move them etc. Once you're done go to the SERVICE ID column and change whatever number is there to (0) cero, and save the dump. Once you load the dump back to your S9 those channels will remain always with the rename and location you gave them. When you do future blindscannings the system will add the new channels with the original names at the end of the list but will keep the ones you rename and marked as SERVIVE ID 0.

Cool! I never knew about the SERVICE ID trick. I've used the editor plenty of times but never paid much attention to that column. -Thanks.

I am not worried about editing the channel list. Just want to find new feeds, and watch the few regular channels I tune to. :)

I ordered mine from Skyvision via second day air yesterday but looks like it has not shopped yet as they have not charged my credit card :(

There IS an Editor for the Manhattan stb. I sent it up into the Downloads queue over a week ago. I've used it to edit the Manhattan sat file, and it works. Eventually , I'm sure it will show up, otherwise you can PM me and I'll email it to you. Early days yet, with the Manhattan RS-1933, clearly . :)

I am not worried about editing the channel list. Just want to find new feeds, and watch the few regular channels I tune to. :)

I ordered mine from Skyvision via second day air yesterday but looks like it has not shopped yet as they have not charged my credit card :(

I wonder whether Skyvision has the same issue as Rick Caylor; testifying in a Dish Network versus SonicView case . That MIGHT account for the delays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)