RG-6 Connectors

Status
Please reply by conversation.

d0ug

Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Can you guys recommend some good quality RG-6 connectors?

Like the quality of the threading of the screw barrell. Ive had some cheaper cables that are just hard to turn or bind up on the connector, and others that go on nice and easy. The barel on the connectors that our local cable company uses turn nice and smoothly, like its internally greased or something. Not the screw threads, but where the screw barell comes in contact with the body of the connector attached to the cable.It seems this helps make it easier to get the connectors on as well.

There are quite a number of good compression cable connectors out there. One of the best is the original Augat Snap-N-Seal connector, now manufactured by Thomas and Betts.

The screw on connectors are basically worthless, since it changes the impedence of the cable, as you screw it on.

I used screw on connectors when I originally installed DirecTV with a D10 about a year and a half ago. About 3 weeks ago I upgraded to a R15 and had to run another cable run. I also used screw ons for that run. I get good signal 95+% on most transponders, but I noticed corrosion in one of the connectors at the grounding block for the old run when I installed the new run. Since this screw ons obviously aren’t moisture proof, Id like to go and replace them all with something better sometime soon.

Never, EVER use screw on coax connectors for anything other than OTA antennas! How do I know this? It is written on the hang tag package label of every screw on coax connector RadioShack sells. Anything stronger than an OTA antenna signal willl cause signal leakage that will disrupt others' signals.

The funny part is, that you could get compressions at Home depot for the same price, you just have to get the proper tool to compress them on.

Yea I see that the compression fittings are about the same price, aside from having to purchase a compression tool. The tool isn't too expensive though.

I've used the screw ons before when I installed my OTA antenna many years before getting DirecTV, and never had issue with them, so I decided to use em again for the dish install. The 1st run is over a year and a half old and I haven’t had any real issue with it yet, aside from that corrosion I noticed. That corrosion isn’t causing any signal problems yet, my old run gets the same signal quality as the new run. I do still want to replace them though.

As for screw ons causing signals leakage, I’m skeptical. It’s a solid piece of brass, or whatever those screw ons are made of. It completely surrounds the center conductor and is thicker then the foil/braid, so I don’t see how signal is going to leak though the connector. I could see the braid/foil being damaged by the screw ons. But when I installed my OTA years ago I did notice the twisting, so I started griping the coax with pliers right under where the screw on would stop, to minimize twisting of the cable.

Coincidentally I looked at compression tools/fittings this past weekend when I was at Lowe's and Home Depot. Lowe's had a decent price compression tool @$20 but it was only for quad RG6. Home Depot's compression tool was somewhere in the $60-70 range for regular RG6.

Anybody know where to then get a fair price tool that works with regular RG6 compression fittings?

Mine came from Thomas and Betts (wholesale) when I was a contractor. Ill attach a picture of them.

Last edited:
I have that tool and it is cheap and does the job. I would not use it for a 100 connections a day, but for a DIY installation it works fine.

I got mine on ebay too. This is the kit I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86702&item=5875520870

I like the PPC connectors because the one connector works for any RG-6, be it quad shield, normal or whatever. No worries of putting the wrong ends on depending on the cable.

The seller ships fast and has great prices. I'm getting ready to buy my next 50 pack. Once you start doing the ends you'll start replacing them all over!

The kit I linked is everything you need, just add cable.

be carefull with those black PPC EX's. I've run accross them in the field where that plastic piece in the middle is too small, and thus it doesn't crimp properly. I can fix that with my crimper, but it is different from most of the ones I see here. I just have to put an 8mm wrench in behind the connector to crimp it down. This is my crimper.

Last edited:
chadzx11 said:
be carefull with those black PPC EX's. I've run accross them in the field where that plastic piece in the middle is too small, and thus it doesn't crimp properly. I can fix that with my crimper, but it is different from most of the ones I see here. I just have to put an 8mm wrench in behind the connector to crimp it down. This is my crimper.

This one has the adjustable plunger that allows you to adjust the throw to compress any rg6 connector out made;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5874126944&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

"where that plastic piece in the middle is too small"

They have two types of PPC EX connectors, one that has the small plastic piece PPC-EX6 and the one that has a larger size black plastic PPC-EX6XL. The one that is selling in Ebay is the XL so you won't have any problems. I also buy from techtoolsupply and I have to say he's a very good seller.

Really? None of the places I buy from carries anything but the XLs, so I didn't know there was a difference, just thought somebody got a defective bag.

I don't need an expensive compression tool as I don't do too much, usually only when I move. Anybody know if the Zenith ZDS-5061 can handle RG6 quad too?

dcwebman said:
I don't need an expensive compression tool as I don't do too much, usually only when I move. Anybody know if the Zenith ZDS-5061 can handle RG6 quad too?
I've done quad with mine. It just fits a little tighter in the U-groove. It's no big deal.

Shawn

Status
Please reply by conversation.