RTN & AMC 9

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This is an interesting and informative discussion. I can get 50% or better signal quality from the stronger transponders on AMC9, but cannot lock onto the weaker RTN/RTV transponder at all with a 76cm Winegard dish. Receiver is a Neusat sp6000.

RTN is hit or miss with quite a few. I have squeezed every last drop out of my 90cm Primestar dish, played with the SR and Freq to get it to work, well pretty good. It locks right up now and is mostly stable. The NBC transponder will give me Q in the 90's.

Seems the Pansats fair better with locking it.

Seems the Pansats fair better with locking it.

I think that's the key to getting RTN; not dish size. You need to use a receiver that ignores that adjacent signal better to get it.

I guess we should start a poll or chart with which receivers can get it or not.

Well I somehow, got RTN back in the 43 to 46 % with some pictures break ups nice to see Airwolf again!!:D

Still no news on KFAC-LD's plan to carry RTN here in Albuquerque's TV market....:(

Happy 4th, to everyones!!!:usa

Every once in a while it hits 45. Mostly 29 to 33 bouncing here. But it's solid, I guess that's what counts. Although I'd like to see it at 75 with the Pansat's tight meter. May need a 10 foot solid for that :D Luken needs to quit starving those squirrels powering there generator. :eek:

What I find so annoying (besides the fact that every other signal on the satellite is in the 60s/70s/80s) is that bleedover from the circular satellite at freq. 12224 is high 30s-mid 40s!

I too have noticed it's fairly solid, whether on a sunny day like today, or a cloudy day, or even sometimes with light rain on the dish, it seems to hold its own fairly well around the 30 mark.

I too also use 11740 H 4440 to bring it in to avoid Leo-1. Seems like the Pansats like that setting the best.

I think that's the key to getting RTN; not dish size. You need to use a receiver that ignores that adjacent signal better to get it.

I guess we should start a poll or chart with which receivers can get it or not.

I agree completely. I have not had any problems with either the 11735 or 11729 transponders with my Coolsat 8100, Diamond 9000, Azbox, or Twinhan 1020a, but I did have issues with my blind scan Fortec receivers (Ultra/Mercury).
As I have posted in the past, my theory is that blind scan receivers tend to be a bit looser in tuning. By that, I mean, that for example if I try to lock a signal at say 11721, and it isn't there, but there is another similar SR channel at say 11733, it will lock that channel even though I manually keyed in 11721. My NON-blind scan receivers will not lock that far off the set frequency. The blind scan receivers also seem to be more forgiving relative to being off the SR as well.
So MY assumption is that some receivers just tend to get pulled off freq by the adjacent signals, ie the 11729 signal nearby. If a poll is done, I'm guessing that the people who are having problems will mainly be those who have blind scan receivers, and the people not having problems will mainly be those using NON-blind scan receivers. I know that there have already been exceptions to this, but I'm guessing that the majority of reports will fit this explanation.

By the way, every time I've read complaints about the 11735 signal being lower, I've done a spectrum scan of the sat. I did one again yesterday. Again, as usual, there is basically nothing different about the signal strength of either the 11735 or 11729 signals.... only minor relative differences. Actually, if anything , the 11735 looked a bit stronger than the 11729 yesterday.
And BTW, I'm using a Fortec 90CM, which is not a particularly high quality dish.

Interesting observation... When I first scanned in RTN, I did so manually instead of blind scanning the entire satellite. I just wanted to test my alignment, and used the Lyngsat data to add the transponder and scan it. I have a steady signal on RTN...

Interesting observation... When I first scanned in RTN, I did so manually instead of blind scanning the entire satellite. I just wanted to test my alignment, and used the Lyngsat data to add the transponder and scan it. I have a steady signal on RTN...

I keyed the freqs in manually too, (I don't think that the Ultra found it), but I still had problems with the blind scan receiver.

I get the RTN channels fairly well with the Pansat 3500 and 33" dish, about 50% Q. I do have trouble with the 10' solid though, it shows 99%Q but no video or audio unless I move it maybe a quarter of a degree east. If I move it another tenth of a degree the Q drops to zero. Any movment (slight breeze) of the dish will lose the signal. Seems the stronger signal overwhelms the receiver/lnb. A really sharp PLL LNB and selective receiver combo should work better theoretically I suppose.
C.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I played around with the freqs and SR until I finally got the SL into the 70s range and Q 55 to 62. Now when I change to the East or West feeds they pop in and no more 90% with no picture

Success seeing 83ºW - RTN on 87cm ADTH dish with:

Fortec Mercury II
Coolsat 5000
PC - DVBWorld
PC - Broadlogic 2030 (Picture seems a little jumpy. Maybe it's the low SR)

Picture breaks up when it rains. OK otherwise.

No luck when blind scanning: key in TP info manually.

Haven't tried my other receivers.

I keyed the transponder frequency, symbol rate, and error correction settings from lyngsat in manually to my Neusat sp6000, and very carefully peaked the signal on the transponders I could get, but still no lock on 11735.

The Neusat is a blind scan receiver. I only paid $35 for it brand new including shipping about a year ago, so I really can't complain.

I think I need a bigger dish, 90cm at least.

RTN

I'll be picking up a 90CM (36") dish today to try to pull in RTN on my Viewsat Extreme.

Is anyone getting it on a Viewsat box?

Also, is a motor worthwhile? or no.

Thanks

Ian R.

Successs finally - with a different receiver.

After much trying, I finally have RTV/RTN on AMC9 at a wavering 30% quality on my Captiveworks CW-700s. Dish is a 76cm Winegard. LNB is a 0.3 rated DTH brand standard linear. This is through 100 feet of RG-6 and a CHIETA 4X1 Diseqc switch. The AMC9 NBC color bars channel comes in at a steady 80% quality with this same setup. Dish and LNB position are painstakingly adjusted to the finest signal quality peak possible.

The RTV transponder blind-scanned in at 11735H, 4440SR, and the FEC is set to auto. 26-27% quality is the picture breakup threshold for my CW-700s, so reception is marginal. Weather is broken cloud cover with a light breeze. Location is north central Idaho. With a heavy cloud cover or rain, I will need a bigger dish.

My Neusat sp-6000 will not lock onto the RTV transponder with this same dish and LNB setup, even with no Diseqc switch and only ten feet of RG-6. Entering the transponder data manually gave no joy. NBC color bars come in great at 68% Q though.

It's nice to have RTV back, even if it is marginal reception for now.

Thanks to all who contributed good advice and information to this most helpul discussion.

I get them on my Viewsat Ultra. They won't scan in, you will have to hand key the settings.

I picked up a Satopia receiver for cheap and it seems it does a great job of digging out video. I have heard this before so I thought I would try to get one and see.

While playing with it I scanned AMC9 for the RTN's and it scanned them in no problem.... BUT when the video 1 was scanned in it seemed like the RTN's Quality dropped. I deleted Video 1 (Leo-1), and RTN quality jumped up again.

Anyone try this or have this respond this way? it's good-bye Video 1 for me.

gmd i have the Icon, same as Satopia, I don't seem to have that problem with the Leo signal, that a lot of others do. It's there, I get it at 11728, sr 4342, and RTN at 11734 at 4440. Using a .90 primestar dish with a WSI lnbf, think its called the BSC321. On RTN it gets a 65 signal/94 quality, and on the Leo bars its reading 76/99. So its a bit stronger signal but doesn't bother this rec, nor my Merc2. Maybe just lucky in my location, or maybe I have this one pretty well tweaked. Doesn't seem to matter on the Icon if that Leo tp is there or not, long as weather's clear like tonite I have no trouble with RTV. Except that big screen bug they decided to throw up there lately!

I get them on my Viewsat Ultra. They won't scan in, you will have to hand key the settings.

I picked up a Satopia receiver for cheap and it seems it does a great job of digging out video. I have heard this before so I thought I would try to get one and see.

While playing with it I scanned AMC9 for the RTN's and it scanned them in no problem.... BUT when the video 1 was scanned in it seemed like the RTN's Quality dropped. I deleted Video 1 (Leo-1), and RTN quality jumped up again.

Anyone try this or have this respond this way? it's good-bye Video 1 for me.
I may be missing something, but this doesn't make any sense to me. It shouldn't matter at all what channels you have saved. Deleting a channel shouldn't affect anything.
The only thing I can figure is that on some receivers it COULD make a difference with respect to if you actually tune in Video 1 before trying the RTN channel. I've seen situations on one of my receivers whereby when there are several nearby narrow channels where to get to a channel, it would depend upon which direction I was coming from, like if I was tuning the channels at lower freq, I'd either skip over the desired channel or end up on the same one I was just on, but if I was tuned to the next higher freq, I could access the desired channel.
Once locked on the desired freq though, I can't imagine why it would matter what direction you came from and absolutely there should be no affect on quality caused by whether you have another channel like Video 1 saved. So I don't understand what's causing the things you're observing.

This whole discussion though does remind me of something I did MANY years ago, when I lived in a big city suburban condominium (boy I'm glad I don't have to live in one of those anymore). Well I had this neighbor, who lived in the unit below, who would play their FM radio VERY LOUD, VERY LATE into the night, and it drove me crazy. Well being an electronics hobbiest, I had a cheap heathkit signal generator, and I found that if I generated a frequency just a little bit above the channel they were listening to into a short antenna wire, and slowly turned up the signal strength on the generator, that as I turned up the level, the volume on the neighbor's radio would go down. Ie what apparently was happening (although there are other possibilities), was that the radio had automatic frequency control that locked onto the channel, but I was basically pulling the radio off frequency little by little. But what I'd do was slowly turn up my generator, until the volume on the radio was at a respectable level, but then the neighbor would get up and turn the volume up... then I'd turn it down by increasing the level on my generator... then the neighbor would turn it up, to virtually full volume.... THEN, I'd turn my generator OFF, and the radio would be so loud you could hear it a mile away, and the neighbor would get fed up and turn it off.
One time, after I hadn't heard them play the radio for several weeks, we went through the game again, at which point I heard "I THOUGHT YOU GOT THIS THING FIXED!" followed by CRASH {apparently the radio being thrown against the wall}. Being a ham, I'm not proud of intentionally generating harmful interferrence, however the levels being generated were actually extremely low, and it gave me at least a little bit of satisfaction during a frustrating period of living next to some really terrible neighbors.
However the above story I think relates to this RTN thing, because that LEO signal is kind of like my remote volume control, in that some receivers tend to get pulled over to that signal via some AFC effect. But it shouldn't matter whether the channels is SAVED or not.

I may be missing something, but this doesn't make any sense to me. It shouldn't matter at all what channels you have saved. Deleting a channel shouldn't affect anything.
The only thing I can figure is that on some receivers it COULD make a difference with respect to if you actually tune in Video 1 before trying the RTN channel. I've seen situations on one of my receivers whereby when there are several nearby narrow channels where to get to a channel, it would depend upon which direction I was coming from, like if I was tuning the channels at lower freq, I'd either skip over the desired channel or end up on the same one I was just on, but if I was tuned to the next higher freq, I could access the desired channel.
Once locked on the desired freq though, I can't imagine why it would matter what direction you came from and absolutely there should be no affect on quality caused by whether you have another channel like Video 1 saved. So I don't understand what's causing the things you're observing.

This whole discussion though does remind me of something I did MANY years ago, when I lived in a big city suburban condominium (boy I'm glad I don't have to live in one of those anymore). Well I had this neighbor, who lived in the unit below, who would play their FM radio VERY LOUD, VERY LATE into the night, and it drove me crazy. Well being an electronics hobbiest, I had a cheap heathkit signal generator, and I found that if I generated a frequency just a little bit above the channel they were listening to into a short antenna wire, and slowly turned up the signal strength on the generator, that as I turned up the level, the volume on the neighbor's radio would go down. Ie what apparently was happening (although there are other possibilities), was that the radio had automatic frequency control that locked onto the channel, but I was basically pulling the radio off frequency little by little. But what I'd do was slowly turn up my generator, until the volume on the radio was at a respectable level, but then the neighbor would get up and turn the volume up... then I'd turn it down by increasing the level on my generator... then the neighbor would turn it up, to virtually full volume.... THEN, I'd turn my generator OFF, and the radio would be so loud you could hear it a mile away, and the neighbor would get fed up and turn it off.
One time, after I hadn't heard them play the radio for several weeks, we went through the game again, at which point I heard "I THOUGHT YOU GOT THIS THING FIXED!" followed by CRASH {apparently the radio being thrown against the wall}. Being a ham, I'm not proud of intentionally generating harmful interferrence, however the levels being generated were actually extremely low, and it gave me at least a little bit of satisfaction during a frustrating period of living next to some really terrible neighbors.
However the above story I think relates to this RTN thing, because that LEO signal is kind of like my remote volume control, in that some receivers tend to get pulled over to that signal via some AFC effect. But it shouldn't matter whether the channels is SAVED or not.

I love your neighbors story. What you actually could have done is is broadcast on the FM frequency with very low power they were on and cause capture effect to take out there signal. If you wanted you could have hooked up a mike and told them to turn it down. They would have freaked :eek:

I had neighbors years ago that the parents weren't home and the kids were throwing a very loud pool party. That had music blasting so I transmitted with a FM micro transmitter and fed Classical music from my dish on that frequency. Very fast the radio went off and stayed off. :D

Success with RTV

KAH-PLAH! (Thats Klingon for Success - i know - get a life LOL)

I picked up a 90CM dish and LNB combon on wednesday and installed it last night. CLear shot to most of the western sky from my roof. Using the old calibrated eyeball, I turned the antenna slightly east from the BEV 91 degree dish. I got a strong signal so I did a blind scan, and yes it was AMC9 - one of the 20-odd channels it found was AMC9-3, the test pattern channel was there, as well as a religious channel and an NBC feed. Signals were in the 50's and 60's, but no TP on 11735 and no RTN.

So, going back to some of the posts, I deleted the TPs that had no channels on them, then I started playing with the TP frequency and SR manually. I keyed in at one point 11737 and SR 4500, scanned it, and POOF - I got 3 channels, RTN east (2 feeds) and RTN west. Signal was down though, so I reset the TP to 11736 and SR 4444 - signal is wavering in the mid 20's to mid 30's. At one point, while tweaking the dish, my wife said the quality peaked over 50, but I could not get that back. Should I try again to tweak the dish? its really a hairline movement, or should I play with the frequency of the TP to get a better signal?

Maybe a bigger dish would help? A buddy of mine has a 4 footer I may borrow to test. The fellow who sold me the 90 CM dish said I could bring it back to upgrade to a bigger dish no problem.

But it does work, saw the A-team and Airworlf. Surely beats hanna montana and Corey in the house.

Cheers

Ian R.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)