short black outs?

Ken F said:
Gene,

I assume you disconnected the DVI cable from your set before trying component.

So you get this on both component and DVI in 1080i mode? Does it occur just as often with both component and DVI?

Btw, what is your display? Does it support HDCP?

my tv is a Sony kp46wt500, It is HDCP ready. I noticed one black out in the past half hour with components. And yes I unplugged the DVI after hooking up the components. The DVI I was using came with my directv stb btw.

GeneWildershair said:
my tv is a Sony kp46wt500, It is HDCP ready. I noticed one black out in the past half hour with components. And yes I unplugged the DVI after hooking up the components. The DVI I was using came with my directv stb btw.

HDPC is not active through component. So it should work. Gene best thing to do is to get another receiver while trying to sort this out. I will do a search on your model and see if it's HDCP compliant or not. I wonder if something went wrong with the STB as the HDCP flag came on and you were connected through DVI. Don't know just thinking out loud here.

Sean,

I too was wondering whether or not a non-compliant display connected via DVI could cause problems with component output. Even if DVI is now disconnected, I wonder if having it connected at some point (when the box detected non-compliant HDCP support) could cause problems with component. In the latter scenario, a reset should do the trick.

A quick search seemed to indicate that his kp46wt500 supported HDCP. Still, as there are very few boxes out there that require HDCP, I doubt it would be well known if a particular make or model of television had some HDCP issue(s).

Jay,
I came to the same conclusion as Sean: this black-out problem might be caused by the screen saver timer. Please, tell us that your screen saver is turned on!
And if so, turn it off. See if this takes care of the black-out problem.

Ilya, Ken & Jay,

I just saw it. While watching CBS (Jay Leno) the screen went black then went gray (like snow) and then went back to Jay Leno. In this behavior I saw two screens one is black (first one) and the second one is gray (like when you lose complete signal). It happens very fast to take a picture. But I will see if I can catch it.

Sean Mota said:
Ilya, Ken & Jay,

I just saw it. While watching CBS (Jay Leno) the screen went black then went gray (like snow) and then went back to Jay Leno. In this behavior I saw two screens one is black (first one) and the second one is gray (like when you lose complete signal). It happens very fast to take a picture. But I will see if I can catch it.

yes yes yes! That is it! That is exactly what I see! It happens on OTA channels too, so this must be a software problem in the STB!

Ilya said:
Jay,
I came to the same conclusion as Sean: this black-out problem might be caused by the screen saver timer. Please, tell us that your screen saver is turned on!
And if so, turn it off. See if this takes care of the black-out problem.

no it's been off since I got my VOOM set up. I checked and it is still off. Now if Sean is also seeing it, I don't feel like I'm seeing things! He is seeing the exact same thing I do! Since I've rebooted and factory reset, I don't see it but every half hour or so.

I get the same problem. Any channel. I was watching Sopranos on HBOHD and the screen blacked out then it looked like if I was watching a non-broadcasted local channel (no signal). It only happen for a second then HBOHD came back on.

This never happen before.

Kinda annoying. I just got my box swapped last week. Should I call VOOM CS?

GeneWildershair said:
no it's been off since I got my VOOM set up. I checked and it is still off. Now if Sean is also seeing it, I don't feel like I'm seeing things! He is seeing the exact same thing I do! Since I've rebooted and factory reset, I don't see it but every half hour or so.
No, you are not seeing things! I am having the exact same problem. I turned off my screen saver about an hour ago, and I thought it took care of the problem... nope, it just happened again...

pOiNTBLaNK said:
I get the same problem ... Should I call VOOM CS?
This problems seems to be caused by today's software update and I doubt the CS has any idea. Let's collect facts and keep Wilt updated.

Is there anyone on this forum who is not seeing this problem after the software update?

Funny is that I was watching LOTR (yes again) tonight and did not see it until I used the Program Planner to switch me to NBC (Jay). After a few minutes, it happened and I haven't seen it again. My screen saver is off.

My screensaver is on but I don't think it has anything to do with it. I've have been seeing this since last night after update but never said anything because no one else seemed to have the problem.

As a matter a fact, I actually caught my STB being updated with 5C from start to finish. Another thread has that experience.

What I noticed is that once the light bars started scrolling for the 2nd time (after initial download) they then stoppped, then all of them lite up at the same time I saw on the screen the exact same thing I see now when I get the blackout.

I say it's a bug.

pOiNTBLaNK said:
My screensaver is on but I don't think it has anything to do with it. I've have been seeing this since last night after update but never said anything because no one else seemed to have the problem.

Hey next time just post if you are experiencing something wrong. We all need to hear these things, to know what to look for, and maybe try to find answers to. And yes Ilya this is obviously a new software bug. :( I have never had this happen before the update. Just curious, what are you guys (that are experiencing this) using, DVI or component? I was seeing more often thru DVI, but since I switched to component it's still there, just not as often. In fact I haven't seen it for about 45 mins now. But I know it's still there, and it bugs me just to know that! We do need to get this info to Wilt! There may be a lot of others experiencing this, and just not posting about it.

I didn't post thinking it was me and that I could do something about it.

I've experienced the blackouts with both component and dvi. It's not about which connection shows the blackouts more becase both are random. I've gone hours on DVI without the blackouts then out of nowhere it rolls around, same with component.

(Just some input on the problem)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)