Significantly Viewed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
I tacked this question on the end of another thread and I dont think anyone noticed, so I'll ask it in a new thread. I recently "moved" to a county that is in the Atlanta DMA but also, according to DirecTV's website, is supposed to get two stations from Birmingham via significantly viewed status. I am getting the Atlanta locals fine (I'm within the footprint of the spotbeam) but the two Birmingham stations aren't showing up. I know I should be able to get them on the spotbeam because I actually live in Birmingham. Do you have to specifically request the "nearby local stations" be added, or should it be automatic?

they should show up automatically

I just checked on the D* site and you need to be in one of these zip codes
36261, 36258, 36269, 36203, 36272, 36264, 36262, 36268, 36273

if you are, you should get Fox & NBC...now they might only be in SD

Yeah, I was expecting them to be SD only. The zip I used was 36264. I am at work, but I sent a re-auth to all three of my receivers. My internet seems to be down so I can't get into the slingbox, but I guess I'll find out when I get home if it worked or not :) Either way, I've got an AM21 plus an antenna to pick up th B'ham locals.

And just as I typed that, my slingbox finally connected and after the reauth it looks like I do have Fox and NBC in SD only. It's strange that they don't provide them in HD too, the spot more than covers all the counties that get them in SV status. Do all SV stations in all markets get the SD only treatment?

here is something interesting....when I plug in that zip I get the "county" request
Cleburne gives me Atlanta + the 2 B'ham locals
Randolph does not give me B'ham

I know I ran into the same issue when I "moved" the 1st time. Where I moved to the city is actually in 3 counties (dead serious).
one county gives me just Minneapolis
one county gives me Minneapolis + a 2nd CBS from that neighboring DMA (Mankato, MN)
the "main" county gives me only CBS from the DMA and Fox, ABC & NBC from Minneapolis as "fill ins" as Mankato, MN only has CBS & Fox in its area along with Nat'l PBS and CW.

When I called in I gave them the "main" county yet they gave me the 2nd option so I kept all the Mpls and added just the 2nd CBS. I had to call back in and tell them the county I was in so they could change it

Yeah, and what's even weirder is that zip is for Heflin which is the county seat of Cleburne County. Seems odd that the county seat's zip bleeds over into another county. The DMA weirdness is strange too. That county is pretty much in the middle of Birmingham and Atlanta on I-20, but it's closer to Anniston, which is one of the primary cities in the Birmingham-Anniston-Tuscaloosa DMA. I'm willing to bet the Atlanta stations never cover any news or even weather in the two Alabama counties in their DMA (or the two TN counties that are in the Atlanta DMA for that matter). I know once this summer when there was tornado coverage on the Birmingham stations, once the storms hit Cleburne County, they stopped coverage and told viewers there to switch to Atlanta TV. Even stranger is that the ABC station which has one of it's two main transmitters in Anniston isn't included in the SV list.

Yup, just went to the website and sent a reauthorization to each receiver and they are working ok

Just checked. out here in extreme Western MN in the Minneapolis/ St Paul DMA. only one Sioux Falls station is significantly viewed and alas not able to be seen.

yeah they really arent adding SV very often. The only one I know of in MN is when you get by Mankato a couple zips give you KEYC (CBS) + Minneapolis locals. Its interesting as the KEYC studio is in North Mankato which is actually in the Minneapolis DMA (Nicollet county) so thats the only SV I know of where you get more than one network...Mankato proper gets ABC, NBC & FOX from Mpls as fill in stations

Got the service installed today and KEYC is listed even though that is a LONG way from Big Stone County MN which is my home area. KEYC was available where I grew up even though TECHNICALLY it wasn't part of the Mankato DMA

What happens when you select it? I know my mom noticed the same thing in Scott County but when she selects it, she gets the "blacked out" message and refers her to WCCO 4

just checked and per the D* site its still North Mankato is the only location in the Mpls DMA that gets KEYC as Sig Viewed

Your DMA State ZIP Code County Station Channel Network Originating DMA
Minneapolis MN 56003, 56001 NICOLLET KEYC 12 CBS Mankato MN

It says (Program) is blacked out in your area. All programs this afternoon are either network or available in the Twin Cities DMA in syndication.(Two at the same time) and Friends which is on KEYC at 5 is available later at night on KSTC. Actually KEYC and WCCO actually run the same program schedule(from what I've been able to tell) except at 5:00 PM where WCCO runs a local newscast and KEYC runs Friends

Status
Please reply by conversation.