Slacker Radio

I've got the iPhone app but I don't have the actual phone yet (don't ask!). How is it running for those that use it on theirs?

I have been using it for about it hour, it is exactly like the online version, plus lets you peek at the album cover of the song coming up next. :)

I've been using my $45 Woot portable G1 for awhile now. It's great! No problem at all with only 2GB memory. Haven't run into any repeats yet, and I refresh about every other charge. Now to get a FM modulator for the truck. I have a FM transmitter but it sux. I want to get one that plugs in at the antenna.

I am really loving this iPhone client. I even broke down and purchased the $3.95 a month service. :)

I am a Slacker and proud!

I would love to try out the blackberry app, but my work only issues 8830's (they think they're more "business oriented") and neither 4.3 nor 4.5 has been released for the 8830. I'd give anything for RIM to release 4.5 for the 8830.

I have been using the service for about a week now and it is great. Slick interface, it has ALL the stations available including my custom stations.

Slacker released new firmware (Ver 1.6.112) for the G1's on Jan. 30th. There's several reports on the Slacker forums of this upgrade not working well for some people. Reported problems include "skip" not resetting and "banned" songs playing, even though the banned icon is displayed. If you've been having problems recently you might want to read up at the forums there.

I'm going to look into Slacker, you are right about Pandora being a little limited. Thanks Scott.

I've been listening to Slacker for a month and a half now. Thanks for turning me on to this service Scott. You are absolutely right about the playlists being much larger. I very rarely here any replays on the classic rock station, And I listen 2 hrs. a day. Nice find, Scott.

They recently added a new 'Modern Jazz' channel that is a dead ringer for the now-defunct Beyond Jazz channel on XM. I've been listening over the past few days and it is an awesome station. :up

I just discovered this on the new blackberry apps store and canceled my Sirius subscription a day later. I am running this on my curve 8330.

So I was googling information about slacker and came across a few articles that mention that they were thinking about releasing a satellite device. Introducing Slacker, a new kind of Satellite Radio company - Orbitcast.com I wonder what happened to it.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think the audio quality is better with slacker that it was with sirius. I had a sportster 4 connected through the aux port the same as my phone.

Last edited:
I just discovered this on the new blackberry apps store and canceled my Sirius subscription a day later. I am running this on my curve 8330.

So I was googling information about slacker and came across a few articles that mention that they were thinking about releasing a satellite device. Introducing Slacker, a new kind of Satellite Radio company - Orbitcast.com I wonder what happened to it.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think the audio quality is better with slacker that it was with sirius. I had a sportster 4 connected through the aux port the same as my phone.

I believe they scratched that idea. The satellites were supposed to be used to refresh while you were driving, but you could easily do that at home. They really served no other purpose.

I believe they scratched that idea. The satellites were supposed to be used to refresh while you were driving, but you could easily do that at home. They really served no other purpose.

Interesting concept. I wish I could refresh my blackberry with out having to plug it into the laptop.

Just bought a Slacker G1 4gb on Amazon/Tiger direct for $60. Anyone have the Slacker G1 and have found a good carrying case for it with belt clip? The small carrier that comes with it does not have a clip and the radio slides out easily.

Other than that, Lovin it so far!:):)

Slacker

I am a long time reader to the Forum.. First time poster.. LOL

I just ordered a Slacker Radio.. I've been listening online for a few weeks.. And since Sirius is going up in price in a week or so.. I've been looking for an alternative. I think I am hooked on Slacker.

My question is how does the Slacker Portable work? Does it download the music files, store them in the desired channel, and play them when you tune to that channel? or Record the stream and save it?

I didn't buy the G2.. I ordered the 8 Gig G1.

I hear the blackberry or Iphone application normally just plays the stream. So a choppy internet connection means choppy music is that true?

How would you rate the G1 player to the G2 player? Any advantages/disadvantages?

Neither way of describing it works correctly. You download each "channel" that you have played since the last download. You do not have direct access to individual tracks though if you pay fora premium service you can save individual songs as Mp3s. if you never did anew download you would hear the same tracks in the same order ovr and over again.

but as far as playback of a channel goes it is kind of like the Outer Limits They control what you hear but you have some ability to skip or ban tracks you don't like.

Does that help at all?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts