Solid Spun Aluminum 8.5 footer - Maybe Regency

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yes, then you use the motor to track that big satellite (SOL), and maintain maximum temp at the boiler.

But on a more serious note, the comment you made about melting the LNB.......what if you did polish the dish but instead of an LNB you put some sort of boiler connected to a turbine of sorts.......that's something I've been thinking about........or perhaps connected to a hot water supply or heating system, or some other way of extracting the massive amount of energy you'd be scooping up.

Try these links for recycling dishes to capture radiant heat energy.

Constructing a Solar Baker From an Abandoned Satellite Dish

Solar Cooker

I talked to my friend who used to install dishes in this area for the local distributor about this dish.

He said he worked on it about 10 years ago, and if he remembered correctly, it was a Beach Craft Electronics dish. He said they did make a spun aluminum solid, and wasn't for sure, but thought that was what it was.

So maybe it is a Beach Craft dish. :)

I found a few references to them, and they used to be a company in Hannibal MO, but the phone numbers don't work any more. That is about all I could find.

Fred

Well, maybe it's something to go on. You'd think a manufacturer would put some sort of mark or brand on their dish. You'll have to find someone who's been in the satellite business in that area since the "golden days" of satellite.

You'll have to find someone who's been in the satellite business in that area since the "golden days" of satellite.

Well that's the thing about it. this guy has been in the business since all that time. He started installing for "Skywalker Communications" which also owned "Programmer's Warehouse" when they were as big as NPS. So he has been around the business a very long time.

The problem is these guys have installed so many and seen so many, they forget what was what, and where it was. Programmer's Warehouse closed down in 1995 or 96 and Skywalker became a Dish distributor. Then they switched to Directv, and now they are neither. They still sell some items for the Big Dishes, and some Directv parts, and are importers of entertainment items, but they don't sell Big Dish items anything like they used to.

Fred

Yeah, true enough, probably installed so many dishes so long ago that it's impossible to remember. Maybe you'll never know............I know how frustrating it is. It doesn't really make any difference to how you will use it you just need to know as much about it as possible.

It doesn't really make any difference to how you will use it you just need to know as much about it as possible.

I guess for me it isn't so much need to know as would like to know.

The specifications can be calculated out, but sometimes the calculated specs don't match the manufacturers specs because they have tested it and found it works better with a different spec.

Fred

I didn't want you guys to think that I have been slacking off.

I have been in the process of painting and getting this dish ready to mount. It has become a lot of work, but I think it will be worth it when it is finished.

The biggest problem was with the sleeve/bushing that fits on the bottom pivot pin. When we took the dish down, the bushing was rusted/frozen solid onto the pivot pin. The manufacturer did not tack weld the bushing to the elevation bar like they did the top one, so we slid the bushing out of it's hole which itself was an hour long job.

So I had the job remaining to get the bushing off the pivot pin. I made 3 different attempts of about an hour each with my little Propylene torch to heat the bushing and try and pop it off the pin. You have to remember that the dish is now on it's face, so you can't put too much weight on it, plus, when using a pipe wrench, hammer, chisel, and other tools, you can't apply too much pressure, or you might warp the dish. You also have to keep the heat away from the dish or you might end up with an aluminum puddle.

I ended up having my machine shop buddy come down with his oxy/acetylene cutting torch. We had to turn the bushing cherry red and use lots of incremental tapping with chisel and pry bar to get it off, but it finally came off.

After cleaning it up with my dremel and cleaning up the pivot pins, it is almost good as new. I am going to take the elevation arm next door and tack weld the bushing to the elevation bar like it is supposed to be.

The back side is now painted, and the pivot pins are all greased up. I have before and after pictures along with the elevation bar with and without the bushing in place to show you what I have described above.

Here are the pics:

sleeve-bushing-2.jpg without-sleeve-bushing-better.jpg with-sleeve-bushing.jpg

back-ready-paint.jpg back-ready-paint2.jpg back-after-paint.jpg

back-after-paint-2.jpg back-after-paint-3.jpg pivot-pins-polished-greased.jpg

I used the Wal-Mart $.96 per 10 oz. cans of flat black for the back (took 20 cans). This is the first time I had used this brand and I wasn't too thrilled with the result. I have always used the $.99 10 oz. cans from Lowes and I have never noticed the striping effect that the pictures show.

Has anyone else run across this problem painting with cans?

I'll know if it was the paint or my technique when I paint the front. I will be using Rustoleum dark Charcoal Gray automotive primer for that.

I need to invest in a real paint sprayer, and start buying the paint by the gallon. :)

I'm now ready to start painting the front.

Fred

Hey Al,

With all the work I have put into this dish, the only place it is going to be shipped is up on the roof. :)

Besides, I don't think I can get this into a box and shipped for $10.00. :D

I just hope it performs well enough to warrant this much time and effort. :eek:

Fred

It looks like we are expanding our claims into Arkansas and Missouri and I hope to have a meeting set up with the City of St. Louis by the end of the month. I would be more than happy to pick it up in my truck when your done painting it.:D

Hey OSU,

When you start coming up this way, pack up some of those Birdviews and bring them with you when you come. We might work out a trade. :)

I would be happy to trade this painted dish for an in good shape Birdview. :D

Fred

Well, while you are busy horse-trading, I have a few questions...

About those tie-down ropes on the dish.
Did someone repeal the law of gravity around there , and you were afraid the dish would lift off like an alien space craft? :rolleyes:
Or do you just have big enough gusts that you thought it might?

As to your dish-painting skills, . . .
I'd say you held the can too close or move it too slow.. or both.
However, it's covered, it's on the back side, and after 5 years of weathering, nobody will even care!
Heck, I already don't care! :cool:
Looks great to me!

You got me rolling on the floor Anole.

I thought maybe it was my painting skills that were the problem. I'll try to do much better on the front side.

And thanks!

As to the tie downs. Yes, when a thunderstorm rolls through here, we have had in-line winds of up to 60 MPH just a few weeks ago, and last year had 80 MPH in-line winds during one thunderstorm. The second reason I tie it down, was especially while the bright aluminum is showing is to let the scrappers know that it isn't scrap and that I have it tied down for a reason.

Once I have the front side painted, the tie downs will only be for the possibility of wind.

We had a recycle/scrap yard open here in town last Spring, and the scrappers scour the town when they come in and drop off a load. I had to run two of them off earlier this year who were trying to load up some guttering pieces that I was making a gutter for the front porch with. I hear stories that in the city, they are stealing copper off of the old houses in broad daylight.

I know the tie downs won't really help if they want it, but it might give me enough time to get out there and stop them.

Fred

I hear stories that in the city, they are stealing copper off of the old houses in broad daylight.
Fred
Around here they've been stealing the copper from AC units, particularly from places like Churches. A couple of weeks ago they stole a 150 year old Brass Bell from one of the Churches. It was found in a ditch in the next county a few days later. But the guys who stole it were caught, because they tried to sell it at a scrap yard, and the owner wouldn't take it and reported them. They ditched it and are denying they took it. But, when there place was searched they found all kinds of scrap metals, mostly copper.

Al

People are taking the copper wiring and aluminum from our expressway lights that are knocked down. It basically doubles the cost to put them back up if we have to restring 300 feet of wire and aluminum fixtures. Luckily they can't carry away a 600 pound 40ft pole. Hadn't thought about it, that shiny dish was probably a prime target.

Me and the recycle guy up the street get along very well, and I told him that if any satellite antennas came through that were still in good shape to look them over for my name, and call me. I told him I might be interested in buying any others. :D

I have etched my name into the backside of all my dishes including this one.

Fred

You got me rolling on the floor Anole.

I thought maybe it was my painting skills that were the problem.
I'll try to do much better on the front side.

And thanks!
Ya know , we may joke, but . . .
What about a little narrow 3" roller on a long broom-handle?
Apply the paint from edge to center, then back.
In other words, roll along the radius, walking all the way around the dish.

Flat paint applied with a roller might give it a dull pebble-texture, which'd be dandy.

Maybe you could try it on the back side... :rolleyes: Couldn't hurt! :eek:

If I'm ever in the same predicament, I think I'll go look for a powder coater.
I know they have walk-in and roll-in ovens big enough for a car frame.
If ya could get a dish in one, that would be one fine finish!

edit:
Ya know what ?
I think we had this cleaning, power washing, media blasting, powder coating discussion a while ago . . . :eureka

Looks good Fred...........you're really pulling out all the stops on this dish! If I had to make a guess as to the painting problem, I'd say probably just the lack of control available with spray cans.
I recently painted a new exterior door for my house. On the outside I used an inexpensive sprayer purchased from Lee Valley tools (here in Canada) http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=20048&cat=1,190,43034&ap=1
It worked really well with some enamel paint thinned with laquer thinner. On the inside I just bought some cans of automotive enamel. It seemed like the spray coming out was so fine that between strokes, the first stroke had already dried and the 2nd coat didn't properly "meld" with the first one and it left lines in some places similar to what I see on your dish. With the air powered sprayer I had much more control. The paint was nice and even and glossy. For the price of the sprayer ('bout $50 CDN) it was well worth it, if you already have a compressor. Oh, and I'd also recommend a water filter on the air line. And it's easier on the finger than a spray can!

Yes Anole I remember that thread and just browsed back through it. You had some good thoughts in that thread too. I never did go get that dish and still have the opportunity to get it but have always shied away from it because it is only 7.5 foot. I also saw a problem with the mount on that one on the second inspection that I thought might be undesirable.

Hey Inno.

I have thought several times about buying a sprayer and can get one for about $50.00, just haven't done it yet. Could have probably saved several dollars over the past year if I had already done it verses buying the little cans. I think you are probably right. The spray "beam" is too small and it does dry quickly so you end up holding it too close and not moving fast enough to avoid the marks.

Maybe before I paint the next one, I'll buy the sprayer. At this point I just want to get this one finished.

Let me think about that one for an hour or two. :)

Thanks,

Fred

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)