Special Free System of the Week Contest Ends 7.7.2008 - Satellite AV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My most memorable 4th of July (because I became the target) was my cousin knocking over a bottle holding a whole package of bottle rockets and they all launched at me and the stack of fireworks sitting next to me. Kaboom:eek: Fortunately I had not lost my athletic figure then and running and diving for cover was an easy thing.:D

While growing up, my most memorable 4th of July was....when we would get small firecrackers and toss them at other kids - not too smart but MEMORABLE!
Bob

My most memorable 4th of July unfortunatly is the worst for me. I was 6 and we went to my Grandparents river property for the holiday weekend. That afternoon I fell in the river and nearly drown. My aunt pulled me from the water after noticing me. I was ok although a little water logged. That evening while running the business end of a sparkler I stuck the thing in my hair and burned a huge patch in my hair. Needless to say i had a very bad day. From that day forward we didn't have fireworks again. I think my parents must have been shocked at what they can do. Today we have fireworks in our yard and I stress to my kids the saftey that must be obeyed while lighting fireworks and water saftey as well.

While growing up, my most memorable 4th of July was when .......my wife and I went to the fireworks display at the Esplanade in Boston, MA in the ealry 1990's--there were so many people pushing and shoving at the end of the night that my wife and I felt trapped and really scared for our lives..we've never gone into intense crowds like that again.............

As a kid my early recognition of July 4th fireworks were in southern Ohio. We would set on the levy overlooking the Ohio River and the fireworks were shot over the river.
The most spectacular fireworks I've ever gone to was in Crescent City CA. Many of the townfolks would build fires along the ocean and the fireworks were set up on one of the break water structures. My wife and I commented the scene of burning fires drew visions of what it must have looked like with a Roman legion camped on the beach before an attack.

While growing up, my most memorable 4th ot July was one year when we were young we did not have money for real fireworks on the 4th. We would ride our bikes to the dump where they would shoot 22's for pratice and pick up the empty shells, put a few match heads in the empty shell and bend the tops over. Hit the shell with a hammer and Bam, fireworks. Looking back it was not a very smart thing to do but at our age, our friend that thought it up was a pure genius.

Last edited:
While growing up, my most memorable 4th of July was when ....... we were sitting out on the back of the two door Cutlass behind the old Borden's Ice Cream parlor next to the lake waiting for the fireworks with the bugs eating us alive. The firework barge caught fire and lit up all the fire works at one time instead of a long show.

The best one I think

Well I have a few. But when you setup moters and have people think the main show has started when you light them off over the resivor. It was worth the 1/2 off price I paid during the 4th of july day. Plus it helps when they ask. Were did you get those things from? This year I'm going to get more of them.

dang my bad spelling.

later,

Josh

P.S. remeber to play it say with fireworks. Though throwing one out of your hand with a fast fuse is always fun too.

July 4, 1969 I was tent camping in northern Ohio when The Mother of All Thunderstorms hit without warning, just before twilight. The initial gusts topped 100 MPH. All of our gear was gone in an instant, never to be seen again. We even lost shoes. It was a great adventure for a young boy.

NOAA - JULY 4, 1969 DERECHO

When growing up, my most memorable 4th of July was: in the mid 1970's, we went to Saginaw for the 4th of July fireworks show. At that time, it was given in Hoyt park next to the children's zoo. It was SO COLD :tux: that time, that we were wearing WINTER jackets! Due to this cold, the fireworks rockets and such were either mostly exploding on the ground, or only going up a few feet before exploding! Sure kept the technicians hopping! I'm surprised nobody was hurt, as some of that stuff is pretty powerful!

Saginaw Children's Zoo at Celebration Square

It's a toss up for me......
1966-Provo, Utah. Family Vacation. The most amazing 4th celebration/aireal display I've ever seen to date.
Then a few years later, as a teen, one of the local 4th 'traditions' was to have bottle rocket wars in a field appx 60-70 cleared acres on both sides of a rural road just outside of city limits. Three guys in the back of my buddy's old early 60's Datsun p/u and two in the front. The guy in shotgun, helped navigate and managed the ammo. Us guys in the back were 'gunners'. I dont have to tell you what happens when an enemy round hits your 12 gross ammo dump in the front floorboard! The truck burned to the ground. No one ever got hurt, but I guess it was the last straw. The nearest city annexed that stretch of road by the next summer, and the 'tradition' was no more.

Growing up the most memorable 4th of July was when I was in Tikrit Iraq and we saw the ultimate Fireworks show that the military could give us. They launched off 32 hell fire missiles into a alqida stronghold essentially leveling the whole neighborhood from two Apache's. It was right across from our base and the show was fantastic. Oh did i mention the whole 4th of July Fireworks show cost ed about $2,048,000 of your dollars at 64,000 a missile. Then I went and ate some steaks. Those were 5,000 a box of 24 stakes. :D

When i was young, the most memorable 4th was when dad decided HE wanted to set off the fireworks and set the field next to the house on fire. Had to call the fire dept to put it out. Mom was alittle po'd.

My best memory from 4th of July was when me and my best friend decided it would be a good idea to pry a whole in his bedroom window's metal screen and lauch bottle rockets at cars. Yeah, we got one off as his room filled with exhaust gas from the firework and we had to run out of there. His dad was not too happy. I have always wanted to launch stuff into space.

My favorite memories of July 4th would be the five years that Six Flags New Orleans was open before Hurricane Katrina destroyed the park in August of 2005. It was always fun to ride the coasters while watching the fireworks display over the lake in the middle of the park!

Did I mention that my other favorite hobby is coastering? :)

I was in the high school band in Vincennes Indiana. It was 1976 , the nations Bicentinial. Vincennes is a town of about 20,000 where a very historic revolutionaly battle took place. The parade route was about 3 miles long and along the entire route the crowd was 6 to 7 deep on both sides of the street for the entire route. The crowd was estimated to be over 100,000 people. The parade went on for hours! Since we were the hometown band we were in the front of the parade. After we made it to the end of the route we got to watch the entire parade. There were dozens of marching bands, WWII army tanks and reenactors, hundreds dressed as revolutionary soldiers.

They don't have parades like that anymore.

While growing up, my most memorable 4th of July was when .......

My Gramps used to take us to White Sox games (I am a Cubs fan)they were playing the Red Sox I think but it has been a very long time. I caught my first and only foul ball.....then used it to play catch wiht my brother and friends and quickly ruined it.

While growing up, my most memorable 4th of July was when .......

While growing up, my most memorable 4th of July was when ....... we would all go to this little town in Colorado (Lake City), pop ~300. This was a really old tyme town that had its own home grown parade... I think everyone had a float or was walking/riding their favorite pets.

We had a great time spending all day in the town park picnicing, in the afternoon they had a C&W band playing on a hay wagon... This town still has the old style soda fountain/drugstore that Norman Rockwell would be proud of...

That night, the town would set off its fireworks show against the mountain wall and the booms/bangs and all the pretty colors made that year unforgettable.....

I... AM... PROUD... TO... BE.... AN.... AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:up :D :hatsoff: :flag: @party

While growing up, my most memorable 4th of July was when we were visiting relatives in Fort Worth. We managed to set a field on fire with the fireworks. Much excitement with my Grand Father and my two uncles fighting the fire until the fire truck got there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.