Staff Members ONLY getting referral $$$

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dervari

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Just saw the thread where it was posted to PM a staff member to get a referral. Is it really fair that THEY get the all the $50 per referral payments without leaving it open to all the members of the board?

wonder how long it will take this thread to be locked or deleted? :)

Just food for thought...

And we don't close / delete threads as a general principle. You are at SatelliteGuys, not the other sites...

Just saw the thread where it was posted to PM a staff member to get a referral. Is it really fair that THEY get the all the $50 per referral payments without leaving it open to all the members of the board?

Just food for thought...

Plenty fair!!!

As Scott has said many times, staff members are not paid here. I have no problem with this whatsoever!!

Just food for thought...

I think they earned it running a great site. I don't think they will be retiring off these referrals.

And we don't close / delete threads as a general principle. You are at SatelliteGuys, not the other sites...

You got that right.. We are open and Laid back. Unlike other sites that over moderate, we don't close threads just for the fun of it. Were all different with different points of view here. We don't Censor unless your directly attacking a staff member or another member. Heck even then half the time we leave the thread open for anyone to see.

Plenty fair!!!

As Scott has said many times, staff members are not paid here. I have no problem with this whatsoever!!

I think they earned it running a great site. I don't think they will be retiring off these referrals.

Both of you are right on! And both of those posts Speak Volumes about how satelliteguys is. :)

hmmm....thread would be related to site operations, we should move and hide it.

oh wait, we don't do that sh*t here :)

its ok to discuss anything at satelliteguys, we're open to it.

in all seriousness, it will take a hell of a lot of referrals to pay for the CES trip.

The referrals are best from family and friends, we wanted a way for people looking for a referral to have easy access to it, when the don't have a family or friend with Directv service. I think we were genuinely open and honest about it too. We're not trying to pull woll over anyone's eyes, not hiding anything. :)

Thanks for being a satelliteguy and for your feedback.

I got a referral from the staff here and while I'm very thankful for it I think there should be a thread dedicated to members helping members. I must say I didn't like the feeling I got when the staff shut that thread down that prompted the sticky. I've run pool referral threads before and they're always very successful plus they attract lots of new members. While the staff here is very helpful and I'm glad I found my way here no forum staff gets paid so that argument is null.

I'm honestly surprised DTV doesn't have some sort of limit on the number of referrals you can give per year or something, that seems like a no brainer to me.

I got a referral from the staff here and while I'm very thankful for it I think there should be a thread dedicated to members helping members. I must say I didn't like the feeling I got when the staff shut that thread down that prompted the sticky. I've run pool referral threads before and they're always very successful plus they attract lots of new members. While the staff here is very helpful and I'm glad I found my way here no forum staff gets paid so that argument is null.

I'm honestly surprised DTV doesn't have some sort of limit on the number of referrals you can give per year or something, that seems like a no brainer to me.

So LuBi you got the best deal one can possibly get after reading my thread which I put so much time into, and turned around got a referral from someone else?:)

I never saw Scott's sticky - DOH!; but I am cool with it -- and I am not a DirecTV sub, so I won't see a penny out of it. :)

So LuBi you got the best deal one can possibly get after reading my thread which I put so much time into, and turned around got a referral from someone else?:)

Yes sir, you still haven't replied to any of my PM's. :up It's all good though, I found the info myself and as you can see signed up for DTV. So thanks in any event.

I never saw Scott's sticky - DOH!; but I am cool with it -- and I am not a DirecTV sub, so I won't see a penny out of it. :)

Aww :(, you should change to DirecTV!

Anyways, staff members deserve the 50$ referral credit because they are here everyday and helping people out for free.

Yes sir, you still haven't replied to any of my PM's. :up It's all good though, I found the info myself and as you can see signed up for DTV. So thanks in any event.

Oh I see, you asked me one question what was your AAA region code so you could sign on without being an AAA member.

I guess that staff member helped you committing a little fraud then:)

BTW I hope you do see :) in both my posts.

Oh I see, you asked me one question what was your AAA region code so you could sign on without being an AAA member.

I guess that staff member helped you committing a little fraud then:)

BTW I hope you do see :) in both my posts.

Nice try but I actually sent you three different PM's all of which you did not reply to. Also I wouldn't jump to any assumptions as the staff member simply gave me a DTV referral. Which I would have been more then happy to accept from you if you had in fact replied to any of my PM's. I found the region code myself on my local AAA website as they have a temp card photo posted. Oh, and I did see the :)'s. :up

So going back on topic, any chance on opening up a community powered referral thread? I know I'd sure like to get in on such a thing and I bet it'd do wonders for the community.

Nice try but I actually sent you three different PM's all of which you did not reply to. Also I wouldn't jump to any assumptions as the staff member simply gave me a DTV referral. Which I would have been more then happy to accept from you if you had in fact replied to any of my PM's. I found the region code myself on my local AAA website as they have a temp card photo posted. Oh, and I did see the :)'s. :up

So going back on topic, any chance on opening up a community powered referral thread? I know I'd sure like to get in on such a thing and I bet it'd do wonders for the community.

I only got one PM from you but on to the subject I actually think it is a good idea to get referral from the staff unless members feel like asking other members on their own then they can do so easily with PM too.

I Agree With The Op!!!!

What are you talking about? Post the exact message.

HERE AND HERE

Look pretty closed to me....I'm no Einstein but I'm pretty sure it says closed at the bottom

Plenty fair!!!

Staff are'nt paid anywhere unless you are working for a company. Just because you dont have any issues with it dosent mean others dont.

We all run the site, each of us answers others ?'s. No one said they would retire, but hey couldnt you use $50 off your bill or more???

Both of you are right on! And both of those posts Speak Volumes about how satelliteguys is. :)

Of course you agree, you're a staff member that closed one of the threads that the OP was referring to. Just leaving it visible is beside the point.

hmmm....thread would be related to site operations, we should move and hide it.

oh wait, we don't do that sh*t here :)

its ok to discuss anything at satelliteguys, we're open to it.

in all seriousness, it will take a hell of a lot of referrals to pay for the CES trip.

The referrals are best from family and friends, we wanted a way for people looking for a referral to have easy access to it, when the don't have a family or friend with Directv service. I think we were genuinely open and honest about it too. We're not trying to pull woll over anyone's eyes, not hiding anything. :)

Thanks for being a satelliteguy and for your feedback.

No, you may not move them but they get closed, and then the thread dies because no new post can be made and it gets pushed to the back pages...

I have to agree for the most part...

If your trip had been paid for by the members, would you have brought back enough information and shared it with the community to have justified the expense? Otherwise your going to CES is a personal decision, and at your cost not at the expense of the community. A person working for a corp, has to gain enough benefit from a conference they are sent to and bring it back to the corp before it is worthwhile for the corp to pay for it, a lot of corps make the individual pay if they just slack off while there or will get reprimanded upon returning for failure to represent the corp properly...I went to CES too and if I had enough referrals and didn't have to pay my DirecTV bill then hey that money that I spent of CES would be easier to swallow...

Not everyone has family and friends that want satellite tv or that dont already have it, if you want people to have easy access then let people ask for a referral. Nobody said it was dishonest, or that it was hiding...just not fair.....

moot point....no comment required

...Anyways, staff members deserve the 50$ referral credit because they are here everyday and helping people out for free.

I'm here everyday too and help people for free so are a lot of others...do I deserve then to be a staff member and get referral credits???

I sent the following straight to Scott, never received a reply, so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one on here that feels the way that I do!!!!!:

Private Message: Just my opinion...
Recipients: Scott Greczkowski

01-29-2008, 08:50 PM

lxngtnguy

Just my opinion...
Hey Scott,

Love the forum, I'm here and over at AVS all the time. Although I have neither made a lot of posts nor have I actually been a member for a long time, I read almost every night about topics that I am interested in, and have only recently became a member so that I could reply to messages, I have been a reader for a long long time, but I do occasionally like to through my thoughts out there for someone.

Anyway I am sending this to you because I came across a post in the DirecTV forum CLICK HERE when I got to the bottom both you and goaliebob99 directed people not to post asking for a referral and to contact a staff member, that you would supply the requester with one. I have to say I don't think that it's fair for people to be required to ask staff members only. Everyone on here should have the same opportunity to give out a referral if someone is asking. How is it fair that only the staff should receive the benefits of a referral discount on their account with DirecTV. You made this forum for the free exchange of information, assistance, knowledge, and comment or rumor. Requiring people to only ask staff is out of context with this premise. Each of us in our own way make our contributions to the community here, and should be allowed to enjoy the benefit. Keeping some of the topics closed for anyone except for those subscribers who pay is ok, and understandable. "Premium" content is generally expected to have an additional requirement to acquire. I enjoy the forum and like being a part of the SG.us community. I would assist the forum in any way I can, whether that be through continued posting, becoming a "correspondent"(staff member), anonymously donating(which I have done), or through other means, and will continue to do so for as long as I am able.

I just wanted to say thankyou for the forum, the info, and the work; but I felt like I should share my thoughts with you.

Thanks for listening

Matt
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@insightbb.com

This is all just my opinion but, I agree with the OP, it's not fair, what's good for the goose (Staff Member), is good for the gander (Member) :eureka

Last edited:
I personally don't have a problem with this but I do have one comment for all the ones that have posted issues with the policy.

Why don't you post some comments on how to make a program like this fair for the members if you have issues with the current method? The ways it was done in the past was just not fair for the majority of the members. People would subscribe to the thread and just pounce on every referral that was out there. Is this fair also? IMO no it is not fair. This is why the way it is being done is just fine to me. I would rather see people get the referrals that are here to make a difference and not just because they chicken hawk one thread and that is the only reason they are here.

lxngtnguy;1219254[COLOR="Blue" said:
Look pretty closed to me....I'm no Einstein but I'm pretty sure it says closed at the bottom[/COLOR]

There is a huge difference in closing a thread to keep it clean on closing one because of the comments that are made within it. This thread is a sticky so it won't move down and be lost within all the others.

Please dont misquote me....

There is a huge difference in closing a thread to keep it clean or(changed the OP's word as or not on is what I believe he ment) closing one because of the comments that are made within it. This thread is a sticky so it won't move down and be lost within all the others.

I dont see rockmtnhigh saying anything about closing it because it was a dirty thread, only
with the principle being that it was closed because of only staff members being allowed to obtain the referral.

Please don't twist my words. The post was never closed due to it being "dirty" and wanting to keep it "clean"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts