Star Trek Discovery

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It gets much better beyond that IMO
Possibly, but so far what I've seen (youtube clips) it hasn't gotten worth my time/money to subscribe to CBS All Access (since nothing else on the service is worth it). I'm not calling it bad, just not worth paying money for.

Eventually I'll probably watch this season, but I won't be paying for it.

Ok first of all, it was really disturbing watching Lorca stab needles into his own eyes.

Then came the 'F' word out of Cadet Tilly... and then said again by that engineer Stamets... that killed the family-friendly mood right there, though I'm not surprised, considering how this show is rated TV-MA. So remember when Aaron Harberts said that the show would have "some violent things or tiny bit of language" but they still wanted the show to be for families and to "honor what the franchise is"? Well now we know that was basically an outright lie, just like how it was a lie that this series was part of the "prime universe".

You know, even when they used the excuse that this series would be "building towards Roddenberry's ideals" and that's why some of this stuff exists... even under the assumption that this was the prime timeline (which it isn't), Enterprise is a prequel to Discovery and yet Enterprise's crew was way more civilized and accepting and tolerant of other people and other species, in comparison to what we've seen in the first 5 episodes of Discovery, so that explanation by Harberts and the rest of the producers also is a blatant lie as well.

And last but not least, in an attempt to fill the show with some Trek lore and invoke hardcore Trekkie nostalgia from past series... well last time we saw the Tribble on Lorca's desk, and now they put a reference of Jonathan Archer's name into the series.

Unbelievable. Just... unbelievable.

Hold that thought about the tribble

Checkhov's Gun: Lorca's pet tribble.

The actor playing the Starfleet officer rescued by Lorca from the Klingons is also the actor who plays the albino Klingon. Hmmmm, do we all remember who or what tribbles don't get along with? Wouldn't it be odd if a simple tribble could figure out what a medical scan from a med officer cannot(are you going to tell me that a Starfleet officer who has been tortured 7 months by the Klingons IS NOT going to get a medical check up to see if they are medically fit)?

If a medical officer DOES NOT check out the former POW after his release.....

Reactions: DialgaChampion
I'm sorry, I'm liking this show, its different, beats the crap out of Enterprise... (Which messed with the timeline also)those that keep watching just to pick apart ...why?

Enterprise did have some timeline issues, but having already worked on previous Trek series, Berman and Braga at least did a relatively good job at thinking through how the stories had to be written so that they wouldn't have a major effect on what we knew had occurred in the past (First Contact) and future (TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Nemesis) of the Trek timeline. Discovery so far, on the other hand, has just shown blatant disregard for the whole timeline, which means that either A) the new Discovery writers are incompetent morons who haven't actually watched the other 5 live-action Trek series, B) they have watched the previous series but they don't care about the timeline or the history of the franchise, or the most likely scenario C) this is not a prime timeline series (contrary to what they said) and it's just another reboot in the style of J.J. Abrams' reboot universe.

And for the reason I personally keep watching? First, I watch it for free because I refuse to pay CBS for everything they and Moonves have done to wreck the franchise with this show. Second, I watch in the hope that it will actually get better as the season goes along (which unfortunately hasn't been the case through 5 episodes so far). And third, because I hope that the rumors are true and that either at some point during the season they'll correct course and go back to what Star Trek used to be, or that at the end of the initial 15 episodes, Netflix and/or CBS will step in and do a complete 180, either cancelling the series and creating another one in the style of past Trek TV shows, or creating a 2nd season of Discovery that's not TV-MA, that airs on traditional cable (like the CW for instance, which is owned by CBS but doesn't have the same strict ratings/demo standards that CBS proper abides by) and actually does invoke the same family-friendly futuristic atmosphere that should be associated with Star Trek.

Unfortunately, we already know that it won't be until 2019 at the earliest that we get another season or new series (which is beyond comprehension to the point of utter incompetence, to be perfectly honest, since Trek used to produce 26 episodes per year, and now even though we're in an age where technology has improved and fan films can actually rival those of studio productions, for some reason it takes almost 3 years to produce the exact same number of episodes? but anyways...).

Look, to each their own. If you enjoy watching the show and like what they've done to the franchise, that's your opinion. But when one of your favorite things gets ruined, then don't complain about it, because you'll feel the exact same way that a lot of us older Star Trek fans feel right now. It'd be like if your local pizzeria was using the same cheese you loved for 15 years and then all of a sudden switched to using a different cheese that you didn't like the taste of. Would you stay with the same place for the time being, voice your concerns, and hope that they listen to the feedback and go back to the old cheese? Or would you just immediately jump ship, find another pizzeria and throw 15 years of loyalty down the drain? That's the exact same thing that's happening with Star Trek right now. The majority of traditional Trek fans like myself have been watching for decades and we're staying with the franchise for the moment, hoping CBS & Netflix hears our concerns and makes the appropriate changes, but ultimately if they don't listen, then we won't have a choice but to jump ship and give up on the franchise altogether. In fact, a lot of traditional Trek fans already have, switching to The Orville instead.

Enterprise did have some timeline issues, but having already worked on previous Trek series, Berman and Braga at least did a relatively good job at thinking through how the stories had to be written so that they wouldn't have a major effect on what we knew had occurred in the past (First Contact) and future (TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Nemesis) of the Trek timeline. Discovery so far, on the other hand, has just shown blatant disregard for the whole timeline, which means that either A) the new Discovery writers are incompetent morons who haven't actually watched the other 5 live-action Trek series, B) they have watched the previous series but they don't care about the timeline or the history of the franchise, or the most likely scenario C) this is not a prime timeline series (contrary to what they said) and it's just another reboot in the style of J.J. Abrams' reboot universe.

And for the reason I personally keep watching? First, I watch it for free because I refuse to pay CBS for everything they and Moonves have done to wreck the franchise with this show. Second, I watch in the hope that it will actually get better as the season goes along (which unfortunately hasn't been the case through 5 episodes so far). And third, because I hope that the rumors are true and that either at some point during the season they'll correct course and go back to what Star Trek used to be, or that at the end of the initial 15 episodes, Netflix and/or CBS will step in and do a complete 180, either cancelling the series and creating another one in the style of past Trek TV shows, or creating a 2nd season of Discovery that's not TV-MA, that airs on traditional cable (like the CW for instance, which is owned by CBS but doesn't have the same strict ratings/demo standards that CBS proper abides by) and actually does invoke the same family-friendly futuristic atmosphere that should be associated with Star Trek.

Unfortunately, we already know that it won't be until 2019 at the earliest that we get another season or new series (which is beyond comprehension to the point of utter incompetence, to be perfectly honest, since Trek used to produce 26 episodes per year, and now even though we're in an age where technology has improved and fan films can actually rival those of studio productions, for some reason it takes almost 3 years to produce the exact same number of episodes? but anyways...).

Look, to each their own. If you enjoy watching the show and like what they've done to the franchise, that's your opinion. But when one of your favorite things gets ruined, then don't complain about it, because you'll feel the exact same way that a lot of us older Star Trek fans feel right now. It'd be like if your local pizzeria was using the same cheese you loved for 15 years and then all of a sudden switched to using a different cheese that you didn't like the taste of. Would you stay with the same place for the time being, voice your concerns, and hope that they listen to the feedback and go back to the old cheese? Or would you just immediately jump ship, find another pizzeria and throw 15 years of loyalty down the drain? That's the exact same thing that's happening with Star Trek right now. The majority of traditional Trek fans like myself have been watching for decades and we're staying with the franchise for the moment, hoping CBS & Netflix hears our concerns and makes the appropriate changes, but ultimately if they don't listen, then we won't have a choice but to jump ship and give up on the franchise altogether. In fact, a lot of traditional Trek fans already have, switching to The Orville instead.

I agree, and concur. Fine for those who like it, but I'm still pretty angry that they have ruined the franchise. Enterprise was lousy (until it was too late to save it), but it was something I could at least stomach. Then JJ did his reboots, which created the "alternative universe". (Ok, whatever. Even if you accept that, the original reboot was a stupid story, let's transport across the galaxy why don't we?), and now, twelve years since Trek left television, we get this. They drop F-bombs, they ignore all elements of the time it is supposedly taking place in with post-24th century technology, and its just lousy television. So yeah, I'm with you.

I also am enjoying the show, however it’s because I’m looking at it as a complete reboot much as the new Star Trek movies do. If you don’t insist that it follows the previous cannon, it’s not bad and getting better.

Reactions: osu1991
I saw that the executive producer of the show is a Roddenberry(Rod Roddenberry). I wonder if he is just trying to reinvent Star Trek?

He's just being given a written display credit, similar to Bryan Fuller, who was fired but still shows up as "Executive Producer" in the opening credits of the episodes anyway.

The showrunners actually giving orders and the direction for the series are Alex Kurtzman, Gretchen Burg and Aaron Harberts, but there's one guy in particular who overrides all of them, and he's Les Moonves, the CEO of CBS. Moonves ultimately gets the final say in all of the decisions and that's why Discovery is what it is.

Also, I find it offensive that Deadline writes "Star Trek: Discovery has been well-received by new and old fans of the Star Trek franchise." Umm... no, it hasn't. You want to complain about fake news... well this is the epitome of that. You can never please 100% of the people 100% of the time. However, while some new fans and older fans are enjoying it (as evidenced by the opinions of various posters in this thread itself), the majority of the older fans are not. There are critics online who have posted negative reviews of this show. There are tons of videos on YouTube from people who hate what Moonves has done to this franchise, and there are more of those than positive reviews.

But of course, no, don't acknowledge any of that at all. Just praise the series for resulting in record signups for All Access, before you lost half of them within the same week and then started offering discount promotions to get them back, but hey, you still have more people than before and it's still a new record, so that's what counts, right?

At least it's good that there are still some reputable news and media organizations out there. Otherwise we would've never known the full story behind the production, with people getting fired, why the show was pushed back multiple times from its original release, and why Netflix was legitimately concerned due to the direction the series was being taken in. Maybe they'll fix all of the problems with Discovery in Season 2, who knows?

He's just being given a written display credit, similar to Bryan Fuller, who was fired but still shows up as "Executive Producer" in the opening credits of the episodes anyway.

The showrunners actually giving orders and the direction for the series are Alex Kurtzman, Gretchen Burg and Aaron Harberts, but there's one guy in particular who overrides all of them, and he's Les Moonves, the CEO of CBS. Moonves ultimately gets the final say in all of the decisions and that's why Discovery is what it is.

Also, I find it offensive that Deadline writes "Star Trek: Discovery has been well-received by new and old fans of the Star Trek franchise." Umm... no, it hasn't. You want to complain about fake news... well this is the epitome of that. You can never please 100% of the people 100% of the time. However, while some new fans and older fans are enjoying it (as evidenced by the opinions of various posters in this thread itself), the majority of the older fans are not. There are critics online who have posted negative reviews of this show. There are tons of videos on YouTube from people who hate what Moonves has done to this franchise, and there are more of those than positive reviews.

But of course, no, don't acknowledge any of that at all. Just praise the series for resulting in record signups for All Access, before you lost half of them within the same week and then started offering discount promotions to get them back, but hey, you still have more people than before and it's still a new record, so that's what counts, right?

At least it's good that there are still some reputable news and media organizations out there. Otherwise we would've never known the full story behind the production, with people getting fired, why the show was pushed back multiple times from its original release, and why Netflix was legitimately concerned due to the direction the series was being taken in. Maybe they'll fix all of the problems with Discovery in Season 2, who knows?
Maybe they'll retcon all of the past Star Trek series, & movies, by erasing & digitally replacing the Klingons with the current Discovery version. Could you imagine the uproar if they actually tried something like that?

Maybe they'll retcon all of the past Star Trek series, & movies, by erasing & digitally replacing the Klingons with the current Discovery version. Could you imagine the uproar if they actually tried something like that?
I've heard rumors it's all in the Mirror universe, so maybe that's how mirror Klingon's look. ;)

I've heard rumors it's all in the Mirror universe, so maybe that's how mirror Klingon's look. ;)
No, it's just like revising history to fit today's views. Just digitally change the Klingons to today's Discovery version, & then re-release TOS, TNG, Deep Space 9*, Voyager, Enterprise, & all of the relevant Star Trek movies with the new revised version of Klingons.

*Which should really play havoc with the "Trouble With Tribbles" episode that Deep Space 9 did. "Klingons, Where?" "Those are Klingons. Actually, that episode will probably be dropped to avoid confusion, along with the series of episodes on Enterprise on how the Klingons lost their "ridges."