Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Not much to discuss outside of the overly thick accent.
I use captions for these shows because of this very problem for many shows. That way I don't have to ask my wife what happened if I don't hear it right the first time. She always says if you would watch the screen instead of looking at your phone you would know. :onthego

Wow... I wish more of the season would've been more like this episode. Scotty, Gorn, adventure, suspense, worry, fear, screaming, excitement, happiness, relief, battle. The only bad part was the last text on the screen, To Be Continued... Yeah, like when?

I can see why Pike froze... It wasn't so much the battle, it was more the orders from Starfleet to withdraw and there being people (including Enterprise crew) being captured by the Gorn. The conflict he faced was to obey orders and withdraw vs. leaving people behind (plus the battle and protecting his own crew against huge odds). It's a bad situation to be in.

This episode I will likely watch again, perhaps tomorrow afternoon. I wish it had been a tad longer is my only gripe (besides it being the last episode of S2)...

Again another well worn ST theme. Disobey orders for some "greater good". Star Fleet should just abandon all pretense of being a military organization. This same plot device has been used in ever series, often many times over.

I have said this before, the gorn in TOS, which was an allegory about racial differences and taken from an existing sci-fi story that they just "star trek-ized", was a much better depiction. This version is just space monsters. Hard to believe that such a creature could have developed the technology that it uses.

What, you have to have opposable thumbs in order build things? ;) There is so much about the Gorn that they don't know and most of what they do know is arrived at by guessing and speculation based on observation. The most they ever learned was during the TOS episode "Arena", and even that wasn't all that much.

I have a feeling we're going to learn more than Kirk (and we) did in "Arena", which has the potential to mess with canon, since they'd have to explain how that knowledge got lost (if indeed it turns out the way I think it might)...

The Ready Room was pretty much a deep-dive into the SFX behind the Gorn.

Also, Inverse interviewed the show runners and it appears there “could” be multiple species of Gorn. Plus, I forgot the Gorn made an appearance in “ST: Enterprise” during a Mirror Universe episode.

Reactions: meStevo and dfergie
The Ready Room was pretty much a deep-dive into the SFX behind the Gorn.

Also, Inverse interviewed the show runners and it appears there “could” be multiple species of Gorn. Plus, I forgot the Gorn made an appearance in “ST: Enterprise” during a Mirror Universe episode.
Yep, and looked a bit more like the Gorn in TOS, only CGI'd instead of a guy in a suit. Looking again, almost nothing like the Gorn we've seen thusfar in SNW. So, we have 3 different-looking Gorn, but we can't really count the appearance of the one in "Arena". CGI was in it's very early infancy, so they stuck a guy in a suit...

1691977930215.jpeg

Reactions: Foxbat and TheKrell
Yep, and looked a bit more like the Gorn in TOS, only CGI'd instead of a guy in a suit. Looking again, almost nothing like the Gorn we've seen thusfar in SNW. So, we have 3 different-looking Gorn, but we can't really count the appearance of the one in "Arena". CGI was in it's very early infancy, so they stuck a guy in a suit...

View attachment 164255
CGI was nothing more than a pipe dream in '66.

Last edited:
Even with all the available tech, Legendary still does a lot of work with puppets.

I felt that the CGI Gorn moved to swiftly for their size. Mass has nothing to do with gravity.
Mass can still move pretty fast, watch how quick a bear can go on the attack.

I'll probably circle back and watch the musical episode at some point, but man, what a great couple of seasons of Star Trek this is.

Not really looking forward to the return of Discovery, I like it more than most, but ready for that one to be over. I'll take it for now since it'll probably be a couple years at this rate before we get more SNW.

Don't forget to take account on Human colony's planet gravitational field Strength on Gorn's mass body weight which may not be same as on Gorn's homeworld.;):hatsoff
Science Fiction must always pay attention to the fundamentals of kinetic energy and that's largely independent of gravity (other than its contribution to traction).

These fundamentals would seem to be negated when horizontal changes in direction are significantly impacted by changes in gravity.

Reactions: MikeD-C05