Strange Occurance (RTN/RTV)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Diamond Jim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
The Boilermaker State (#19)
This RTN/RTV thing has got me buffaloed :confused:. About two weeks ago I made a silight up and down adjustment on the BUD and my signal jumped from the low 40s to the high 50s and sometimes into the the low 60s. Great video and audio. Here in the last week or so I have noticed that around 9 to 9:30am EDT I can't rasie any signal at all, I will check back around noon and it's booming again. I will check it around midnight when I come home from work and it's still strong, get up the next morning and nothng. Is anyone else having this problem?

UPDATE: It is now 10:45 EDT and I am getting a weak signal at 33%.

UPDATE #2: It's now 11:40am EDT and the signal is a watchable 46%. By 3pm it will be in the high 50s. I don't get it.

Last edited:
Damn... I have seen this happen before but people lived near buildings like banks. And at night they would lose signal on certain transponders, but when the bank opened in the morning and they turned their security off signal would return.

It was worth a shot. :)

DJ I had to rescan that satellite a couple of nights ago, and I couldn't get RTV to scan in at all.
This Icon rec has a very sensitive tuner and never had a problem with that tp before, so I'm thinking something has changed about RTV. The signal levels still show up strong, it just wouldn't scan it, eventually got it back by manual entry. Haven't lost the signal since then.

Turbo,

I was using an SR 0f 4440 with some luck. Ther other day I was screwing around and did a blind scan on the Traxis and picked it up and locked at 4432. I've seen it as high as 4445, but never as low as 4432. That is the only time I have ever got it on a blind scan, all the others have been manual. :confused:

Diamond Jim,

I have fought with these two channels on 83.0W AMC 9 almost since they began. I find them very frustrating at times and witness quite similar experiences as you are currently.

For a time, there was some interference from another signal called LEO-1 (Video-1 was the channel name that scanned in) and LEO-1 was the ID banner for the TP.

It seemed that in mid morning, this signal would power up and drown out the signal from the RTV TP so much so that it wouldn't lock. Walrus1957 and I found a work around for that during the time. We increased the symbol rate of the RTN TP a little at a time. The LEO-1 SR was lower than the RTV TPs SR, so if you kept increasing the SR for RTV, you could eventually kill the Leo-1 signal while still retaining the RTV signal lock. I think we went as high as 4560 or 4610. Sorry, I don't recall exactly. But, it did work.

I had thought that this LEO-1 signal had gone away quite a while back, though. Since I am recently experiencing problems with the quality strength of RTV, I wonder if the problem may be returning once again.

I forget who posted the information, but one of our members here has a spectrum analyzer and could detect this stray signal which interfered with RTV (RTN) signals.

Thought I would post this information just in case it might have a bearing.

RADAR

Thank you Radar, I will give it a try.

The 4560 knocked the signal up to 60%, which is great. Will have to see what it's like about 9:30 or 10 tomorrow morning. That is the farest I have ever strayed from a posted or scanned SR, amazing.

Last edited:
is it just me or did RTV go bye bye?

I was watching Daniel Boone, which I usually never do, and about 9:50am the signal started flaking out real bad and by 9:55am it was zero on both east and west. :(

The doctor was on the way to save Rebecca and the kids and Daniel was probably going to smack up the jerk guy that tried to take over. Now I'll never know how it turned out! :mad:

So far it's been 30 minutes and it's just dead.

The weather here is plenty clear enough so I know it's not clouds or rain.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'm not getting it here either, on my .9m Fortec/CS 6000 combo.

This is the first time I've tried getting it in a couple of days so I don't know when it went away here, know it was working fine for weeks as of last Sunday or so.

Tried bumping the dish with DiSEqC, no help.

I have the NBC News color bars at 91%

I'm not getting it here either, on my .9m Fortec/CS 6000 combo.

This is the first time I've tried getting it in a couple of days so I don't know when it went away here, know it was working fine for weeks as of last Sunday or so.

Tried bumping the dish with DiSEqC, no help.

I have the NBC News color bars at 91%

I was pretty sure it wasn't just me. It's been working perfectly for weeks (after it took me months to align the stupid thing). It's worked great even in light rain the past week. And today, there is no weather, the sky is clear with only a few fluffy white clouds up there and they move along pretty quick.

Darn, I wish they would fix it! I watch RTV a LOT.. :(

Diamond Jim,

I checked my signal this morning as well. Very bad signal, won't stay locked. This was between 10:30 and 11:00 am CDT.

I tried changing the symbol rate, but it only helped a slight amount. I went up as far as 4.600.

I was watching it last night and it was just fine!

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.