streaming issues

LocutusOfBorg

I have better things to do
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
I'm using an osmio4k where the streaming works OK on some devices but on some the video is jerky and halts. Streaming though an T95Z Max box seems to work OK but not on a T95Z Plus. I swapped them around but the problem persists. Rebooting the routers had no effect. Streaming to a PC running Linux and vlc was jerky also while on another PC running linux and vlc worked fine. This problem comes and goes so I was thinking it was a wifi problem but the stream from the osmio4k to the PC with the jerky video uses LAN only (same router) while the other PC streams OK over 5GHz. The TV box upstairs is over a 5 GHz WDS link and should be fine. There doesn't seem to be any nearby 5 GHz wifi network that would interfere but like I have already indicated the stream over my wifi works on one WDS link but not the other. This problem comes and goes. I'm kind of wondering if I have too many devices on the network so I may have to see if I can get different routers. On the other hand, this problem comes and goes with the same number of devices connected. Why some devices stream OK while others don't have me pulling my hair out. And the link quality of the linked WDS routers runs from 62% to 100%. The routers are configured for VHT80. Right now I'm streaming to 2 PC's here in the man cave with one streaming flawlessly using webif to start the stream to vlc on ubuntu linux 18.04.5 while the other has a LOT of drop outs. One PC is an Asus ROG laptop with i5 processor and an nvidia graphics card and the other is a home brew PC with an i7 processor and 64 GB of RAM using the onboard intel graphics. The home brew PC is the one dropping out. Any ideas? Maybe I should install a pci x16 graphics card in the PC and get an nvidia shield to stream to the wife's TV? The more complex a network.....

Last edited:
-Can you connect the devices via cable (cat5/6) and diable wifi on those devices to rule out / or isolate to wifi issues?
-What type of routers are you running? Commercial grade Gb, consumer, special firmware, etc?
-Maybe try eliminating all other devices in your network other than what you need to stream this data. If then that works start adding devices until the problem comes up again... process of elimination.

-Can you connect the devices via cable (cat5/6) and diable wifi on those devices to rule out / or isolate to wifi issues?

I watched the program over an HDMI cable from the osmio to the monitor and it was still glitching. It's really strange that it would do that while a wireless stream to another PC looked OK. The wireless stream to the Android TV box was glitching though. Rebooting the osmio was no help. Streaming Amazon prime video to PC's, laptops, and Roku's was no problem and, of course, that comes from the internet. It's also strange that when I switch to Imagen on that satellite that streaming is OK. When I went back to Azteca the video was still jerky and freezing. I thought it might have been insufficient C/N but I was getting 13.8 dB at the time (Azteca on 97W) and the metering showed only a half dB variation in the C/N.

-What type of routers are you running? Commercial grade Gb, consumer, special firmware, etc?

I have multiple routers (all 5 are Netgear R7800), using dd-wrt firmware, that are configured in a 5 GHz WDS VHT80 configuration. The minimum router to router speed is shown as 1.3 Gb on the WDS AP router wireless status page. No errors are shown but I rebooted the router 26 hours ago.

-Maybe try eliminating all other devices in your network other than what you need to stream this data. If then that works start adding devices until the problem comes up again... process of elimination.

It's kinda difficult to track down since this is an intermittent problem. I really hate those kind of problems.

I'm experiencing the same issue too. For some reason, when I swapped the location of the MIO 4K with the Octagon SF8008, the issue was not duplicated.
I'm using an osmio4k where the streaming works OK on some devices but on some the video is jerky and halts. Streaming though an T95Z Max box seems to work OK but not on a T95Z Plus. I swapped them around but the problem persists. Rebooting the routers had no effect. Streaming to a PC running Linux and vlc was jerky also while on another PC running linux and vlc worked fine. This problem comes and goes so I was thinking it was a wifi problem but the stream from the osmio4k to the PC with the jerky video uses LAN only (same router) while the other PC streams OK over 5GHz. The TV box upstairs is over a 5 GHz WDS link and should be fine. There doesn't seem to be any nearby 5 GHz wifi network that would interfere but like I have already indicated the stream over my wifi works on one WDS link but not the other. This problem comes and goes. I'm kind of wondering if I have too many devices on the network so I may have to see if I can get different routers. On the other hand, this problem comes and goes with the same number of devices connected. Why some devices stream OK while others don't have me pulling my hair out. And the link quality of the linked WDS routers runs from 62% to 100%. The routers are configured for VHT80. Right now I'm streaming to 2 PC's here in the man cave with one streaming flawlessly using webif to start the stream to vlc on ubuntu linux 18.04.5 while the other has a LOT of drop outs. One PC is an Asus ROG laptop with i5 processor and an nvidia graphics card and the other is a home brew PC with an i7 processor and 64 GB of RAM using the onboard intel graphics. The home brew PC is the one dropping out. Any ideas? Maybe I should install a pci x16 graphics card in the PC and get an nvidia shield to stream to the wife's TV? The more complex a network.....

Sent from my SM-N920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Yes logistics is always a problem! :)
DD-WRT has a lot of settings/variables depending on version, hardware, etc... I remember having issues setting static IPs instead of dedicated DHCP addresses on some devices. No idea why but some devices like static IPs and others don't, there would still be communications but lost packets would slow things down considerably. Figuring out which devices like static IPs and which ones work best if DHCP (the router) determines the address can be time consuming. Most linux/Unix based units seem ok with static IPs, others it's a toss-up. Then there's Mac....

This is reminding me my router has been on the go for a while now. My backup unit is an Asus RT-N-16 running DD-WRT, which will not run my network anymore. Time to look for a replacement before the current unit dies, then at least there would be a working backup. Will have to look for something reliable, an upgrade to existing hardware, and favourable to my bank account. I have an "in" at the local University IT department, with all the on-line lessons going on they should know what to recommend.

Yes logistics is always a problem! :)
DD-WRT has a lot of settings/variables depending on version, hardware, etc... I remember having issues setting static IPs instead of dedicated DHCP addresses on some devices. No idea why but some devices like static IPs and others don't, there would still be communications but lost packets would slow things down considerably. Figuring out which devices like static IPs and which ones work best if DHCP (the router) determines the address can be time consuming. Most linux/Unix based units seem ok with static IPs, others it's a toss-up. Then there's Mac....

All my devices are DHCP clients but they receive a static IP from the WDS AP routers static leases database. The database associates a given MAC with a static IP. It makes assigning static IPs more manageable. All 5 routers have static IPs manually entered, though. Streaming from both osmio4Ks is the only problem I have encountered. All other streaming through YouTube and Amazon Prime via PC or Roku work just fine. I have 3 Rokus that are connected to different routers and none of them have had any streaming problems. I think it's an osmio4k issue since I get the same problem off the osmio4k HDMI port to the office monitor - they're right next to each other but the osmio4k also streams to a Android TV box - when the TV using the Android TV box breaks up so does the signal off the HDMI port. The satellite signal is about 13.5 dB C/N so that probably isn't the problem.

All my devices are DHCP clients but they receive a static IP from the WDS AP routers static leases database. The database associates a given MAC with a static IP. It makes assigning static IPs more manageable. All 5 routers have static IPs manually entered, though. Streaming from both osmio4Ks is the only problem I have encountered. All other streaming through YouTube and Amazon Prime via PC or Roku work just fine. I have 3 Rokus that are connected to different routers and none of them have had any streaming problems. I think it's an osmio4k issue since I get the same problem off the osmio4k HDMI port to the office monitor - they're right next to each other but the osmio4k also streams to a Android TV box - when the TV using the Android TV box breaks up so does the signal off the HDMI port. The satellite signal is about 13.5 dB C/N so that probably isn't the problem.
What image are you using? I see when using Tnap3.2 some of the youtube videos will not start but if I boot to openvix 5.3.39 the same video plays fine. both images are using a different version of GStreamer. Tnap3.2 is version 1.14.4 and vix is 1.17.1 .I don't know if that could be the same problem with streaming satellite channels or not I haven't done any streaming lately at all.

You guys should make a post of this stuff over at Legitfta, and see if El Bandido can make some changes that help. Perhaps he can and will.

He certainly can't fix or upgrade anything, if nobody brings up the issue to him and he's never encountered it, OR, he just doesn't know about it for whatever reason.

What image are you using? I see when using Tnap3.2 some of the youtube videos will not start but if I boot to openvix 5.3.39 the same video plays fine. both images are using a different version of GStreamer. Tnap3.2 is version 1.14.4 and vix is 1.17.1 .I don't know if that could be the same problem with streaming satellite channels or not I haven't done any streaming lately at all.

I'm using TNAP 3.2.

streams here great with fixed ip on the mio using Ethernet cable to an asus router with merlin firmware.
vlc on my 8 year old asus tablet works great. actually everything i can put vlc on receives the mio stream just fine.
but then again i'm running openatv on the mio.

Maybe I should try a different image. I don't like to use other images because of the T2MI issue.

Another thing I've noticed is that the video stream pauses when transferring a recorded file from the mio to the PC.

Hey Johnny. How about listing your concerns here and issues you're seeing in clear, concise verbiage.

Another thing I've noticed is that the video stream pauses when transferring a recorded file from the mio to the PC.
I can interpret this a few ways. You're watching a stream and also xferring a file at the same time, or what?

Maybe I should try a different image. I don't like to use other images because of the T2MI issue.
I offered an image from my mio all setup and ready to go with all of the channels I could get from 131W to 55W.
All it would take on your part would be to flash it to the receiver and do a few tweaks like network settings and tuner settings (Diseqc). What actually is your T2MI concerns? It looks so far like T2MI has to do with only the Spanish channels, and I don't watch those unless the audio stream can be received in English.

Routers, especially ones with custom firmware such ad DD-WRT, Tomato, and others have tweakable QOS parameters to help buffering issues. I had an issue where buffering occurred. Kind of like filling a bucket and dumping it then waiting for it to fill again before it could be dumped. It was all in the QOS settings with a little time spent tweaking it to perfection.
Like I said previously, my OLD Asus TF300T tablet streams from my mio>wifi router with no glitches. It's only 2.4 GHz Wifi.

Everything that can be wired is wired. Everything that can be comfortably set with a static I.P. is.
MAC addresses to my devices Wifi or wired are assigned static I.P.'s in the router(s).
I stream to my garage from the house about 150yards away with an access point at the focus of an old DN dish and a simple Wifi yagi on the garage router (DD-WRT firmware of course). An old Dell P4 pc with a fair Nvidia card running Linux. Ball games and media stream flawless. And my dish moves remotely from it. Firefox and VLC on that one.

I'm under orders to take it easy awaiting back surgery for a blown disc. So I have lots of time to guinea pig things. I back it all up, so Valhalla is only 5-10 minutes away from a total screw up.

Just list the stuff you're seeing there so I can try to duplicate it here to see if I can help.
....T2MI schmeetooemmi.

Hey Johnny. How about listing your concerns here and issues you're seeing in clear, concise verbiage.

That's the problem with trying to get help via forums or e-mail. It takes longer to build an understanding. My problem is complex which makes it more difficult to express in a logical fashion.

I can interpret this a few ways. You're watching a stream and also xferring a file at the same time, or what?

I'm streaming a program to my PC while transferring a file at the same time. The stream stops until the file transfer is complete. Not exactly a "plus" for the mio.

I offered an image from my mio all setup and ready to go with all of the channels I could get from 131W to 55W.
All it would take on your part would be to flash it to the receiver and do a few tweaks like network settings and tuner settings (Diseqc). What actually is your T2MI concerns? It looks so far like T2MI has to do with only the Spanish channels, and I don't watch those unless the audio stream can be received in English.

T2MI issue is the cause of not being able to scan in both H&I East and Decades. Only TNAP scans them in. Anyway, I had fogotten about your offer. I have too many things to keep track of.

Routers, especially ones with custom firmware such ad DD-WRT, Tomato, and others have tweakable QOS parameters to help buffering issues. I had an issue where buffering occurred. Kind of like filling a bucket and dumping it then waiting for it to fill again before it could be dumped. It was all in the QOS settings with a little time spent tweaking it to perfection.
Like I said previously, my OLD Asus TF300T tablet streams from my mio>wifi router with no glitches. It's only 2.4 GHz Wifi.

I was told that QoS was incompatible with some other setting (I don't remember but I think it was SFE). As I recall, SFE has to be turned on for WAN speeds of 500+ Gb.

Everything that can be wired is wired. Everything that can be comfortably set with a static I.P. is.
MAC addresses to my devices Wifi or wired are assigned static I.P.'s in the router(s).

That's what I do with the static leases.[/QUOTE]

After a bit of interest to the file transfer issues. Mio is hard wired to my router. My media server is connected the same way with 1 gigabit Ethernet.
Watching a C Band 4k channel streamed to my laptop with a 5 GHz Wifi link to the main router from the Mio through the webif>VLC there were no glitches. Tried using both the Intel graphics and Nvidia GeForce 940M adapters. Rock solid.
I transferred a MP4 file from the media server appx. 1.5 gigs in size. The Mio has a WD external 2TB drive connected directly to the rear USB port. Again, no video glitching. I will do it again and put up screen shots.
For giggles, the bandwidth monitor on my router showed around 5 mbps streaming 4k only and around 15 mbps during the transfer.
I transferred a second file simultaneously of around a gig in size.
That is where the bottle necking happened. Windows slowed the second file transfer down to the Mio.
The only active devices on my network such as a Fire TV and Roku were idle.
VLC did glitch and the stream froze.
I closed the webif and web browser plus VLC and tried launching the stream again after opening the webif.
VLC would not launch. I tried copying the M3U8 directly into VLC and it would not launch.
I paused the file transfers (Both transfer speeds increased dramatically after the stream was stopped).
Again VLC would not launch through the webif or the M3U8 link.
After restarting my laptop I was able to get the stream again.
I was able to transfer another single MP4 file over the network to the Mio while watching the same 4K stream with no issues and it completed pretty fast.

More to come.
My electronics engineer friend from Taiwan once told me
Evly machine have it rimitations

I've recently noticed that streaming the Music Choice from 125W has a lot of audio dropouts (VLC via webif). When I switch to the HDMI output of the osmio4k the audio is fine. Anyone else notice this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)