The 942 is HERE!

I had my 942 installed today and I had the same closed cpationing problem. I went into the menu and when I turned the CC on, it actually turned the CC off.

The 942 is amazing. I recorded 2 HD Sat channels and 1 OTA HD channel at the same time tonight.

Hi Mike welcome to sat guys. posted with you a couple times at avsforum.

The 942 does sound pretty nice, imagine how much nicer it could've been if they included a second OTA tuner...

I agree BFG. The HD Tivo has 4 tuners which costs $1000 while the 942 has 3 and was only $250 (I leased it). Dish just needs to get local HD stations soon.

Yes just go into the local channels menu and remove those channels, or create a favorites list that doesnt include the subchannels

Mike4HDTV said:
It worked by deleting them. Thanks BFG.
Mike, welcome to SatelliteGuys! You may find that the 942 will parse the PSIP stream and re-add the subchannels (I can't say for 100% since my 942 is still on its way) but the 811 will do this. You may have more success with the Favorites List.

Mike4HDTV said:
It worked by deleting them. Thanks BFG.
Mike, welcome to SatelliteGuys! You may find that the 942 will parse the PSIP stream and re-add the subchannels (I can't say for 100% since my 942 is still on its way) but the 811 will do this. You may have more success by using the Favorites List.

I checked the guide this morning and the subchannels are still gone.

I am not getting program data for my local channels, both analog and digital. I know that the info for the OTA HD stations comes from the local analog channels. The info is only available for 2 hours and when I move the right arrow on the remote to see future programs for today, all I see is "Analog/Digital service". The satellite channels have the full guide info for the entire day and the next 8 days.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Mike4HDTV said:
I checked the guide this morning and the subchannels are still gone.

I am not getting program data for my local channels, both analog and digital. I know that the info for the OTA HD stations comes from the local analog channels. The info is only available for 2 hours and when I move the right arrow on the remote to see future programs for today, all I see is "Analog/Digital service". The satellite channels have the full guide info for the entire day and the next 8 days.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Give it some time to update, but if it doesn't fix itself in the next day, check out these threads:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=41135
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=41156

I am also having similar problems. I am not getting guide info for two of my main digital channels even though the gudie info is there for the satellite provided version.

Interjecting a question here that arose over on AVS...what are folks doing to archive off the 942? Seems the absence of the S-Video out will cripple video quality significantly when, say, offloading to a DVD-Recorder...suggestions/ideas?

Try the composite outputs - to me, they look far better than the svideo outputs of my 921 or 508s.

Regarding the CC confusion that the toggle setting is causing, the next version of the software will give you a screen to specifically turn on or off the CC.

Mark--
Sorry, but you're saying the composite outputs look better than S-Video? I would think that impossible, given the hardware benefits of the S-Video over RCA composite. I don't mean to sound incredulous, but I've never seen that on any other a/v system/box, from a dvd player to a PS2...how could that be?

I was very surprised by it myself, but the results are clear on my television set to my eyes - the composite output from my 942 TV2 looks better than the svideo output from my 921 and from my 508s.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Gotcha...I'll check it out. I'll be looking at it fed through my DVD recorder settop and output to my TV via it's component--here's hoping it all 'holds together'.

I'm not sure how using the analog outputs simultaneous with the digital (will be going stright HDMI from the 942 to the TV) will affect the box's ability to use both tuners for PIP (not doing a two-room feed), but we'll see what happens.

I did a manual update today and all of the program guide data is now available for my local channels - both digital and analog.

Do you guys turn off the 942 at night or do you leave it on?

Does the 942 need to be left on to receive updates?

I'm real curious about the ability to output the 942 to a dvd recorder too. That's one of the things affecting my decision about what to get for an HD DVR.

Assuming that what you say about the composite output being better than the S-Vid is true for others too, are you also saying that the composite outputs ARE active at the same time as the DVI where the S-Vid is not? In other words you can watch one channel (HD or SD) from the DVI output and still output another channel (SD or down converted HD) to a DVD recorder ?

Thanks,
Walt

The 942 needs to be off to receive updates. All outputs are active all the time. You can only output another channel in dual user mode. In single user mode, all outputs send out the same program.

Does the 942 need to be off to get guide updates ?
If so, do I have to use the power button on the unit or can I turn it off on the remote?