They think were idiots

All I can say is some people are just a bit too sensitive. I would have asked the installer to try another OTA module if he had one. If not maybe he had another receiver... With new service come new obstacles to overcome.

I guess at least this will give someone else, with a little more patience, a chance to get Voom since the receiver will be returned.

We'll be enjoying HD without you, unfortunately....

I'm enjoying HD also............with my old receiver. The problem is, Voom insist it's my Antenna when I know without a doubt it is Not! Have they ask me about the red icon, Nope. Just want to sell me a "upgrade" antenna and a service call in 2 weeks from a guy who knows nothing to begin with. What she should've said is "were have someone out Today" and I would've worked that.
To me it's like a ordering a burger @ McDonald's and them saying "were have that out to you on Friday". I'm sorry if you guys can't understand that.

I think everyone understands, we've had to deal w/very incompetent (although sometimes nice) techs.

I think the issue on the board is your attitude about it. Take a deep breath, we all know how frustrating it can be. I don't blame you for cancelling, until they can get this install tech issue straightened out it is going to happen more often than not w/OTA.

You may be right, sorry If I pissed anyone off. I do think I have been very patient with them, after 2 install cancellations and then this..........just to much for me to handle lol. Like I said in my first post, the HD picture was great but with no CSI HD my wife would kill me. When she's not Happy........nobody's happy.

rkr0923 said:
I'm enjoying HD also............with my old receiver. The problem is, Voom insist it's my Antenna when I know without a doubt it is Not! Have they ask me about the red icon, Nope. Just want to sell me a "upgrade" antenna and a service call in 2 weeks from a guy who knows nothing to begin with.
To me it's like a ordering a burger @ McDonald's and them saying "were have that out to you on Friday". I'm sorry if you guys can't understand that.
What model antennas do you currently have? If you want to post in this forum to find a solution then give all the info needed. If you want to post to just complain then dont let the door hit you on the way out.

LOL, see what I mean. What does the model have to do with it Mr Professional?
I've had 3 different D*tv HD receivers and OTA worked fine and is at this very moment.

Forget it guys, he's being an A-Hole.. and all because he didn't want to miss paris Hilton... I'd say concentrate on more willing recipients of your efforts.

rkr0923 said:
LOL, see what I mean. What does the model have to do with it Mr Professional?
I've had 3 different D*tv HD receivers and OTA worked fine and is at this very moment.
Your attitude in this forum is most likely the exact reason that Voom's CSR's and the installers have been little to no help for you. You may not be, but you sure come across as a pompus a**. The reason you are getting BS answers for your problem is because of posts like the last one. We are trying to help by asking for more info and you reply like that!? If you don't want to even try to cooperate in the slightest bit then log off and delete your bookmark for this site. All of the people that have posted to this thread have done so hoping to help you resolve this issue because no HDTV owner should be deprived of what Voom has to offer.

I don't see it that way...........It shouldn't matter if I'm using a close hanger for a antenna, if I have a 80+ OTA signal on 3 receivers why not the 4th?

rkr0923 said:
I don't see it that way...........It shouldn't matter if I'm using a close hanger for a antenna, if I have a 80+ OTA signal on 3 receivers why not the 4th?
Because there is something happening in the fourth STB. Folks are asking you questions to try and help you trouble shoot it without being able to come to your house. If the same cable coming form the antenna is giving you a signal on your D* STB's but not on Voom then there is definitely a problem with the Voom STB's OTA tuner. If you have two cables coming in from outside, one for SAT and one for OTA and the OTA cable is connected to the port labled OTA in the picture below then the OTA module is broken and needs to be swapped out. Either way, diplexor or no diplexor, it sounds like you received a bad OTA module in your Voom STB.

EDIT: If it is a bad OTA module you will have to call Voom and tell them that is the problem and request a service (I know service is kind of a poor choice of words) call to have it replaced. Just make sure that you have them annotate on the work order that the OTA module needs to be replaced so that the tech knows to bring one. Once scheduled call the installer to make sure they know to bring it.

Attachments

• DSR-550back.jpg
    DSR-550back.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 137
BTW, I'm not dishing Voom as a whole. For anyone who wants HD and and not concerned with OTA that much, I highly recommend Voom over any other provider.

I have 3 different OTA receivers 1 built into my TV, Direct TV HD receiver and Voom, I put up my own antenna and every box picks up all my OTA stations I am 30 to 50 miles away from the stations here in GA, I have 70 to 80 foot trees all around me and still have no problems . I got a 3 way splitter to run a line to each box and not one problem .

wasch24.......thank you
That has to be the problem, only if Voom understood that.
One question for you. In my locaction, between Birmingham (70 miles 219*) and Huntsville (50 miles 333*) Alabama. I can receive both OTA markets. With the Voom so called mapping, can I only get the one market they have programmed? Which is Huntsville.

rkr0923 said:
wasch24.......thank you
That has to be the problem, only if Voom understood that.
One question for you. In my locaction, between Birmingham (70 miles 219*) and Huntsville (50 miles 333*) Alabama. I can receive both OTA markets. With the Voom so called mapping, can I only get the one market they have programmed? Which is Huntsville.
For now, the answer is yes. Once the updated software downloads, which we have been patiently waiting for going on a month now, you will be able to map to any station you receive regardless of what market it originates in. The two towers being that far apart may be the reason that you aren't getting anything on the Voom STB. If you are mapped for Huntsville and your current antenna is directional and pointing at Birmingham then you will not receive any signal on the Voom/Huntsville stations.

It's pointed at H'ville and all the stations 8 of them are on the program guide, just no picture.

rkr0923 said:
It's pointed at H'ville and all the stations 8 of them are on the program guide, just no picture.
It is most likely the OTA module then. Are you able to look at the connections right now or are you at work?
Also, once the scanning/remapping update comes out you will probably have to get a rotor to get the two different towers on one antenna.
At least the SAT works for you. If you choose to reconsider cancelling you will be able to watch that until the tech can replace your OTA module. They are already scheduled to come uninstall so just call and change it. In the meantime use your existing hardware for CSI.

EDIT: I just reread your first post. You have two antennas, so no rotor needed. But I am wondering....is your D*tv STB an HD box?

rkr is right about the antenna, if it works for one it should work for the others, in theory. Unfortunately that's not the real case. There are plenty of discussions on boards about the different sensitivities of the rcvrs. With 2 antennas (I am assuming you don't have a jointenna) you may be getting phase interference that the VOOM box is not handling well.

Since the antennas appear to be working properly and the STB is mapped to DMA 083 (Huntsville), it can only be the following. Oh, you may wish to check the system settings hardware menu to ensure it is correctly mapped to DMA 083.

1. Bad 8-VSB module
2. Installer did not install the 8-VSB module
3. Installer plugged in the antenna to the RF port (see wasch_24's pic)
4. Perhaps 2 & 3

If all the above checks out, I would try the following:

1. First, rebooting the STB
2. If 1 doesn't work, call VOOM and ask them to "hit" the receiver
3. Last resort, perform a Factory Reset

Just noticed that wasch_24 brought up an excellent point, did your D* receiver have an analog or digital tuner? Although the Huntsville analogs and digitals are being broadcast in UHF, I noticed most of the digitals are low-power requiring temporary FCC authorization:

WZDX-DT, 41, FOX, 4.4kW
WAAY-DT, 32, ABC, 2.6kW
WHIQ-DT, 24, PBS, 396kW
WAFF-DT, 49, NBC, 41kW

How far are you from Huntsville? Hope this helps...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts