They think were idiots

I just noticed that you are 50 miles from Huntsville. Even with your 60' tower, the odds of you pulling in the low-power stations are pretty slim. I would assume your D* receiver is analog since I would be shocked, and very jealous, to learn you were pulling-in the Huntsville digitals. :shocked

Please read my post way back on page 2. I have given you a step by step guide that won't take more than 5 minutes of your time and will give you the answer conclusively.

There are plenty of discussions on boards about the different sensitivities of the rcvrs.

That's why I mentioned using one of the strongest stations (in my guide). Although different sensitivities could be responsible for differences in reception with lower power broadcasts, it is highly unlikely that a very strong station would be affected by these differences.

Be shocked my friend............I get all of the above mentioned very well plus a few more with the exception of WAAY which comes and goes. They provide no HD content anyway so no loss there. I also get WIAT and WVTM out of B'Ham very well. As for the HD receiver I'm using the Samsung TS160. As for the 8-VSB module not sure what that is unless it's the one to the right of the sat in. It's gray and you can pull it out. Yes the cable is in the UHF just above the audio out jack.

oddwunn...done all that and yes I still have the red light..........I don't see place for any card on the back of receiver. It's a Motorla DSR558

rkr0923 said:
oddwunn...done all that and yes I still have the red light..........I don't see place for any card on the back of receiver. It's a Motorla DSR558
The 'card' oddwun is refering to is the thing labled OTA in the picture. If you don't have that then you don't have an OTA tuner. Call Voom.

Attachments

• DSR-550back.jpg
    DSR-550back.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 144
riffjim4069 said:
I just noticed that you are 50 miles from Huntsville. Even with your 60' tower, the odds of you pulling in the low-power stations are pretty slim.

He should have no or very little problems with:

WHIQ-DT, 24, PBS, 396kW
WAFF-DT, 49, NBC, 41kW

at 50 miles. The other two would be impossible, unless they have recently upgraded.

It appears that WZDX has upgraded from 4.4Kw to 15Kw, but that still wouldn't be enough to go 50 miles. Further investigation shows that WAFF at 41Kw is licensed for that power. So even at 41Kw it is at it's full permitted power.

There is another station I found he should be able to receive:

WHNT-DT, 59, 450Kw.

BTW technically "low-power" for digital broadcast is UHF under 30Kw and VHF under 3Kw. There are other things that come into play where a Full Power station will be issued power under that, such as antenna height.

I'm 46-50 miles from our stations and receive a signal and picture from a 50Kw STA and a 363Kw licensed station.

riffjim4069 said:
I'm sorry, but you do sound like an idiot - the proof is in your posting!

While it is certainly understandable to vent your frustration, it is quite another to blubber nonsensically. Like you, I too had a terrible experience with my OTA install. Unlike you, I gratefully accepted advice from Sean and others in this forum. The folks at VOOM/Installs Inc. bent over backwards to correct my problem. You may have a similar experience if you would just demonstrate a little patience.

Anyway, I hope your reconsider your impulsive decision to cancel VOOM.

Love your hair cut. How do I get one?

Yes, the "card" I am talking about is an electronics card, not an access card. It has a little handle on it and a RF connector on the back panel. If it is properly installed, it needs to be WELL SEATED in the opening in the BACK (not the side) of the IRD and your antenna lead should be connected to the RF connector. For troubleshooting purposes, make sure that you are using the EXACT SAME ANTENNA LEAD as the one that is working properly in your D* IRD. Using one that is connected to the same spot leaves the procedure open for other potential problems.

If you have everything connected properly and the icon is still red, the next thing to do is to tune to a satellite channel and see if the icon turns green. If it turns green on a satellite channel, then you can be about 90% sure that the 8VSB module (the name of that little electronics card) is bad. The other 10% is that the IRD itself is bad, but it is much less likely if the icon turns green when you tune in a satellite signal. If the icon stays red all the time, on any station, regardless of whether the sat channels are coming in or not, then the IRD is defective..

But at least right now we have it narrowed down properly, rather than believing in witchcraft, like the signal gathering strength in the next few days...:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts