transponders

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jnoda1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 24, 2010
miami
Hello, can anyone tell me what would cause one transponder quality signal to fluctuate from 60 to 10 to 0 at times while other transponders on the same sat are steady at over 70. I have a 10ft dish with a corotor 2 with a nor sat band lab and and nor sat ku lnb. I have tried everything I can think of, and still having problems, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

For one thing not all transponders are outputting the same power level.
If you have a properly tuned dish, and most of the time the Quality is fine then goes crazy at times:

1. A hot transponder on an adjacent satellite is firing up for a news feed or something, that is on or close to the same freq.
2. Terrestrial interference. Something on earth near you is transmitting a high power signal near or a harmonic of the freq.
3. If it is very occasional it could be severe weather at the up-link site.

The layman's guide: The Signal Quality reading is likely jumping due to the amount of errors in the received signal that cannot be corrected as the receiver attempts to decode the signal. The SQ reading jumps when it is receiving enough data to produce the program then drops when not enough good data is being received. Usually this means that the amount of good data vs bad data is just on the threshold of not having enough good data to decode. The service's FEC rate determines how much of the data must be received without error to provide decoding.

Or the receiver just doesn't like what's there.As an example ,my AZbox Ultra chokes on the Luken mux (Retro TV) on SES2.Quality bounces from about 80 to 0 and other than a few chirps of sound,it can't deal with it.

Reactions: Titanium
If it's adjacent satellite interference, might try bumping the dish away from it slightly.
Have you optimized the F/D ratio? (Feed throat closer/further from the dish)

Status
Please reply by conversation.