ViP 622 & 722 Running Bug Thread

I've had the 622 for over a year and yesterday I had my first instance of the HDMI port acting up - no picture and no sound, in fact my TV didn't detect any signal at all. After both hard and soft reboots, switching HDMI ports on the TV, different HDMI cable, etc., I called Dish technical support. They responded by sending me a new receiver. Meanwhile, I connected component cables and that worked fine. I went into the Diagnostics menu, then Analysis, and I found the HDMI reset option. Presto, the HDMI signal came back. I have no idea why Dish technical support didn't suggest I try that, but whatever the problem was, that fixed it. I have to believe it's a software issue, not a hardware issue (I have 4.05) I called them back and it was too late to stop the new receiver so I'll have to send it back.

I live in SE Alaska and am having the same problem as Dune. We also get HBO HD etc. off a 110 spotbeam. Like Dune this only happens to me with HBO. All my other HD and SD channels record just fine. Hopefully one of the gurus can figure it out because I have gotten nowhere with any other option so far.

Can anyone confirm this: Loss of CC, if TV2 is turned on first, and then turn on TV1, and TV1 has no CC until soft reboot? I'm on my 3rd 622 and ALL did the same.

I have had problems with CC on TV1 especially OTA, never on TV2. Sometimes I cure it by turning CC off and all the way out and then turning it back on. Sometimes I have back up a push (10 sec) and can then go back to where I was. Most times power off & on does not help. FP reboot often does not help me but I think a power pull would. It is annoying this "sometimes" thing.
-Ken

I've come to expect this kind of insensitivity from hall. Has he ever posted a message that wasn't negative?

Wow, guys, you're amazing. Your forum is one of the few where personal issues arise on 45th page of the thread, not 2nd or 3rd:) Respect.

(I've been reading this thread just to get familiar with the bugs - we're going to start testing 622 and 211 soon.)

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been asked before or discussed to death. I haven't been able to keep up with these discussions, and am hoping not to have to read through this whole thread.

Every once in a while, my 622 just stops showing any TV signal. I can call up the menus just fine. But when I try to watch a live or recorded show, I get nothing. No picture and no sound. Any show that was recording appears to keep recording, and it shows up in the menu as if the whole show was recorded, but when I try to watch it, it just stops at the time the picture and sound turned off. I know the DVR can send info to my TV, because the menus still show up.

Most times a soft reboot fixes it. Once I had to do a hard reboot. I don't know what triggers it. It can happen when we are actively using the DVR. It can be that way when we turn it on. Any thoughts on what could cause this?

Thanks for any input.

i've had the 622 for over a year now. it has always been flawless until the last couple / three software upgrades - now it craps out weekly

it's hard not to post a thousand questions on here, like when will this be fixed

to add to your issue i quoted above, my box has done the same thing. both tuners go black, no audio but the menu works fine, but in my cases the recordings continued (i guess in the background), and if you leave it in this state (seemingly locked up) w/o a restart, and wait to restart a few hours later, the recordings show up just fine

i have noticed that it has occured more often under the following circumstance: when recording satellite, (or recording on both satellite tuners) and then tuning to one of the OTA stations

Mine has been turning to black screen with working menus as well. It happens regardless of whether or not it is recording anything and I do not use the OTA tuner. Sometimes when I go to watch a recorded program it shows up as just a black screen. In all of these instances it resolves only with a reboot. It is extremely frustrating and happening frequently recently.

I've been getting reboots from the 622. Usually after geting deep in the menus or searching while there, but at least once while just watching with fingers off the buttons. It's hard to explain that by stack overflow. It seldom did it before 4.0x.
-Ken

Last edited:
I've been getting reboots from the 622. Usually after geting deep in the menus or searching while there, but at least once while just watching with fingers off the buttons. It's hard to explain that by stack overflow. It seldom did it before 5.0x.
-Ken
I assume you mean 4.05.

Dish has admitted to some of us that the "reboots" is a know issue and they're offering to replace the receivers at no charge. I think they just don't want to publically admit there are hardware variations in some units that it's not viable (of possible) to fix with software.

Mine's going back

I was contacted by the one of the engineers in the Field Support Software Engineering Department today. Looks my C version unit is about to be replaced so they can get their hands on it to find out what is making it do the BSOD's.

Just purchased a Samsung 4061 and will pick it up this week. Next is to contact Dish to hook up another HD receiver. I have been reading about all of the problems with the 622 so I am concerned with getting one. Should I wait until the bugs are out and stick with a 211 or should I bite the bullet and get the 622? Thanks for any help?

I have had problems with CC on TV1 especially OTA, never on TV2. Sometimes I cure it by turning CC off and all the way out and then turning it back on. Sometimes I have back up a push (10 sec) and can then go back to where I was. Most times power off & on does not help. FP reboot often does not help me but I think a power pull would. It is annoying this "sometimes" thing.
-Ken

I have had my 622 for a month or so. It is in single mode and the CC works on some channels but not all channels. I tried a Tech chat today and that was fun. I did get to a 2nd level and first he told me to reboot. Told him that hasn't helped. He asked if CC was enabled on my TV as well as the 622. I told him I was aware that HDMI didn't pass the CC and that it is part of the Dish video signal so it did not have to be enabled on my TV. I told him I also thought the problem was related to MPEG4. He then tried to blame it on the broadcasters. I then told him that it was my understanding that because HDMI would not pass the CC signal from the broadcasters that the FCC was requiring Dish, DirectTVand cable companies to provide the signal. At that point he admitted it is a known problem and that Dish engineers are working on it. Ain't it fun when you back 'em into a corner?

myron243 I'm glad you managed an acknowledgement by knowing more.

The proof of the 622 closed caption (CC) failure (and partial failure where some text is missing) is to go to TV2 and with the TV captions on you can play the same recording and the text is complete although semi-transparent is not likely an option on your TV. And as I said before you can sometimes get it back by turning it off and back on.

BTW, it seldom fails on HBO or HDNet with CC described but is often missing on some other premium channels despite the CC in their descriptions.
-Ken

Who is responsible for providing the correct program information for HD local OTA sub-channels, the local station or DISH? About a week ago program information was added by DISH for our local Tucson PBS station, KUAT. 6-1, 6-2, 6-3, and 6-4. For the past year that I have had my 622, 6-4 has been showing the CREATE channel. I've used the manual timer to record on that channel. When DISH added programming info, they added programming for PBS-KIDS, which is not what is being shown. Is DISH responsible for changing the programming to CREATE, or must KUAT do it?

I just recieved my replacement 622 Wednesday. Spent 2 hours with support trying to find out why I can't recieve channel 142 and 200. I'm missing at least those two stations. The channel banner comes up, but the screen is blank. Support ran me through a bunch of tests and such. Techie is making a house call tomorrow. Anybody else had this issue with the 622.

I wonder if they'll ever replace the 1 icon with the antenna icon for ota recordings :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts