Voom Alive! --- 21 days & counting (post sale of Rainbow 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did you get your in about HD News? And why would a news channel be cancelled and keep its anchors? makes no sense

voomlover said:
Where did you get your in about HD News? And why would a news channel be cancelled and keep its anchors? makes no sense
HDNews has not been cancelled. That is on the list as a sign that the end is near. In other words, when HDNews goes off the air, or the anchors are no longer there and they've reverted to the weather screen or something, it's a pretty good bet that Voom ain't gonna be around much longer. Despite what you keep reading in these posts, this thread is about things that will signal to us that Voom will not be on the air much longer.

I am a VOOM dealer/installer.

They pay us well to install VOOM. The first thing that VOOM would do to save money and irrate customers is to stop all further installs. As of Monday afternoon this has not happened.

Also remember that 2 months VOOM ordered more Satellites. You don't order more sats if you are going to close the doors in 2 months.

A new Satellite company is a long term venture not a year and a half. Charles Dolan is not stupid. I'm sure this is a long term venture.

As soon as I get any info on the installs I will post it.

Let's hope VOOM is around for a long time.

Remember...Voom is being SOLD to Echostar. They really have NO obligation to continue services. The value of the sale are the hard assets (satellite, frequencies, ground station) & NOT subscribers. Echostar is NOT buying subscribers!!!!
Once sale is final, Voom will probably cease to exist & all Voomers will be invited to become Dishers.
Hopefully, Dish will use the new assets wisely & dramatically increase its HD offerings as well as start using the Motorola receivers for HD instead of their own POS hardware.

lrasta69 said:
Also remember that 2 months VOOM ordered more Satellites. You don't order more sats if you are going to close the doors in 2 months.

Actually it was three of them, but in the contract to build them was a buyout clause for $100 million to get out of the deal.

Tahoerob said:
Remember...Voom is being SOLD to Echostar. They really have NO obligation to continue services. The value of the sale are the hard assets (satellite, frequencies, ground station) & NOT subscribers. Echostar is NOT buying subscribers!!!!
Once sale is final, Voom will probably cease to exist & all Voomers will be invited to become Dishers.
Hopefully, Dish will use the new assets wisely & dramatically increase its HD offerings as well as start using the Motorola receivers for HD instead of their own POS hardware.

You do not have the facts right. Echostar bought a satellite and a new up-link center from Rainbow DBS. That's all they bought. THEY DID NOT BUY VOOM!

Indy said:
You do not have the facts right. Echostar bought a satellite and a new up-link center from Rainbow DBS. That's all they bought. THEY DID NOT BUY VOOM!

Did they buy the new one? I thought they bought the one voom uses now to feed the current bird?

My little pipedream here but I hope voom basically dies for the next few years and keeps on lifesupport all the while getting their 5 lockheed birds up there and get all the tv contracts worked out and whenever all the new birds are up (5k HD channels) re-launch voom with working dvr from the start and their own installer network.

They would instantly trump anything anybody would have to offer.

So what's going on with the rumored 31 Jan shutdown? Anyone have any ideas/rumors to share. It seems to me that VOOM needs funding to keep operating until the sale of the satellite is final (3-6 mo according to various posts). Who is footing this bill? Does Cablevision continue to take loses on what is perceived to them as a loosing venture? VOOM will continue to take subs, make service calls, e.g. for the short term as these departments are probably separate from the money/operations guys. Oh well, I'm going home to watch pre-show Monster pre-views. man I love that station...

Bilodeaumj said:
So what's going on with the rumored 31 Jan shutdown? Anyone have any ideas/rumors to share. It seems to me that VOOM needs funding to keep operating until the sale of the satellite is final (3-6 mo according to various posts). Who is footing this bill? Does Cablevision continue to take loses on what is perceived to them as a loosing venture? VOOM will continue to take subs, make service calls, e.g. for the short term as these departments are probably separate from the money/operations guys. Oh well, I'm going home to watch pre-show Monster pre-views. man I love that station...
IMO, VOOM will stop advertising and installations within the next few days. Then, yes Cablevision will have to assume the losses for continuing the service until the FCC & SEC approvals are done (~3 mos). They'll probably try to minimize the losses by gradually reduce the service (no new programming & no HDNews anchors)

TheTimm was right. Here are the instructions again.

DO NOT POST STUFF THAT HAVE ALREADY BEING POSTED IN OTHER THREADS. This thread should be only for signs that the end is coming. Please do not give us your own opinion of what you think it is going to happen, ONLY post if you see any of these events happening or if you want me to add any more.

Really Stone Man, I think we were on topic:) I was just commenting that I don't think the fact that VOOM is still taking sub orders or tech calls is a reliable gauge for them staying in business. Those are potentially completely different departments than the guys who call the shots for keeping the doors open

Showing the cash to stay alive for the short term is what I'm interested in (or evidence that cash has stopped flowing...)

The Stone Man is right. the rules for this particular thread is no comments or opinions. Only established, documented facts that either point to a shutdown or staying live ("ha ha ha ha Staying Alive") Sean rules this thread and sets the rules.

Bilodeaumj said:
Really Stone Man, I think we were on topic
Sorry, I don't get it.

All I did was bring up the point that if Voom stops trying to collect monthly payments that are past due, that could be a sign that the end is near.

Sean Mota said:
7 - No more Advertising.
Are you talking about ads appearing on Voom, or Voom ads appearing on other channels? If so, I haven't seen a Voom ad in over a week. Of course, I'm not watching every HD channel, but they ran a lot of ads on DiscoveryHD and I haven't seen one there in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts