Voom Alive! --- 21 days & counting (post sale of Rainbow 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Various post have been deleted for not keeping in the spirit of the thread. This thread is not about anyone's opinions but signs of death or life for VOOM. I will continue deleting posts that do not conform to this on this thread (including this one). There are other threads where all speculations or discussions can be discussed. Even if there is none, we encourage anyone to start a new one. Thanks for your cooperation.

Paid Programming Still Alive

1:34 EST and am watching a Voom infomercial.
This is the 3rd or 4th I have seen this week while channel surfing.
Not sure if this is a good sign - why push the service if it's about to fold or no funding after 1/31 - or. it's a bad thing, because this programming slot was bought weeks/months ago before the dreaded E* sale wen through.
Just an observation.
Still Vooming under a rainy sky in Virginia!!!!!!

Was installed three days ago

I finally got my Voom installed on Friday. I was wanting it for months, but was waiting for the DVR. When I heard that they might fold and sold the satellite, I decided that I should make my voice heard the best way I could by subscribing. Even if they do fold, at least I got a few amazing days of REAL HD. The install went well except one of my TV's can't get any signal from the OTA (even though they are all split off the same feed). Anyway, the install company has already contacted me for a service call to fix the OTA issue. Seems to me like they wouldn't bother if Voom was going to be folding tomorrow. I could be wrong, but I'll take it as a good sign.

Install this week

rang1995 said:
let us know if they do come and Install--that would be telling

I am also scheduled for an install. It is this Thursday between 8 AM and 12 PM. I will also let everyone know if it happens and if the installer has any insight. I did get my Welcome to Voom package in the mail on Friday. I too hope that if they happen to go under, E* will continue the service using Voom's equipment. I currently have E* but wanted to go HD and think that Voom has the best programming for that.

On the Voom website, they now list the number to call to start service as "1.866.931.VOOM".

I would swear that last week it still said "1-800-get voom".

Not sure what it means, but it can't be bad.....

-k

just signed up to voom

I am new to this forum but signed up to voom last week before reading up on everything. My original install date was next week (the 7th) but I then received a call upping the install date to the 3rd and then another call upping it to today (the 31st of jan). They had no reason except for having an opening in the schedule, which is great for me as I wanted it solely to watch the superbowl. I am hoping that the service is not discontinued as directv is currently driving me up a wall with different issues and paying $300 up front to have another dish installed hardly seemed worth it for the few channels I would receive. I will post again if the installer tells me anything but based on the fact it is the same guy who did my directv he will not be very informative (or intelligent) on any issue I ask.

Hope: OTA upgrade

Just a nugget for anyone like myself holding out hope that there's still life in this baby...

Got installed about 3 weeks ago - of course OTA antenna wasn't strong enough so needed to get upgrade. The installer seemed to be giving me the run around; this morning I find out that he's no longer installing for Voom.

Called up Voom CSR - as always they were extremely nice (why is it that the only company that I get *really good* customer service is the one that's on the block? Adelphia's CSR department were the straw that finally drove me to satellite--why couldn't they be suffering this fate instead?).

They're working with Installs.inc to find me another installer and have me on the books for a Tues Feb 8th upgrade appt (but promised to see if they could get this done before Superbowl.)

Seems like it's definitely 'business as usual' over at Voom at least. In the meantime, I'm sucking up all the HD I can - learning lots about Milan Fashion, Artic Exploration and am now a big fan of Spanish Soccer :)

Carter said:
The Voom ad is gone from AVS. It use to be in the top right corner.

Well, Scott mentioned that Voom is not going to be advertising in the month of Feb. Maybe this is a sign that the end is coming soon. However, I am just going to wait for a formal Voom statement.

r.jones1116 said:
I received my paper copy of my autopay from Voom on Saturday. It states it is for the billing period from 01/14/05 to 02/13/05. So, I guess they plan on being around until 02/13/05. I'm sure they will be around longer.

A father-son showdown in the family that controls Cablevision has ended with the son outmaneuvering the father and persuading directors to vote to sell the company’s troubled VOOM satellite business to Echostar Communications for $200 million in cash, the New York Times reported.

During a hastily scheduled meeting last week, the directors sided with James L. Dolan, the 49-year-old chief executive and the heir apparent, against his father, Charles F. Dolan, the 78-year-old founder and controlling shareholder of Cablevision. The father, who founded HBO, wanted to keep Voom. The son wanted to sell.

The meeting appeared to have been prompted by outside directors who were concerned about the satellite company. Several independent directors were concerned about the possible legal implications of supporting VOOM despite its losses and criticism on Wall Street. Problems at the company had become so noticeable that even longtime family supporters had started to oppose the project.

The service has 26,000 subscribers and has about $76 million. When Cablevision recently canceled plans to spin off VOOM and its Rainbow Media group, it said it would “pursue strategic alternatives” instead.

After the sale to EchoStar, the company said it would continue to provide the service to its current customers during a transition period, but did not elaborate on what would eventually happen to them.

Under the terms of the deal, EchoStar will pay $200 million in cash for Cablevision’s satellite, called Rainbow 1, as well as federal licenses to construct, introduce and operate satellite services over 11 frequency channels. In addition, EchoStar will buy the company’s ground facility in Black Hawk, SD, and related assets.

EchoStar, which operates under the Dish brand, said it was going to assess how the Rainbow satellite’s flexibility can best be utilized to enhance the Dish Network’s existing service.

Cablevision, based in Bethpage, NY, said it would continue to explore strategic alternatives for its remaining Rainbow DBS-related assets, including programming, equipment and spectrum.

http://broadcastengineering.com/newsletters/bth/20050123/voom-cable-sale-20050123/

Voom . . . still kicking

As of 6:30 AM EST, Voom continues to transmit programming.
I guess the whole, we only have funding through 1/31/05 was a falsehood.
That's good news.
Hopefully, Sean will have some details on the ??meeting?? from yesterday and we can maybe get some concrete answers as to what the future holds.
Still holding out hope that Voom will be around for many, many months and years to come.
Sigh.
Still Vooming under a sunny VirginIA sky.

If there wasa meeting there will be a public record. People are putting too much stock in the rumor du jour.

Just received this from VOOM. Looks boilerplate, just new boilerplate as it appears to be a fresh auto response:

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
I'm scheduled to get VOOM installed Wed. I currently have Dish Network. How w...

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (William M.) - 02/01/2005 08:26 AM
Thank you for choosing VOOM - HDTV Delivered!

VOOM is operating normally and is continuing with plans to expand its programming lineup and enhance your service. Look for announcements as soon as next month and throughout 2005. I recommend frequenting our web site, and signing up for our HD Newsletter. That way you may be notified of the latest developments in VOOM as they become available.

Meanwhile, we are pleased to provide up to three times the number of High Definition channels compared to other satellite companies or cable, in addition to the full array of standard definition channels you expect.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact us.
Thank you for choosing VOOM - the leader in High Definition programming!

Autumn H.
VOOM Email Support

Customer - 01/31/2005 09:00 AM
I'm scheduled to get VOOM installed Wed. I currently have Dish Network. How will the recent buyout of VOOM by Echostar effect my service??? Need answers to what will happen to my service before I make the switch!

Helpful Links displayed on website on - 01/31/2005 09:00 AM

jimmykce1 said:
Well, Scott mentioned that Voom is not going to be advertising in the month of Feb. Maybe this is a sign that the end is coming soon. However, I am just going to wait for a formal Voom statement.

Boy are you behind the times. Scott just said late last week that VOOM renewed and he accepted advertising for February.

Why is Dog reposting meetings of the old VOOM board meeting from two weeks ago again?it already appers on this board. That is still old news. We are waiting for new news. That is why you call it news.

gutter said:
Boy are you behind the times. Scott just said late last week that VOOM renewed and he accepted advertising for February.

Why is Dog reposting meetings of the old VOOM board meeting from two weeks ago again?it already appers on this board. That is still old news. We are waiting for new news. That is why you call it news.

Yeah, I was scratching my head on that one too!

i see Davis Mcgreaw is on the thread maybe he is back a work today and can give us a update from last night he said they were going back in at 7;00 when he left.

gutter said:

To be fair, the first post in this thread clearly states (an points in two places) that SatelliteGuys.US will NOT be accepting advertising for February:

(e) Satelliteguys opt out of advertising with VOOM in February 2005
(f) Scott (Administrator of Satelliteguys) opted not to renew Voom ads in February 2005

BUT I see Voom still has their banner ad so I guess they are accepting ads for February?

mikbro said:
To be fair, the first post in this thread clearly states (an points in two places) that SatelliteGuys.US will NOT be accepting advertising for February:

(e) Satelliteguys opt out of advertising with VOOM in February 2005
(f) Scott (Administrator of Satelliteguys) opted not to renew Voom ads in February 2005

BUT I see Voom still has their banner ad so I guess they are accepting ads for February?

But you both missed the post that stated that Voom afterall will be advertising with SatGuys in February. I believe Sean stated it in one of his posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)