VOOM OTA Mapping Problems? (Channels listed are not as expected)

If my local WB channel shows up in Voom's Zap2It program guide, but my receiver does not have this channel mapped, all other locals from the guide are there, is this a problem? I ask because I checked out antennaweb.org and saw that this WB channel lists as 'Waiting for FCC Permit'. So do we think my WB is broadcasting, or is this just early addition of a channel to the Zap2It giude prior to the channel being live? Anyway my Zip code is 12205, the channel is:

WEWBDT 45.1

Sean Mota said:
mtuller,

Do you know if WB "live" or is it still "Waiting for FCC Permit"? If it is "live" then VOOM has not mapped it to your box. If you have not done so, send me your information to Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us (full address).

Well when I went to the FCC.gov website and it says 'Application' for the Digital Station of the local WB. So I guess that means no they are not live, I guess. I know on antennaweb.org it says "Waiting for FCC permit".

Sean,
Any info on my OTA? At this point I'd take the channels mapped without guide info.

n0qcu said:
Sean,
Any info on my OTA? At this point I'd take the channels mapped without guide info.

I did not get any word yet, except for what I posted about CT station being fixed for those that live in CT. Sorry.

Here's a good one for you guys: I thought I was not receiving my WS FOX channel because I rarely watch it and they are always switching the WS assignment from sub channel 1 to 2 and back so I never know which channel is which until I tune it in. VOOM is mapped to channel 1, as it should be. Here's my issue: On my Dish 6000, the picture looks correct but on my Voom box, the channel is vertically stretched like an anamorphic DVD viewed on a TV incapable of vertical squeeze. No other channel has this issue and it is fine on my 6000, so why is the Voom box not squeezing it? My VOOM STB is in Auto mode.

Progress! Another OTA channel was just added to my PG. That now makes a total of 2. Only 5 more to go. Thanks Sean, Wilt, and Peter.

Edit: Have: 8-1 and 46-1
Have Not: 11-1, 11-2, 35-1, 36-1, 48-1

slyscooter said:
Sean channels 26-1, 26-2, 11-2 have showed up in my program guide and are working now. Thank you for all your help in this matter. It is great to have a forum to solve these issues. I believe ABC in Chicago channel 7-1 is also multicasting on 7-2. This is the only ota that I think We in chicago don't have.

Thanks
Slyscooter

Yes, 7-2 is still missing in Chicagoland. I used to watch it on my TVs built-in digital tuner. Is there something we should be doing to request this? It looks like it is showing up on zaptoit's channel list.

My OTA programming for Salt Lake City includes channel 4-1 and 4-3. There is nothing on 4-3. I talked to the engineer at the station and he told me they have nothing on 4-3 but they have programming on 4-2. 4-2 is not mapped. I called VOOM and they told me that they are doing no additional OTA mapping and what I get is all I can have until they convert to manual mapping.

Finally!!!!!!

:) Finally, after over two months of VOOM, I came home last evening and found my satellite icon on my STB was glowing RED!!!
I knew something was up. I did a front panel reset and behold: one of my three OTA channels was mapped!!
Just two more to go but, I'm happy something is happening.

Thanks to Sean for at the very least his moral support in my time of need.

HD Junkie,

glad that it happened for you... If any others problems are resolved, please post here. I haven't had the chance to update the list in the first page with the new additions and those whose problems have been resolved but I will this weekend.

Folks, please remember that the OTA guide for Zap2it is distinct from the Voom national portion. It is always oftentimes incorrect, even after repeated mails to Zap2it. Antennaweb.org is typically more accurate but not always. Waiting for permit or low power or long distance means low likelihood of receiving channels. Also, antenna orientation (or rotor or antenna use) will limit or enable additional channels. Out of my Voom box I still have a couple mismapped channels, but they are correctly mapped to, albiet wrong, public info. I also cannot get approximately 1/3 of the channels based on power levels, distance & obstructions, etc.

The only comparable way to tell what you could/should be getting is using the same antenna feed into another (non-Voom) STB or HTPC with OTA card (like MyHD). Even absolutely correct mapping cannot overcome the laws of physics.

Confused and Frustrated new Voomer...help!

Hi All,

Well, I had my install done right before I left for a one week vacation. At the time the install was done, I did not have the lattest firmware but it looked like all the Sat channels showed up including info on the guide. The install guy mentioned that the OTA channels should show up latter on and so before my wife and I left town, I left the Sat box "on" 24/7 for firmware/software upgrade and to see if when we return from our vacation, the OTA channels will show up.

We are now back in town, and I see the lattest firmware upgrade v568 and all the local channels mapped properly on the program guide. Even the clock on the guide showed with the correct time. However, when I try and select any of the OTA channels, it does not show up and a few of the sat channels do not want to tune in either. (for example, none of the Cinema 10 channels show up). What's going on?

Before I call Voom up for an explanation, I was wondering if someone can give me some hints. My existing OTA antenna (coincidentally, it is a Stealth Antenna) had worked very well with my old DirecTV box and picked up all the high def local channels (I had already cancelled my DirecTV service over a year ago and have been getting free local High Def broadcast using the Stealth Antenna and my old DirecTV box).

During the Voom installation, neither I nor the installer moved the my existing stealth antenna, we just hooked the RG6 directly to the OTA coax connection in the back of the Voom box (I currently do not have the Stealth antenna amplified).

First question: Compared to my old DirecTV box, is the Voom box OTA tuner capabilities not that great/strong? Do I need to amplify my existing Stealth Antenna? Do I have to re-orient the pointing direction of my existing stealth antenna? I would think that I do not need to do this since it worked perfectly fine prior to the Voom install.

Second question: Why am I not getting all the sat channels, including Cinema 10 channels? again, is this a Voom box issue? Does overcast or bad weather affect the reception of the Sat channels. As I write this, the weather in the Dallas area is overcast with light rain.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

Try to plug/unplug the box. If this does not work, go to the system settings after tuning to any cinema channel and see what the signal quality and strength is. Report back. I am just thinking out loud here and you may need to repeak the dish. Try this.

It Worked...

Sean,

Thanks for the suggestion. I unplug the box for about 3 minutes, and then replug the box to the outlet. Everything is working great now.

By the way, my sat signal quality is about 85/86 and my OTA signal quality is about 64/65 without amplification.

I wonder if I even need to amplify my stealth antenna?

Thanks again for the assistance.

Regards,
Tony.

TVH said:
Sean,

Thanks for the suggestion. I unplug the box for about 3 minutes, and then replug the box to the outlet. Everything is working great now.

By the way, my sat signal quality is about 85/86 and my OTA signal quality is about 64/65 without amplification.

I wonder if I even need to amplify my stealth antenna?

Thanks again for the assistance.

Regards,
Tony.

The 85/85 sat signal quality looks like it needs repeak. If you have an 18" dish, you might suffer from rain fade and lose picture. The OTA depends how far you live within the transmitter and whether the specific channels are transmitting at low or high power.

I finally got my second FOX subchannel in the guide, thanks Voom, I can now get all OTA channels that are available to me.

DarrellP said:
I finally got my second FOX subchannel in the guide, thanks Voom, I can now get all OTA channels that are available to me.

you got all you locals just in time for Voom to give us the latest firmware with scanning! :)

Bill

Repeak

Sean,

You had mentioned, "The 85/85 sat signal quality looks like it needs repeak". What does this mean? and yes, the installer installed an 18" dish instead of the larger version. Please explain.

I am approximately 30 miles from the local station broadcast towers. Do you recommend me going ahead and installing the amplifier for the Stealth Antenna? Because I have just returned from vacation, I have not had a full night to watch local HD broadcasts to see if I get signal breakup/ pixelation/or dropped audio. From your experience, is OTA signal quality of 64/65 sufficient to not cause any drop outs and pixalation?

Thanks again,
Tony.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)