VOOM OTA Mapping Problems? (Channels listed are not as expected)

Videofx said:
you got all you locals just in time for Voom to give us the latest firmware with scanning! :)
Bill
Then I'll be able to take out the 2 channels that don't even exist but show up.
;)

TVH said:
Sean,

You had mentioned, "The 85/85 sat signal quality looks like it needs repeak". What does this mean? and yes, the installer installed an 18" dish instead of the larger version. Please explain.

I am approximately 30 miles from the local station broadcast towers. Do you recommend me going ahead and installing the amplifier for the Stealth Antenna? Because I have just returned from vacation, I have not had a full night to watch local HD broadcasts to see if I get signal breakup/ pixelation/or dropped audio. From your experience, is OTA signal quality of 64/65 sufficient to not cause any drop outs and pixalation?

Thanks again,
Tony.

You should be getting above 90 for satellite signal quality. Sure install the amplifier and try.

Bummer!! I got my new FOX mapping, but it tunes in the same channel on both subchannels! Fox sends out a 4:3 vertically stretched (not even anamorphic) picture on 12-1 and the 480p WS on 12-2. I can tune in both channels just fine with my Dish 6000. The Voom box gives me the 4:3 stretched picture on both channels. I just fired off an email to alert them of this. Hopefully the scan feature will be enabled soon.

Zap2it shows the following for my zip 36362:

WDIQDT

WTVYDT

WCOVDT

WGIQDT

My PG only displays 4.1. I've tried several reboots and factory resets but I'm only getting 4.1 back everytime. I had all these channels before with my D* receiver.

Also, is there a signal meter for OTA channels on the VOOM box? I heard of a new update that will allow manual scanning for locals, is it out yet?

wjlane said:
Zap2it shows the following for my zip 36362:

WDIQDT

WTVYDT

WCOVDT

WGIQDT

My PG only displays 4.1. I've tried several reboots and factory resets but I'm only getting 4.1 back everytime. I had all these channels before with my D* receiver.

Also, is there a signal meter for OTA channels on the VOOM box? I heard of a new update that will allow manual scanning for locals, is it out yet?

It is not out yet the manual scanning. Send me an email to Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us with your full address and the problem you describe. I will submit to VOOM.

hey sean!

been a voomer for a couple of weeks now. love it!

i'm having ota mapping problems. i've e-mailed you.
here is the public discourse.

tia

zip code 02747

mapped channels 12.1 12.2 53.1 53.2 53.3 54.4

i recieve 12.1 and 12.2 flawlessly. 53.* i've never heard of and there is not enough signal to pull these in.
this problem is identical to the one described by dtilton earlier in this thread

zapzip channels

2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Wgbh
4.1 wbz
5.1 5.2 wcvb
7.1 7.2 whdh
10.1 wjar
12.1 12.2 wpri
25.1 wfxt
38.1 wsbk
44.1 44.2 44.3 44.4 wgbx
56.1 wlvi
66.1 wutf

I just had my first "Dumb Voom CSR" encounter:

I was missing my second FOX subchannel, which is the 480p WS and Voom finally got a second channel mapped last week, but it is the same 4:3 SD channel as the original, so now I have 2 4:3 SD FOX channels, the box is tuning in the same channel on both subchannels, so I called Voom this morning to report it and got a female CSR. I told her my issue and she tried to tell me that Voom DOES NOT MAP LOCALS to the STB. I explained to her that someone on their end is programming the local channels and hitting the box so it knows what to pickup but she insisted that the box just "knew" what was out there. DOH!!!

We went around and around for about 5 minutes and I finally had to say Good-bye to her, she did not have a clue. She insisted that I needed to be in front of my box so they could do some testing. I tried to tell her that if I lived out in the middle of nowhere and couldn't pick up a signal that my box would still have all the local DMA channels mapped to it even though I couldn't pick them up, yet she insisted that was not the case. Oh well, win some, lose some.

All the emails that I have gotten so far regarding OTA mapping Issues I have sent to VOOM. I was told today that they have added 30 new channels this morning. So it might hit your stb's in tonights download. I also was told that they are keeping adding channels every day.

Update on OTA manual Scanning: It is close and it has been tested in some DMAs. There are more tests to be done but it looks like we may finally get this and everybody will be able to tune to their OTA channels whether channel was mapped or not.

I say to everybody to hold tight; there is light at the end of the tunnel.

pirateofcvdecent said:
hey sean!

been a voomer for a couple of weeks now. love it!

i'm having ota mapping problems. i've e-mailed you.
here is the public discourse.

tia

zip code 02747

mapped channels 12.1 12.2 53.1 53.2 53.3 54.4

i recieve 12.1 and 12.2 flawlessly. 53.* i've never heard of and there is not enough signal to pull these in.
this problem is identical to the one described by dtilton earlier in this thread

zapzip channels

2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Wgbh
4.1 wbz
5.1 5.2 wcvb
7.1 7.2 whdh
10.1 wjar
12.1 12.2 wpri
25.1 wfxt
38.1 wsbk
44.1 44.2 44.3 44.4 wgbx
56.1 wlvi
66.1 wutf

I am in the same area. (02889) and I have the same channels mapped with the same results. I have a DTV E86 that receives 5-1,5-2,10-1,12-1,12-2,20-1,20-2 and just recently 49-1. Wish Voom would get on the ball.

johnewhite said:
Progress! Another OTA channel was just added to my PG. That now makes a total of 2. Only 5 more to go. Thanks Sean, Wilt, and Peter.

Edit: Have: 8-1 and 46-1
Have Not: 11-1, 11-2, 35-1, 36-1, 48-1

35.1 added

Las Vegas Complete!!!

Last night, VOOM added three digital channels, bringing the total to 11 in the Las Vegas Market...ALL DIGITAL CHANNELS ARE NOW WORKING, INCLUDING BOTH SUBCHANNELS (10.2 (PBS) and 13.2 (ABC) AND IN THE PROGRAM GUIDE.

We are fortunate that all of the stations are clustered on the same mountain near Henderson (Southeast LV Valley)

Sound levels are crappy on some of these...I think it is the stations fault..

Way to go, VOOM!!!!

Question about OTA programming/mapping

Had VOOM installed last Thursday----everything went great and everything is working fine----except, maybe, my OTA channels.

Questions:

When referring to the internet program guide at VOOM's website, OTA channels listed there for my zip code (70518) are as follows:

2.2 WBRZDT This station is in Baton Rouge and is 47.7 miles away
3.1 KATCDT This station is in Lafayette and is 8.4 miles away
5.1 KALBDT This station is in Alexandria and is 70.2 miles away
10.1 KLFYDT This station is in Lafayette and is 23.1 miles away
24.1 KLPBDT This station is in Lafayette and is 23.1 miles away
24.2 KLPBDT2 Same as above
24.3 KLPBDT3 Same as above
33.1 WVLADT This station is in Baton Rouge and is 46.2 miles away

Of the above channels, the ones that appear on the STB's guide, and are being recieved with no problems are:

3.1 KATCDT
10.1 KLFYDT
24.1 KLPBDT
24.2 KLPBDT2
24.3 KLPBDT3

These do not appear in the STB's guide:

2.2 WBRZDT
5.1 KALBDT
33.1 WVLADT

Should these latter 3 appear in the STB's guide? Or will they show up only if the antenna is capable of pulling them in? (These latter 3 are probably out of the range of the OTA antenna's capability; the antenna that was sent is a Winegard Sensar II Model GS 2000A). If I had an antenna capable of pulling them in, how would the STB "know"? Would they then just "appear" in the STB's guide (or map)? Or, does the box have to be re-booted or factory reset to get them to show up once a signal is recieved? (I have not been able to find a channel seek function or any way to add them in maually). Also, is the STB capable of receiving analog signals? There is a "terrestrial" input in the back of the box which should enable this function, but, here again, no way that I can see to force the box to seek and display these signals. (I have many analog stations available to my location well within the capabilies of the Winegard).

Someone please educate me--and thanks for your answers

Ferdy

The over the air channels that you are missing need to be mapped by Voom in order for them to show up in your Voom program guide.

With that said I would not worry about this as in the next few weeks Voom should be releasing a new update to the Voom STB that will allow you to scan for all your locals thus letting you receive all the locals your anntena is capable of picking up. The only other alternative is to let Scott or one of the admins here know your adderess, zip, etc. however I think since Voom is working hard on the new scanning feature you will probably get this before they map the locals you are missing.

Bill

Anyone else having problems with the PG content not matching the programming on PBS OTA channels? I'm in MA.

Also, as a follow up to my last post, does VOOM "guarantee" that you will receive the listed channels in the STB's PG? I have read other posts/threads referring to the fact that VOOM has sent out upgrade antennaes to rectify these situations.

Thanks again

Ferdy said:
Also, as a follow up to my last post, does VOOM "guarantee" that you will receive the listed channels in the STB's PG? I have read other posts/threads referring to the fact that VOOM has sent out upgrade antennaes to rectify these situations.

Thanks again

Depending how far anntena.org says you are from the signal will will upgrade to whatever anntena will get yuou your locals. I was upgraded from the stealth to the Winegard 7084HD because I live 50 miles from the signal and now I get all my locals.

Bill

Am I really supposed to have all those channels in my guide listed at Zap2it? I probably don't even have half of those?

OTA antenna test

My curiousity finally got the best of me, so today I tried a little experiment to test the capabilities of the Winegard Sensar II that VOOM sent with the installers.

I wanted to see how many ANALOG stations the Winegard could pull in----and the only way of doing this was to take the input from the VOOM STB's 8VSB module and plug it directly into the ANT/Coax connection in the back of my set (using the OTA antenna in place of my cable connection----I only have a single coax input to the set) and use the set's tuner to bring in the OTA signals.

I was shocked with the results. The PQ was so poor that it's almost unbelievable that the antenna can bring in the digital OTA signals (but it does, and is doing it quite well for my mapped OTA channels). What gives here? I certainly don't believe the antenna is optimized for digital reception--- bearing that in mind, I expected the analog results to be superior.

Anyway, input is welcomed--

Ferdy

Just noticed something may be wrong

As soon as I finished my last post, I decided to do a little research about the diplexor and the 8SVB module---reading from the VOOM STB FAQ: Video/Audio Hookup section of the forum, it states:

" In a diplexer setup these two connectors are combined in one with a small square-shaped snap-on diplexer module, and there is only one coax cable for both dish and OTA antenna."

This is certainly not the case with my hookup---the satellite feed comes in from the wall, is split with a conventional splitter, and SEPERATE feeds of coax are going to the 8SVB module and the SAT INPUT connectors.

Is this not correct? Maybe this is why I got such a poor signal reception in my analog antenna test----the OTA antenna may not be getting powered?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts