VOOM PVR/DVR Release Soon... Echostar/Rainbow information coming soon as well (???)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is there anything that would prohibit VOOM from getting access to the RSN's up on Dish Network?

I have both Dish and Voom.

I sure hope that if this merger rumor is true, that we can keep our Voom stb.

Although the resolution/clarity is about the same, my Dish stb has a much more washed out picture than my Voom stb, and this is with 2 different video displays (a rptv and a front projector).

The Voom picture is much more vibrant with saturated colors. I have to turn down the tv's color setting with Voom, and increase the color and decrease the brightness with Dish to get good pictures. I much prefer the picture from the Voom stb.

Shelly

Scott Greczkowski said:
Actually Dish is working on MPEG 4 support. I have heard some backround of it and it sounds promising
I'm glad to hear that. I wonder how would they upgrade the STB's. Do the 922/921 have an upgrade slot (like V*)?

There will probably be new boxes. The 811 is almost fixed, and when it's working is when it'll be discontinued...

I also have both V* and E*, so i don't see how I can loose if this merger or acquisition goes through. Either way I get the same HD content I have now plus the HD-Net's and will only have to pay one bill instead of two. Plus we would get instant access to a HD DVR. Win Win.
If E* is smart they will consolidate the Voom exclusives into like 10 channels. Including KungFu HD :yes

But after all, this can all be one big rumor.

Walter L. said:
I'm glad to hear that. I wonder how would they upgrade the STB's. Do the 922/921 have an upgrade slot (like V*)?
Actually what I am hearing is there will be a device which plugs into your switch or LNB's which can covert the signal on the transponder from MPEG4 into a format which is usuable on your existing Dish Network receivers (ala 8PSK) this way no new receivers or receiver hardware upgrades are needed.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Actually what I am hearing is there will be a device which plugs into your switch or LNB's which can covert the signal on the transponder from MPEG4 into a format which is usuable on your existing Dish Network receivers (ala 8PSK) this way no new receivers or receiver hardware upgrades are needed.
Wow!!! Such device would have to demodulate the signal, decode H.264/WM9, encoded it into something like MPEG-2, and then re-modulate it. I would guess that such device maybe as expensive as a new STB :D

At this point, I hope we just hear something soon before the rumor grows too big and no announcement will be able to live up to the hype.

From what I am hearing they have it working. How much it costs I don't know,, but knowing Dish I am sure it will require a one year commitment plus $99 for the MPEG4 decoder. :D

Yes it is all a rumor so far.

Like I said....I really hope to hear something soon....because this "rumor" is causing me to check this forum like every 20 minutes for new info now.

For me this needs to happen before Xmas or I will pass. A release date later than that makes me concerned that my major investment into this service may go belly up. If VOOM wants to have a chance at 200K subscribers by the end of 2005 this is a must now to further drive the market for that year!

C'mon VOOM, I am rooting for you! :cool:

I dont think this will go through by the end of the year, I would say it will be announced before the then of the year, but to get it done would be impossible, if it is a buyout of VOOM by Dish it needs to go through antitrust and SEC stuff which as you know takes a long time.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I dont think this will go through by the end of the year, I would say it will be announced before the then of the year, but to get it done would be impossible, if it is a buyout of VOOM by Dish it needs to go through antitrust and SEC stuff which as you know takes a long time.

Are you saying the transaction or the upgrades?
If the rumor of merger is true, then the DVR is stalled?

Yeah, I'd like to know that as well. I'll be more than happy to wait on details of the merger if the DVR still comes out in the next couple weeks. I know right now...I have one half day of vacation time that is just waiting to be used for a DVR installation.

Crap, it took over a year for Dish to get turned down over the D* deal, how many of us held our breath over that one? They need to announce something before January because I am not going to continue the Voom service with the price increase as they exist today, I don't feel it's worth it, JMHO.

Downside to the merger?

This "merger with Dish"... if the rumor is true, and if it happens... Isn't anybody here besides me concerned about a down side?

I am not crazy about Dish. I fear that Dish might not let Voom remain as the Voom we know and love. :shocked :shocked

Am I the only skeptical/paranoid Voom fan here? Every post in this thread has been very supportive of a merger. (Or did I miss something?)

Sorry, I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade.

Thaat's what I think will happen. Everyone thinks a happy merger will take place but I think that dish is only interested in the technical property: the satellite and transponders. Voom will be dead and it will be up to the customers to decide what they do...

Today VOOM is the HD leader. A merger (if it ever happens, but we are speculating here anyway...) could make E* an HD leader overnight. That's what I think should be most attractive for E*. To maintain such HD leadership, E* would need VOOM's exclusive channels. It would be hard to do that without them. And for Rainbow Media this would be a way to get access to a huge customer base... a win-win proposition from the business stand-point, so why not?

Maybe instead of a merger there will be a partnership with Voom and the hd channels will be sold to Dish for a fee or Dish will invest in Voom and supply the sd channels to Voom and then you won't need a buyout or merger agreement. Partnerships like that don't need any approval from the government do they? How did Sirius radio channels get on Dish so quickly without any government approval? A partnership. Charlie has said before he was thinking of licensing Voom hd content. Maybe then you could still have Voom as a standalone company and Dish can get the hd content for a fee or investment in Voom. OF course I am speculating but I can't see Charlie waiting a year for government approval all over again like the failed merger with Directv. He needs hd content NOW! Otherwise Directv could get ahead of Dish very quickly . A partnership could be whipped up very quickly with both parties and everyone could win.

Any thoughts on this idea Scott?

MikeD-C05 said:
Maybe instead of a merger there will be a partnership with Voom and the hd channels will be sold to Dish for a fee or Dish will invest in Voom and supply the sd channels to Voom and then you won't need a buyout or merger agreement.
Don't you think this would kill VOOM as a satellite service provider? Why would anyone go with VOOM if the same channels were available on E*?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts