Voom to disable OTA tuner in STB?

Indy said:
Oh... incidently I did insure the leased car.

You agreed to it in the car lease. It may even be a law in your state. Again I never agreed to insure their property or pay to return it for that matter.

ptech said:
I don't need to label you anything, you do a damn good job of labeling yourself all over the forums.

Do you have anything constructive or factual to add to the topic?

Anything indicating why existing subscribers should bear the cost of returning Voom recievers? Other than some silly credit report threat.

vurbano said:
Do you have anything constructive or factual to add to the topic?

Anything indicating why existing subscribers should bear the cost of returning Voom recievers? Other than some silly credit report threat.

We have all wondered this about you for a long time and have yet to see the day you actually make any sense. Have you received a letter telling you to return you STB and pay for all shipping costs. Vurbano, you really need life and I find it hard that a Engineer could possibly think the way you do. or is that the fancy title they gave you?

vurbano said:
You agreed to it in the car lease. It may even be a law in your state. Again I never agreed to insure their property or pay to return it for that matter.

Vurbano, get a life and some responsibility. I hereby move you to group 4. Enjoy! :rolleyes:

Back on topic! ;)

CPanther95 said:
Just to clarify -

The reports we received are relating to early terminations and do not necessarily indicate any plans by Voom to disable the OTA tuner for all STBs or even all leased STBs when they shut down.

The primary caution is simply this: If you cancel prior to 4/30 (or anytime prior to the actual shutdown) it would be prudent, based on these recent reports, to disconnect the satellite coax prior to calling Voom to cancel.

As far as the disposition of the boxes after shut down, it is unknown what Voom intends to do, if anything, with the boxes in the field. Whether they will collect leased boxes or not - whether they would attempt to send a kill signal or not (for the OTA tuner) - is all speculation at this point.

My opinion, and only my opinion, is if I still had Voom - I would not cancel my account, but I would disconnect the satellite coax sometime prior to 4/30 simply to be safe (the only downside being the loss of a day's programming). The upside of a functioning OTA tuner that I may be able to keep, more than offsets that - again IMO. This is assuming we do not get definitive word from Voom as to what their intentions are prior to 4/30.
What CPanther95 wrote about early cancellations makes sense. Complete deactivation of the box was (and evidently still is) the standard procedure for early terminations. So, if you cancel early, disconnecting from the dish might be a good idea.

For those of us who are staying till the end, however, there seem to be no need to unplug the box. There is still no official word on this, but unofficially I was told once again that there are currently no plans (and no obvious reason) to send the Kill signal to all 40,000+ subscribers on April 30. I'll let you know if I hear anything else, but for now, this is what I was told by VOOM engineers.

Stuart-B said:
Can you add a group that believes Voom should pick their equipment up--box and dish--and repair the holes they leave though the customer's external wall, as they decided to close the business?

This is the group I fall in. :)

I leased a car in 1999. In 2002, at the end of the lease, the company called me up and arranged a pickup time at my house.
I don't understand what ANY of that has to do with VOOM...so I guess I'm saying it's a lousy analogy, imho :)

That being said, I don't feel that I have any "claim" to VOOM's property, but I don't believe that I have any kind of responsibility to do the "right" thing by spending my time to help out whatever company is handling the disposition. Stop trying to make it sound like I'm somehow being immoral or unethical for requesting that they arrange to pick up their property, and patch my roof.
Nobody knows how this is going to play out, but looking at it the other way, some of you folks seem to feel that it's perfectly alright for a company that's going out of business to say "Hi. We'd like you to take your time and effort to pack up JUST the equipment that we feel may have value to US. Yes, we realize you're pretty much stuck with the rest of the stuff, such as the dish, the mounting holes, etc., but we really have no interest in any of that stuff as it represents no $$$ to us."

How about THEM doing the "right" thing? "Hi. We're sorry we're going out of business after you have paid us money each month for however long you were a customer. If you'd like to keep the dish, we can send you boxes and you can pack the receivers in them and they will be picked up by UPS. If you'd like to have the dish removed, we will send an qualified technician to your house and they will pack the boxes and remove the dish. Thank you for being a VOOM customer and supporting us in our attempt to become a viable business."

:)

Is there a group for that? ;)

Lob

Stuart-B said:
Can you add a group that believes Voom should pick their equipment up--box and dish--and repair the holes they leave though the customer's external wall, as they decided to close the business?

You can add me to this group as well. I think it's only fair that Cablevision foot the bill for removing our dishes and patching up the holes.

Cablevision can not hide behind a dead and rotting voOm, they must treat their customers responsibly. Had voOm been a separate company that went bankrupt, I could understand if they were not able to do this. However, when Cablevision executives made the decision to yank the rug out from under voOm they should have thought about the ALL the expenses that would be involved. Frankly, I hope that it costs the greedy fools at Cablevision up the wazoo to de-install all of voOm's customers.

Upon receiving a notice on how to return their STBs, I will contact them and let them know that I will require a full de-install. I say the more of us that demand a full de-installation: removal of dish, local pickup of STBs and patching of holes, the better.

txdude said:
You can add me to this group as well. I think it's only fair that Cablevision foot the bill for removing our dishes and patching up the holes.

Cablevision can not hide behind a dead and rotting voOm, they must treat their customers responsibly. Had voOm been a separate company that went bankrupt, I could understand if they we not able to do this. However, when Cablevision executives made the decision to yank the rug out from under voOm they should have thought about the ALL the expenses that would be involved. Frankly, I hope that it costs the greedy fools at Cablevision up the wazoo to de-install all of voOm's customers.

Upon receiving a notice on how to return their STBs, I will contact them and let them know that I will require a full de-install. I say the more of us that demand a full de-installation: removal of dish, local pickup of STBs and patching of holes, the better.

I agree. I dont think the Voom subs should be funding Cablevisions shutdown costs.

Cable(double)vision should pay for deinstall

txdude said:

Cablevision can not hide behind a dead and rotting voOm, they must treat their customers responsibly. Had voOm been a separate company that went bankrupt, I could understand if they we not able to do this. Quote]

Very good point. I am willing to put the 3 STBs into prepaid boxes for UPS pickup. I am not worried about the dish mounting (I would need a 30ft ladder to see them). Who knows ,if Dish or Directv ever get their HD act together, they can put their dish in the exact same spot. But if the dish mounting was in plain view, I would expect Cablevision (not Voom) to foot the patch-up or deinstallation. So I guess I am in 2 groups (at least). I am not mad at Voom. And I am only mad at Cablevision by setting Voom up for final failure by selling the satellite. So let them pay the expense of deinstallation!
Wayne

I am not mr. satellite technology man. But I have 2 receivers, so can i just disconnect one in the hopes that OTA works later on the other? Do they actually send a signal that zaps the box?

When I cancelled my Dish Network service, they didn't ask for anything to be returned. They said that I could keep the PVR receiver. I could even give it to another Dish coustomer if I wanted. The issue of taking the dish didn't come up. I wonder if they would come out and remove the dish?

What the heck is everybody fighting about? :confused: :confused: As far as I know, no one has asked for any equipment back from the customers.

If they do ask for it back, and they send a prepaid mailer, I'll call UPS, FedEx, or whoever to pick it up and send it back. If they don't send a prepaid mailer...it'll be S.O.L., as I agree with Vurbano that the time and money expenditure is not gonna be on me...let Cablevision foot that bill.

When I disconnected last summer, they sent someone to pick up the STBs. The de-installer was ready to take the dish and antenna, but when I told him if he wanted to, I would expect him to pay for any further repair costs on my roof, he decided he didn't really need to take them.

Why not just chill out until we know whether we have something to holler about? :confused: Vicki

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)