Voom vs. Direct sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
InSync said:
I tried the red button and am definately on 1081i. However, it looks better in 720p. When I do the resolution test in 1081i the chart is going nuts on the screen and jumping around with static. I think you are right and I do have a bad box.

If you're talking about the 1080 test image from the box's service menu (the 988 menu), mine does the same thing. The 1080i image jumps all around and flickers like crazy. I don't know that this is a problem with the box in general or just a problem with this particular feature. My PQ seems ok though.
Can anyone else try this and see if the 1080i test pattern jumps all around for them too?

lostcause said:
If you're talking about the 1080 test image from the box's service menu (the 988 menu), mine does the same thing. The 1080i image jumps all around and flickers like crazy. I don't know that this is a problem with the box in general or just a problem with this particular feature. My PQ seems ok though.
Can anyone else try this and see if the 1080i test pattern jumps all around for them too?
Mine does the same thing all the time. But this seems to be channel-specific. The test pattern displayed while on an SD channel seem to be more stable. Here is how to make the test patter work:
1. Make sure you are in 1080i fixed mode. (The pattern is for 1080 only, in other modes you will only see a portion of it).
2. Switch to an SD channel like CNN (don't ask me why). Don't worry, the picture is still 1080i.
3. Try the HD Audio & Video Test now.
I believe this is just a problem with this test-pattern generator itself. Nothing else jumps around in the same way ;)

Everyone around here knows I criticize voom all of the time. But when I stop and think of all the things that could be wrong, and a new user comes online here and creates a "voom sucks " thread as opposed to "whats wrong?" and in that thread posts his very first post ever on satguys about how bad voom is compared to the bandwidth starved, anemic HD offerings of D* (yes I am a former D* HD customer and saw pixelation and a fair share of green faces) ........ well, Im glad others can stay subjective.

BTW how does one up their HD service on D*?

gutter said:
I can compare the PQ generally to the local HD OTA;s and there is no comparison.
Do you have any idea what bitrate a non multicasting OTA HD uses? The only station I would ever compare to CBS HD OTA is HDnet and even that falls short. Its usually 16mbps on most sat services. OTA HD can be over 19mbps. Of course their is no comparison. When a sat service can do that , Im there.

InSync said:
I tried the red button and am definately on 1081i. However, it looks better in 720p.

Perhaps 720p is the native resolution of your Pioneer? I don't know, I'm just asking. That could explain the picture looking better with the VOOM box on 720. (Maybe the MOTO downconverts the signal to 720 better than the Pioneer does?)

You're right, Vurbano. Pretty brutal first post... :confused:

I dunno....seems to me that being such an audio/video phile, you should know how to rectify your troubles - solutions come with the program of being a 'phile' of anything.
Looks to me that your only solution is to kill yourself.
At least it won't matter anymore.

BTW, I have had Voom instead of D* for the last six months and have had ZERO problems except for the slow navigation that was fixed with a software update.
Dems Da Breaks I guess.....

Seawaves said:
How about us who hate the politics of Murdoch and Fox? PQ is a distant second to freedom of speech. Fox+Bush=Less Rights for Americans.

Go Voom!

Good God! Looks like Michael Moore has annointed you as another one of his 'useful idiots'!
Enjoy that disease you call a life. Then remmeber to keep your anti-American political B.S. out of this forum!

In the meantime, go here, apply the technology and save yourself!
HURRY!! Before it is too late!

TechCop said:
Perhaps 720p is the native resolution of your Pioneer? I don't know, I'm just asking. That could explain the picture looking better with the VOOM box on 720. (Maybe the MOTO downconverts the signal to 720 better than the Pioneer does?)
I think InSync was talking about the test-pattern generator, which indeed looks better (doesn't jump!) in 720p. Again, the test pattern is generated within the STB itself, and it has nothing to do at all with VOOM PQ, video decoding etc.

You're right, maybe a pretty brutal first post but, I never got into the other part of the Voom experience ie. sales and installation that could be a couple of chapters and raise my blood pressure through the roof. When the Voom installer said "isn't that a great picture" and my son and I both chined "no" there should have been something done right then and there. The numerous phone calls to the installer that missed his appointments. The box freezing. The box flashing. The channels numbers that change but the picture stays on the old channel. The twenty minutes waiting for the Voom service rep to answer the phone. The Voom computer ordering system being down and several other horrific experiences. I skipped all of that but, maybe now you get the "picture" all puns intended.
All that I want is the picture that I know my Pioneer can and has delivered previously with D* and has not with Voom. You guys keep saying that V* is better and I hope it is and I will keep trying --for a while. I am using this forum as a sounding board to get all of the info I can because I am the only person in this area who has V* and have nothing to compare it to. I think that if maybe you didn't have others to compare it to you may well have the same reaction, maybe not. I apologize if I have offended anyone, it was not my intention. Voom promised and hasn't delivered and I am looking for the very difficult to find answers. The internet forum is a good one but, because of all the missing nuances of the spoken word it often misses some things and clarifies others. My first post was out of frustration.

kschorz said:
Good God! Looks like Michael Moore has annointed you as another one of his 'useful idiots'!
Enjoy that disease you call a life. Then remmeber to keep your anti-American political B.S. out of this forum!

In the meantime, go here, apply the technology and save yourself!
HURRY!! Before it is too late!

The only thing anti-american thing here-is people like you telling me what to say. Shove it.

Insync, Your experiences were simular to mine. I really don't blame VOOM itself that much, but installs inc. seems to be the culprit. I really think VOOM can cut all these problems in the bud by using a different company to install their product. To give a example, I had D* install a new 3LNB dish, two set boxes. Their installer was absolutley wonderful. Grounded my system, took his time, stayed for a half hour afterwards to make sure everything was fine after installation. His wiring job was first rate.

Then I decided that i wanted VOOM as well the following month. The first VOOM installer did not peak the dish properly, did not ground the system, and told me that he was going to leave the wiring as is, so as"when you decide to cancel, it will be easier to take down" I also found out that he had previous installs that he had done, I was the last stop, and confirmed that he had given me a STB that did not work on one of his previous installs he had earlier that day. No DVI cable as well. I called VOOM, it took them a two week period to reschedule a install. I wrote Wilt, and he took care of what was needed to get me up and running on his end. The second Installs Inc. installer arrives, sees what was done, and stated to me that he was not getting paid for a reinstall, but a recheck. He refuses to do the job, untill i get his supervisor on the phone. He then proceeds to tell me that He doesn't want to give me the new STB, that it was not part of the original problem. Here I go making another call to his supervisor. He then sees that I have D* as well, and proceeds to offer me a "hot card" for D*. Just utterly amazing. I think VOOM as company should cut the beeding, and get rid of Installs Inc. By reading the boards, I bet 90% of all the problems people are having with VOOM are just lousy installers.

The set is HDCP enabled and it has 1080i native and is set that way. It also has "pure digital" mode so that it does not change the signal in any way. It has to be a bad box. Also, I used the DVI cable that came with the box and also the $100 DVI monster cable with no change.

InSync said:
The set is HDCP enabled and it has 1080i native and is set that way. It also has "pure digital" mode so that it does not change the signal in any way. It has to be a bad box. Also, I used the DVI cable that came with the box and also the $100 DVI monster cable with no change.

You may want to give the component cable a try.

The picture has a "haloing" effect and has the quality of our video editing decks have the Y-DNR and C-DNR turned up to +2 which causes a loss of detail while eliminating noise.

Tried the component cable which is better but, still not great. Tried several component cables-we have plenty of the good ones laying around so I swapped them out just to be sure.

The movie "Catch Me if You Can" is playing on HBOHD right now and I own that DVD. I switched between the two and the DVD wins hands down. I think all will agree that shouldn't be the way it should happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts