Voom vs. Direct sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
gutter said:
I agree and that is what VOOM should strive for or the equal of it in WM9. Why shoudl we accept less? I put back my old STB for OTA instead of viewing the same digital local on VOOM. Why should I accept less? And yes, I do know the bitmap bandwith. Now you see my point.
We accept less because NO ONE gives you 19 mbps on Sat. AND No sat service is gonna give you 19 mbps HD under mpeg2. I am hoping for something like a 17mbps equivalent under wm9 but who knows. Im not sure why you use your old STB for OTA, I dont see any difference with my OTA on my hughes e86 and the V* moto unless its the stretching capability or the fact that voom doesnt manual scan yet. If you understand OTA bitrates and the bitrates V*, E* and D* uses (12mbps avg with maybe 16 on hdnet) then why are you making this ridiculous comparision? Again, go find a service that gives you 19 mbps mpeg2 with 37 HD channels and I will sign up right behind you.

slacker9876 said:
LOL, you smart-ass! This was the exact reason I tried Voom! As you probably read I am back in bed with D* and their limited HD offering, PQ is those most important thing to lots of us.

In reality if you compare interesting content I have just as much HD with D* as I did with V*, it's called OTA and the occasional Discovery Theatre show.

Still wish D* would get on the stick ... I don't need E&W feeds just a friggin HD for the main movie channels.
hows that cinemaxHD content lookin? LMAO

AS far as interesting content, I recall D* HD. coming home from work, turning on the set flippin through , what its starts at 73 or something?, those 6 channels and getting pissed because discoveryhd was a repeat, espnhd was sd, hdnet was a rerun as well, hdnetmovies well thats just old, and only one choice. SHowtime HD and HBO HD was only 2 channels and often id seen those movies. ANd i paid 11+12+11 = 34 bucks EXTRA for THIS? PLease, you have a much better chance of finding something on 37 HD channels. Dont get me wrong, with a 1000 dollar HD DVR that im certainly not forking out my money for, and D* future HD additions it might be a draw, but as I am not in an O&O i wont get most of the new channels like foxhd or other distant HD network feeds like cbshd east and west.

PS. Im glad someone understood the Starz dig.

rkr0923 said:
I agree.........Dtv just don't get it done!
I think Voom needs to realize that a lot of us may defect to D* if they add a meaningful amount of HD that people not in an O&O can get. SO Wm9 had better be a PQ improvement measure to end the complaining. I am worried, Wilt seems to act like everything is perfect. I realize it isnt. he should too. I have heard NOTHING from voom about PQ improvement, only more HD channel capacity!

Sean, just a thought but why not evaluate the PQ for those on that live on the west coast vs those that live on the east coast. Maybe you could see how location affects the reception, isnt the signal weaker in the west? Just not sure how you would gather the data. Maybe too big of a task.

D* immediately takes the lead when ST kicks off and brings 65+ HD games a week. Now that's compelling content!

The West/East will be too difficult of a task to evaluate. I do not want to do that. Wilt is a good evaluator of things as long as you are very specific about what the issue at hand is.

The attitude of generalizing issues (whether PQ or anything else) is not productive and leads to more post and no conclusion. Take for example this thread. A lot of posts and yet no conclusion as to how describe the issue or problem at hand. The premise with these PQ threads always something like "All VOOM channels...." instead of asking is channel zzz looking bad today? Do you see this or this? There is always a generalization and most of these threads go nowhere. Just one example of a good PQ evaluation is the Equator-HD thread and the "mosquito" noise issue. The issue at hand was clear and cut to the point and was sent to Wilt. Everybody agreed on this one.

cyuhnke said:
D* immediately takes the lead when ST kicks off and brings 65+ HD games a week. Now that's compelling content!

Not trying to disagree with you but personally ST is not my cup of tea. I am very satisfied with watching my regular weekend Football HD game on my local CBS or Fox. I am not drawn to this. Not saying that others are not but I will not give up variety over ST.

cyuhnke said:
yeah but only for 8 hours or so 16 out of 365 days a year? The rest of the time they suck hind T$T

I was just posting from my own perspective. YMMV. I don't have D*, and don't plan on getting it. I will not give them $300 for a HD receiver, nor will I spend $200 for ST since the Texans won't be within 300 miles of an HD camera all year. I should have said D* will take the lead in HD sports. But I guess a few cable customers might dispute that.

Sean Mota said:
The West/East will be too difficult of a task to evaluate. I do not want to do that. Wilt is a good evaluator of things as long as you are very specific about what the issue at hand is.

The attitude of generalizing issues (whether PQ or anything else) is not productive and leads to more post and no conclusion. Take for example this thread. A lot of posts and yet no conclusion as to how describe the issue or problem at hand. The premise with these PQ threads always something like "All VOOM channels...." instead of asking is channel zzz looking bad today? Do you see this or this? There is always a generalization and most of these threads go nowhere. Just one example of a good PQ evaluation is the Equator-HD thread and the "mosquito" noise issue. The issue at hand was clear and cut to the point and was sent to Wilt. Everybody agreed on this one.

Sean,

I'm on the west coast but I think you know that (Gagne 84 and counting) and while it is a general comment to say all Voom PQ is worse in the last two weeks-My HD channels (why I have Voom) look much worse.

HBOHD last night had pitiful PQ. Even the SD channels are hit and miss.I'm starting to feel a lot less happy with Voom. If my STB were a toaster-we'd being going to return it right now!

Sean Mota said:

I haven't been all that active in the PQ threads, but I have brought up some issues with ESPN that neither Wilt or the "Special Q & A Guest" have answered. I agree though that all critisism should be as precise as possible. But it is frustrating not to have any feedback. Of course E* and D* never give feedback, whereas Wilt has in the past been very helpful.

Just got back from shootin' my video gig. An interesting thing happened. I was at my clients 'enormous" house checking locations out when I came into his video room. I mentioned his Sony big screen tv and noticed that he had the same Sony HD receiver as mine for D*. He proudly acknowledged that this "was one of the best systems Best Buy offers" I asked if I could see his HD picture and he enthusiastically turns the set on to a HD channel and torts "isn't that a great HD picture" It was horrible! I didn't have the heart to tell him. It just goes back to my original thought that many people who are defending the Voom quality may not really know a good picture. Granted this was D* but, in his mind he just knew this was the best because that is what the salesman told him. Video is my profession and I look for the small things. When my sound gaffer came by and saw my Pioneer today before going out on our shoot he asked what happened to the great HD picture on my set. I said "Oh, that's my new Voom!" He asked "Why"

InSync said:
It just goes back to my original thought that many people who are defending the Voom quality may not really know a good picture.

Excuse me! Video may not be the profession of a lot of people here in this forum and others forum but a lot of us know what's the difference. We do not need to have degrees to know. Neither we are trying to say that we know it all either.

A lot of us know have invested quite a bit of time of "knowing" HD quality when we see HD quality. Just because you are a professional on video does not make you the "God determinant" of what is and what is not HD quality. Sorry to come strong but your statement is a very arrogant and offensive statement. Please get your box change so that you can't get rid of the video noise and pixelation that you saw before. I am not seeing this.

cyuhnke said:
I was just posting from my own perspective. YMMV. I don't have D*, and don't plan on getting it. I will not give them $300 for a HD receiver, nor will I spend $200 for ST since the Texans won't be within 300 miles of an HD camera all year. I should have said D* will take the lead in HD sports. But I guess a few cable customers might dispute that.
You may know already, but D* is giving credits to a lot of people. My HTL-HD receiver cost me about $48 in the end.

The point of NFL ST is so you can watch Houston in Miami, not in Miami in HD :p This year with the FOX games I imagine there will be plenty of HD.

We have the ST because of fantasy football, well, and if you have noticed the "off" game you get in any given market seems to be the game you care the least about. for our use it is a pretty good value.

CenterICE on the other hand has been cancelled. It is my way of letting Gary Bettman know I think he is a jackass. Man I HATE that guy. Marquee match ups are on ESPN anyway.

slacker9876 said:
You may know already, but D* is giving credits to a lot of people. My HTL-HD receiver cost me about $48 in the end.

The point of NFL ST is so you can watch Houston in Miami, not in Miami in HD :p This year with the FOX games I imagine there will be plenty of HD.

We have the ST because of fantasy football, well, and if you have noticed the "off" game you get in any given market seems to be the game you care the least about. for our use it is a pretty good value.

CenterICE on the other hand has been cancelled. It is my way of letting Gary Bettman know I think he is a jackass. Man I HATE that guy. Marquee match ups are on ESPN anyway.
I have had rommates who had ST before, but I've never actually bought it b/c I already can half of the Texans games OTA. I would consider paying for ST if some of those missing games might be available in HD. As for FF, you kids today don't know what it was like before the internet. :) You used to have to add up the scores from Monday's box scores in the newspaper :eek:

To make a point on topic, I also don't see how PQ on D* is so much better. The numbers (from a link from a post the q & a guy made on AVS) say they actually do the most compression. But I've never looked long enough to have a personal opinion.

I can speak of both.........after being with Dtv for 4 years and Voom for 1 month, I dropped Dtv. Voom HD is much much better than Dtv HD. With 3 HD channels on Dtv for 11.00 a month........it was a no brainier. The SD PQ are about the same on both.

cyuhnke said:
I wish D* would let you chose a team and stay with that one team all season and a drastically reduced price. Most are not fantasy football people and just want to see their favorite team play. But its all too much money IMO. And if you want to take full advantage of it you need a 1000 dollar HD dvr. screw that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts