When was Sirius/XM Better?!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

When was Sirius / XM better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would say Sirius is about the same but XM was much better(pre merger)..better play lists,better stations,better personalities ( The MTV crowd is WAY overblown)

From the perspective of an XM sub XM was better pre merger. after the merger they made Xm more Sirius like with smaller playlists, DJs etc.(I wouldn't say we had BETTER personalities as much as I would say we had fewer).

but I remember the polls we had here a few years back and most voted for Sirius down the line even for things like Classic radio that were essentially the same on the two services ("SIRI is just better" was the common reply) I assume that the Sirius crowd is less upset because the channels that survived are much more like what Sirisu had.

I would say Sirius is about the same but XM was much better(pre merger)..better play lists,better stations,better personalities ( The MTV crowd is WAY overblown)
Yep. Sirius ruined XM. Since the merger ground repeaters have been removed making for worse reception, the music library has greatly diminished, the old XM rock stations were replaced by the worst Sirius Rock stations, the on-line station began to charge (used to be free with XM subscription), the on-line UI went from OK to darn right awful, they added DJs to the stations (no DJs on the XM stations), and the quality of the radios have gone downhill. The only thing keeping me with them is baseball

From the perspective of an XM sub XM was better pre merger. after the merger they made Xm more Sirius like with smaller playlists, DJs etc.(I wouldn't say we had BETTER personalities as much as I would say we had fewer).

but I remember the polls we had here a few years back and most voted for Sirius down the line even for things like Classic radio that were essentially the same on the two services ("SIRI is just better" was the common reply) I assume that the Sirius crowd is less upset because the channels that survived are much more like what Sirisu had.
I have no idea why anyone would think Sirius was better than XM unless they had specific things they liked that XM did not offer (some sports, a few stations that the other did not offer, and Stern). Other than that, the music stations with XM always had a larger library, no DJs, better reception, and more variety, and they gave you more for less (Sirius always charged for their on-line access where it was always free with XM for XM subs)

This is why I hope Dish and Direct never merge. Although they are more similar than different, each one still has something the other does not, giving people more options. In the event of a merger they will remove some of those differences, thus giving us fewer options and making more people upset. I want to see both Dish and Direct succeed and grow independently, just as I wish both Sirius and XM would have done

before, sirius was great, seems like it got watered down after the merger, and greedier
started charging for streaming, raised primary and secondary device price.
my cost for 2 accounts plus 1 streaming doubled, i dropped it

I have no idea why anyone would think Sirius was better than XM unless they had specific things they liked that XM did not offer (some sports, a few stations that the other did not offer, and Stern). Other than that, the music stations with XM always had a larger library, no DJs, better reception, and more variety, and they gave you more for less (Sirius always charged for their on-line access where it was always free with XM for XM subs)

Just about every poll resulted in a lopsided Sirius win. I think we could have asked which service had better picture quality and several of the Sirius fan boys would have voted for their service. there were a total of 15 polls. Sirius won 11 of them. there were two two way ties, on THREE WAY TIE (Don't know got an many votes as each service) and XM got the nod for the best Decades channels.

Last edited:
Geronimo said:
Just about every poll resulted in a lopsided Sirius win. I think we could ahve asked which service had better picture quality and several of the Sirius fan boys would have voted for their service.

Even though XM had many more subs

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Even though XM had many more subs

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

True but D* has more subs than E* and VOOM had hardly any at all but if you went by the posts around here you would think the order was reversed. It is just the way it is. Why some people felt compelled to vote for Sirius in some categories i can't say. Sometimes they would justify it by the Stern factor but I never saw how that was relevant about anything other than talkk stations.

I got the Sirius Lifetime sub @ $299 (pre Stern) mainly for football.. XM (at that time) carried "limited" commercials on the "decade channels" and maybe a few more..Sirius (pre MTV Crowd) had some "classic NYC DJ's" on many of its stations. XM had a better music selection,deeper playlists and much better variety of channels. XM was owned (at one time) by GM which is why the had the sub lead..When GM cars stopped selling XM profits (and subs) dropped. Before the merger their was competition which led to better service on both systems. I had XM in my truck and Sirius at home

For some reason I had better reception here in Maine before the merger. My new Corolla has terrible reception. They have changed the receiver and antenna, but reception still is not good. My truck with an Onyx has prroblems also. A buffer should be built in for this issue.

I got the Sirius Lifetime sub @ $299 (pre Stern) mainly for football.. XM (at that time) carried "limited" commercials on the "decade channels" and maybe a few more..Sirius (pre MTV Crowd) had some "classic NYC DJ's" on many of its stations. XM had a better music selection,deeper playlists and much better variety of channels. XM was owned (at one time) by GM which is why the had the sub lead..When GM cars stopped selling XM profits (and subs) dropped. Before the merger their was competition which led to better service on both systems. I had XM in my truck and Sirius at home

GM stopped selling XM ?
I have an '08 Impala and it has XM in it and I know that XM is still available today in new cars.

For some reason I had better reception here in Maine before the merger. My new Corolla has terrible reception. They have changed the receiver and antenna, but reception still is not good. My truck with an Onyx has prroblems also. A buffer should be built in for this issue.

Yes, reception has gone down drastically .... not sure if the merger had anything to do with it, but every day on my trip during work, I can count on losing signal sporadically on the expressway, even though it's in a heavily populated are.

I used to have three XM subscriptions, two Sirius subscriptions and a subscription to Sirius Premium Internet Streaming. Now I just have one XM subscription, one Sirius subscription and Online Streaming for listening to on my phone. I used to listen to satellite radio A LOT, now not so much. Had both XM and Sirius at home and in my car. That was awesome, a combined 300+ channels of commercial free music, uncut talk and every sporting event under the sun. The merger destroyed what was great about both services, doing more damage on the XM side though.

Not to state the obvious but XM had more deeper cuts, Sirius was more hits based, most people preferred either listening to the ‘obscure junk’ or the ‘same junk’. Me I liked both. When I wanted familiar favorites I’d tune to Sirius, when I wanted something new and different I’d fire up XM. It was great having both and having two unique services with two unique philosophies to choose from depending on my mood. One thing I couldn’t stand about Sirius were the idiot DJs, specifically Kayla and Madison. Sirius DJs would bring up the most irrelevant babble and just yammer on about nonsense. These are satellite radio services and I’m all in favor of on air personalities but not these FM rejects Sirius had (and still has). And they continue on the combined service, I can’t stand that airhead they have on The Pulse that brings up celebrity gossip and the one on The 90s is annoying as well. XM did it right as far as on air talent was concerned

So right now I have Sirius at home since I have a Sirius tuner built into my home theater receiver and I have an XM Plug and Play unit (the old Roady XT) in my SUV. In my work tuck I stream on my phone. I hate using a plug and play radio. My factory radio is Sirius Ready, but I need the guts for it, installation would be close to $700, for another $700 I could have them put in the Lincoln Factory Nav Center which includes Sirius, but then I’d be spending upwards of $1500 on a vehicle I’m not planning on having in another two years anyway. In 2013 when I buy my 2009 Navigator it will have Sirius built in in one way or another, I guarantee that. Sirius XM while not what satellite radio used to be, is still a hell of a lot better than that drivel on terrestrial radio, which is why I’ll continue to subscribe. Big reason is because of the talk now. O&A, Playboy Radio, Spice Radio and the sports stuff gets almost the same if not more listening time then music from me these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)