Why I need a receiver with 4:2:2

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Exactly... If the majority of a niche market has no use for 4:2:2, the extra hardware has no value to the majority of customers. Why factory install heaters in cars sold in the Virgin Islands?

We estimate that on average, hobbyists buy about 1 unit of every 3000 sold then the math is approximately $20 x 2999 = $59,980. It just doesn't make business sense to spend an additional $60,000 for the chance of selling an extra 10, 20, 50, 100 or ??? The hobbyist market isn't a big as many of you think...
my guess is Brian that you come over here to talk with us because you are one of us that likes watching the feeds and if
you sell a few units that's just icing on the cake.
had no idea we were only 1 in 3000 units sold who are these 2999 other buyers ? the 97°-101° folks as that's the only
other people who are still into this stuff i know of. they buying all these microHD'es?
and how did this survey take place?
my wild guess would be 1 in 10. maybe
you are now are Hero to us here but you would be a SuperHero with a 422 box lol

A new AZbox miniME North American Edition from Canada is around $229 plus or minus shipping, conversion rates, possible sales, etc.
I agree: no brainer! ;)

Keep in mind that right now, the exchange rate is slightly in the USD's favour as 229 CAD converts to 225 USD. However, we do understand that some people would prefer to purchase in USD so we will soon offer that option. ;)

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

my guess is Brian that you come over here to talk with us because you are one of us that likes watching the feeds and if
you sell a few units that's just icing on the cake.
had no idea we were only 1 in 3000 units sold who are these 2999 other buyers ? the 97°-101° folks as that's the only
other people who are still into this stuff i know of. they buying all these microHD'es?
and how did this survey take place?
my wild guess would be 1 in 10. maybe
you are now are Hero to us here but you would be a SuperHero with a 422 box lol

If only hobbyist were buying 1 in 10 units! Yes, a wild guess... Add a zero to it and most distributors and resellers would drool. :D

You are right, have been here as a hobbyist even before we were a sponsor. It is a fun and ever evolving hobby!

Sales are tracked and logged by websites, inbound telephone numbers and our sales team confirms where the caller heard about us. You are right, approximately 1 out of every 200 sales is the average over the past few years. Thanks for catching the mistake in my quick calculation. Drop a zero and the numbers still don't add up. :cool:

Last edited:
so it is the 97°-101° folks buying the units ?

heck they don't even need HD.
if a person buys a motor they stepped over the line.
over the past 4 years over 5,000 Az boxes have sold over here.
very very few owners ever sell them, they hold value better than others.

not to presume, but...

I doubt Brian would get out of bed for 1250 boxes a year.
I wouldn't. ;)

100 a month sounds like a successful dealer quantity, not the master manufacturer / importer for all of North America.

Not sure if those numbers were supposed to demonstrate the market potential? 100 units month for the entire North America for the only consumer 4:2:2 receiver available is an extremely low quantity. This low quantity estimate is likely correct and emphasizes the reality of the consumer demand. One minimum order production run would be sold in about 3 years! :D This is the reason that the majority of these STBs were sold directly to customers by a reseller buying small quantities directly from the developer without a distributor.

If AZBox wasn't making their money from the theft of services market, the product would have never been feasible for production for the legit user. Once the TOS money train rolled on, AZBox closed down their operation.

It will be interesting to watch market developments since it was confirmed that the upcoming AZBox model manufactured under new ownership will no longer use the Sigma chipset and will be released without 4:2:2. The current models are no longer manufactured and inventory is limited to existing stock. The existing AZBox inventory may be the last 4:2:2 consumer STB receivers for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
If that's the real demand, it's the demand at that price point and with the user experience reputation that comes with that brand. Some of us have held off, we read the subforum and are not duly impressed. Obsolescence on the horizon makes that solution even less enticing. I may get one anyway. It like does 4:2:2, man. :cool:

I know of absolutely NO subscription signals that are 4:2:2.
If the AZBox is strictly manufactured for signal theft, why does it have 4:2:2 capabilities? If it costs that much more per box for a chipset that decodes 4:2:2, then why would it be included in a piracy box?

I think it just so happened that 4:2:2 was included in that particular chipset, don't know that it is that much extra in cost as a feature, just not common. Wish someone could keep the miniME in production as it seems like a pretty good box save its current blind scan performance. Am interested, maybe will bite.

I know of absolutely NO subscription signals that are 4:2:2.
If the AZBox is strictly manufactured for signal theft, why does it have 4:2:2 capabilities? If it costs that much more per box for a chipset that decodes 4:2:2, then why would it be included in a piracy box?

This has been covered in many past 4:2:2 threads.

Briefly, 5 years ago the chipset was very unique for highend customer STB market and offered many options needed for a box to stand out in a very competitive European market. The target European audience was for card sharing with quality and forward compatible hardware.

AZBox was introduced in North America because a firm involved in providing theft of service STBs warehoused shipments in Miami to supply South America. The STB was one of the first to offer the tos market a key sharing solution and controlled the huge Brazilian market and several other countries for several years.

The STB was in distribution for sometime before an user researched the capability of the Sigma chipset and requested the AZBox development team if it could be activated. The 4:2:2 feature happened onto the market purely by chance.

So there is the history of why you have a 4:2:2 capable receiver. Typical for most satellite technology and distribution to be driven the dollars surrounding piracy. A few hobbyist know of the AZBox through the legit distribution channels in recent years, but the majority of AZBox owners only know of the product for piracy and have no clue as to using the other features.

Last edited:
What $25 dvb card for a PC would you recommend to watch 4:2:2 feeds?

DVB-S2 cards.. at 25 bones prob be used. New one that are compatible a bit more I'd say.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

DVB-S2 cards.. at 25 bones prob be used. New one that are compatible a bit more I'd say.

Aren't most 4:2:2 backhauls MPEG2?

While I use a Prof 7301 or 7500, the old MPEG2 Twinhan cards get fired up occasionally on 4:2:2 feeds.

New S2 TBS 692xx and 892x cards usually can be found for about $50 -$60. Well worth the extra few $$$.

to beat a dead horse---
Intel DN2800MT Marshalltown Fanless Motherboard - Bulk Packaging $109.95

oops to edit this has a 4 pin header not a db9 port...
add your $70 PC card... This has HDMI ans VGA output as well as usb and db9 serial ports.... Yes there is shipping and testing but get real. You do not have to get out and tie up your computer. No I do not have anything to do with them except as a customer. If I can build it...... http://www.logicsupply.com/products/dn2800m

Last edited:
People who buy receivers are strange. Especially when they are more expensive and inferior in every way to a PC tuner card.

If I had to pick an analogy, I would say that you receiver guys are the console gamers of the free-to-air satellite world. Console gamers claim that their systems are the cheaper and easier option just because they dropped $250 on a Xbox 360 instead of $700 on a gaming PC... but then console gamers go and drop $60 for every new game that comes out and another $15 here and there for a map pack that comes out every couple of months. All while paying $60 a year for Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus and "Call of Duty Elite"

Meanwhile, the PC gamer gets superior versions of everything released for their platform for $5 via Steam sales. So the console gamer ends up spending more money in the long run for an inferior experience, all because they wanted a dumbed down box to stick under the TV because apparently it's too hard to figure out how to use the HDMI output port that has been included on every PC graphics card produced for the last 7 years...

I think I'll stick with my $70 Prof 7301 that can do 4:2:2 MPEG-2 and 4:2:2 H.264... and whatever other wacky formats show up in the sky.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts