Will you pay a premium for an iPhone 8 (X)?

I thought that the rose gold color was selling well. Still scratching my head at why they ... take away colors ??
The most likely reason is the sales numbers for that color were too low to justify maintaining them. In this business, it's all about volume - the higher the volume, the lower the prices/costs Apple can squeeze out of their suppliers.

As for storage space, specifically related to pictures/videos, I don't know what other "cloud" providers do but with Google Photos, after photos are sync'd to their cloud, you can delete them from your iPhone and regain all of that space.

I don't know where you got that from.
Surprised iPhone users of course.
There is a physical drawback, however. You can't charge the phone and listen at the same time.
This is a show-stopper for the crowd I work with. Those with Macbooks have to borrow someone else's computer or charger or leave their phone in their vehicle to charge. That's truly sad. Adding Qi charging is cool, but it comes about six years late if you're going to call yourself an innovator.
The new 8 will fix that by using the Qi wireless charger.
The one that Apple doesn't offer until next year and can't reasonably be used on the move? Some of the Qi chargers have 3.5mm plugs near the top yet the Apple versions will need Lightning adapters and a jack at the bottom. Apparently Apple decided that we all need to "keep up" in the car audio department too. Apple has created a decidedly inelegant situation in their haste to change what the marketplace probably wasn't ready to be changed.

It would be different if Apple offered more choices (other than buying new old stock or refurbs).

Hall- Do you sync to the cloud only when connected to fast wifi? If we go away for a month, we are on slow LTE at high cost per GB. I had to research a way to offload my wife's photos and video with a file transfer app to an SD card- Lightning adapter. Cloud is too expensive due to LTE cost. I have Google Drive free, Dropbox free and icloud 99cents per month, but the verizon LTE charge is prohibitive.

I guess I'm the odd one here. I never think tech in a backward mindset. meaning... I see what I may be looking at 2-3 years from now and with 4K, AR, and VR360 being the next big thing, It is important to be ready with the hardware that can perform. A backward mindset still views these smart phones as a walkie talkie with text and that's it. They could be happy with a flip phone with text capability and if it was easy to use, ability to look up things on the internet. Slowly this crowd is getting used to the idea of a camera in his walkie talkie. I must say that my wife fits this profile. She has just gotten used to the idea of a camera in her "walkie talkie" this year.
Some here obviously consider cost as the first requirement to meet, setting a limit and not exceeding it, then will upgrade again in a year. I'm not so sure that saves any money but it does keep you under the state of the art by backward thinking, buying a year old technology just to save a hundred $ at purchase. That's fine if the latest new thing is of no interest until it finally dawns on you that it's cool. Like my wife, who just this year finds having a camera all the time is cool. She used a Blackberry up until she retired too because it had hard buttons for a key pad. I see those who complain the loss of the home button as a "Blackberry mindset."

The ram of 128GB I have in the 6+ is never used, ever. But that's because I find the camera inadequate for my work and only use it as a note pad when shopping or those rare times I need to take a picture and don't have a real camera handy. The new iphone with dual lenses and OIS in the X plus the AI processing of back light balancing is real interest to me. So I know if I plan to be shooting 4K video with the X, I won't bat an eye of forward thinking to 256GB.
Just for comparison, On a 3 hour excursion I shot 4K video and filled a 128Gb SD card. I might only use 10% in my edited project but I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Not only will I pay the premium for the X, I see the need for 256GB as I start using these advanced technology features in the X. If Apple allowed for plug in micro SD cards, I would buy just a 64GB version with a stack of cards for storage.

I'm somewhere in the middle. A phone definitely isn't just for talking and texting for me but at the same time I couldn't care less about 4K video, AR, and VR360 on my phone. I have an Occulus Rift hooked up to a nice PC at home but I don't feel the need for that kind of stuff in my phone. I've never been one to take thousands of photos and I was totally happy with the camera quality on my 6 for the kinds of photos and videos I do take. The fact is that with iCloud handling my photos and me streaming my music nothing I do on my phone takes that much storage space besides podcasts and 64GB will be plenty for that.

So why the iPhone X? Just because I don't care about the camera improvements and don't need a ton of storage space doesn't mean I don't really like technology. Like a lot of members here, I have more tech in my house than anyone I know in the real world. I want something that runs all my apps quickly and makes them look beautiful while doing it. That edge to edge OLED screen will be great.

The base iPhone X at 64GB is 4 times what I have on my 16GB iPhone 6. I'm still using a 6 so I'm obviously not one of the people who upgrades every year but the way I see it, it doesn't make sense to buy technology now for what you think you might need in 2-3 years. Technology moves to quickly to try to play that game. In 2-3 years most of us will be considering our next phone purchase. Many here won't make it that long.

This is a show-stopper for the crowd I work with. Those with Macbooks have to borrow someone else's computer or charger or leave their phone in their vehicle to charge. That's truly sad. Adding Qi charging is cool, but it comes about six years late if you're going to call yourself an innovator.

Not true at all, well maybe the innovator claim is , but this is a tech discussion not one about semantics. There are solutions for all your charging needs. I have a power pack that sells for $12 that can charge my iphone while in my belt pack holster. I carry it ready to go all the time.

I didn't know Qi charging phones has been around for 6 years.

No doubt, Apple still has some awkward silliness especially for file transfers, but if you are needing to do it there are ways. Just not ways easy for the average non- tech person.

I like to ask if I don't know something. It is wrong to spread FUD and inaccurate info in a forum where people wanting to find solutions and answers are here to learn from each other.

As for storage space, specifically related to pictures/videos, I don't know what other "cloud" providers do but with Google Photos, after photos are sync'd to their cloud, you can delete them from your iPhone and regain all of that space.

The iPhone handles this automatically if you turn the setting on. I don't remember all the details but I think mine is set to send the original photos to the cloud and store a lower bitrate version on my device. When even that isn't enough it will remove older photos from my device completely and stream them back in if I scroll to that part of my photo library.

Like I said, I could have a couple of the details mixed up because I haven't looked at the settings in a long time. All I know is that it is seamless and I never get the "storage almost full" notification because of my photo library anymore while still having access to all of my photos.

I'm still using a 6 so I'm obviously not one of the people who upgrades every year but the way I see it, it doesn't make sense to buy technology now for what you think you might need in 2-3 years.

Very true! I learned a long time ago with a scsi raid controller. Never buy future technology with today's $. But I believe i may not have explained it well and you mis understood. My rule is to not buy future technology with today's $. The iphone x with it's 360VR speed and better quality, AR and 6 core processing and AI photo processing is not the future, but it is the present state of the art. And, I am using 360VR now. My 6+ is barely adequate. I plan to look into AR as soon as I have the X. The 2-3 years is how long I like to keep a phone before the new present technology makes it inviting. It may take me 2-3 years to really learn the AR. Buying future tech with today's $ is when you buy a device with the promise that the manufacture will come out with something in a year, but today's device "will be ready" I've been fooled too many times that being ready if it does work will not work adequately.

Other than the oled screen you want, the 8 or 8+ may suit your needs just fine.

My wife and I are most likely upgrading our 6s Plus iPhones to the 8 Plus. The X looks nice but I can't honestly justify the price. My 6s Plus is 64GB and that's that the version I'm upgrading to.

Does anyone know if Apple has these new phones in their stores to look at? My wife is deciding between the silver and gold and would like to see the gold in person if possible before we preorder.

Other than the oled screen you want, the 8 or 8+ may suit your needs just fine.

I know that the 8 would do everything I need it to do but for a device I look at dozens of times per day I think the iPhone X screen might be enough of a reason for me to go with that version. In addition to being OLED and having that cool edge to edge look the iPhone X has a larger screen than the iPhone 8 Plus while the phone itself is almost the same size as a standard iPhone 8. That screen is a huge selling point for me.

When I bought my 6 I wanted the larger screen size of the 6 Plus but didn't want to keep a device of that size in my pocket on a daily basis. The X gives me the best of both worlds. It's the largest iPhone screen available in a device that is about the same size as what I'm currently carrying.

Reactions: Stargazer
You are aware that the X is not a 16x9 screen size. It is a 2x1 AR. It therefore will crop the top and bottom of a horizontally framed image shot in 16x9. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just making sure you are aware of the true size being offered. My 6+ is a full 16 x 9 frame. I don't know yet how that will impact me and my use. I don't understand why Apple did that.

Same here. Puzzled as to any business case to stray from 16x9. I doubt many providers will make full use of that real estate.

You are aware that the X is not a 16x9 screen size. It is a 2x1 AR. It therefore will crop the top and bottom of a horizontally framed image shot in 16x9. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just making sure you are aware of the true size being offered. My 6+ is a full 16 x 9 frame. I don't know yet how that will impact me and my use. I don't understand why Apple did that.

Like I said, the phone is not primarily a photo/video device to me. On the rare occasion that I'm watching a TV show or movie on something other than a TV I use my iPad, not my iPhone. I don't care that the X isn't 16x9. It still has a lot of screen space available and I'm confident that app developers will find ways to make good use of that space.

My guess is that the reason they didn't make it 16x9 is for the exact reason I pointed out in my previous post. Going this way it has a 5.8" screen vs 5.5" on the 8 Plus and 4.7" on the standard 8 while the phone's dimensions are close to the standard 8.

If you look at a standard 6 or 7 most of the front of the phone that isn't screen is on the top and bottom, not the sides. If they just make all of that front real estate screen, the screen gets taller and changes the aspect ratio. If they wanted to keep it as a 16x9 screen they would have had to make the whole device wider instead of sticking to the dimensions of the 8.

I see what I may be looking at 2-3 years from now and with 4K, AR, and VR360 being the next big thing, It is important to be ready with the hardware that can perform.
Is your phone the best place to put all your eggs when it comes to doing these formats? You've voted no up to now.
I see those who complain the loss of the home button as a "Blackberry mindset."
Is that such a bad thing to want something simple and not have to learn all new gestures (or assimilate new functions for old gestures)? Graffitti is arguably what killed Palm and you're giving Apple kudos for dinking with gestures?
If Apple allowed for plug in micro SD cards, I would buy just a 64GB version with a stack of cards for storage.
If Apple allowed you to do what you needed or wanted, it would no longer be Apple. The other guys have been there for a while now and the question remains whether or not you should be paying for all that stuff together on your phone (otherwise known as jack-of-all-trades -- master of none).

Perhaps its time you helped us out with a short explanation of the difference between AR and VR and which you would use where.

Other than a stop watch there are no real health apps on it.
My point was that not every watch that looks like an Apple Watch is an Apple Watch. A lot of people are into costume jewelry and for as low as $30 you can have something that looks remarkably similar to an Apple Watch and it might even be able to make phone calls and take pictures.

Same here. Puzzled as to any business case to stray from 16x9. I doubt many providers will make full use of that real estate.

There are others on the market that have these odd AR's as well. Just not sure how Apple plans to offer options for the screen. Some video cameras have options where some formats are zoomed and cropped. The demos so far show Apple cropping the top and bottom allowing the full width for the video frame. I believe the AR is 2.16 on the X and 16x9 would be 1.78. It's almost cinemascope wide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts