Will you pay a premium for an iPhone 8 (X)?

I don’t really notice the notch at all when using the phone like I normally would. I notice it when I look for information in the top bar and see much less than I’m used to unless I drag down from the top right corner.

I don’t watch a lot of video on my phone but I have tested with YouTube and the notch isn’t really noticeable there either. They simply fill in space with black bars to make it 16x9. Because the phone has an HDR OLED screen the phone basically looks identical to my iPhone 6 when this happens. I can’t tell I’m looking at a blackened area of the screen instead of the old bezel. This is also what happens in apps that haven’t been updated to use all of the available space on the X. Maybe the trailers app does this differently.

I’m with you on learning new gestures though. Most of them are straight forward enough but I’m still not sure how to force an app closed from the app switcher.

Press and hold on an app once you’re in the switcher. Delete symbol will appear in the upper left corner. Slower to close a single app, but faster to close multiple apps.

Reactions: king3pj
Watching some of the TWiT podcasts showed me the ship down from the right "horn" ("ear"?) activates the Control Center and down on the left side brings up the Notifications. A quick swipe up from the bottom returns you to the Home Screen while a slow swipe up brings up the App Switcher. I just wish I had watched them before I went to the Apple Store so I could better explore the iPhone X.

"The New Screen Savers" from November 4th shows how identical twins can unlock each others' iPhone X. They also had a slow-motion IR camera view of the FaceID scanner in action. About 30 minutes into the podcast.

Reactions: dishfan82
So, those who made the iPhone X choice, have you got a feel for how battery life is with your new iPhone? I would expect life to not be normal for a while as you play with and show off all the new features, but in a few weeks I'd be curious to see if the iPhone X matches the three days the iPhone 8 users have been reporting.

So, those who made the iPhone X choice, have you got a feel for how battery life is with your new iPhone? I would expect life to not be normal for a while as you play with and show off all the new features, but in a few weeks I'd be curious to see if the iPhone X matches the three days the iPhone 8 users have been reporting.

I tinkered with my X all day yesterday since it was the first time I really got a chance to do so. By the end of the day yesterday I had 9% battery life remaining.

Today was more of a typical day for me since I had to go back to work but I probably still played with the phone a little more than I normally would. I streamed music from Spotify while I was at the gym in the morning and listened to a few hours of podcasts and had a typical day in terms of messaging and phone calls. It’s about 3 hours before bed for me and I’m sitting at 72% battery remaining. With the aging iPhone 6 I replaced I would be somewhere in the 30-40% range at this time of day.

It looks like I could definitely make it at least 2 days between charges with my normal use while my 6 barely made it through the day most of the time and sometimes had to be plugged in an hour or two before bed. I’ll probably stick to my normal routine of plugging in overnight though.

Reactions: Foxbat
Most of my most used apps have now been updated for iPhone X. The extra screen real estate when compared to my old iPhone 6 is great. One of my favorite updated apps has to be LastPass. In addition to filling the whole screen they added FaceID support. This comes in handy because LastPass requires you to enter a password every time you open it even if you were just in the app a few minutes ago. It had TouchID support on my iPhone 6 but TouchID never worked reliably for me for some reason. FaceID works much better.

There are still plenty of apps on my phone that haven’t been updated for iPhone X support (MLB at Bat, TiVo, Nest, Marvel Unlimited, OnStar, Steam, PlayStation, etc...) but most of the apps I use most often have been. The big exceptions that I use every day that haven’t been updated yet are Gmail, Spotify, and Fitbit. This sucks especially for Gmail because it basically turns the iPhone X screen into an iPhone 6,7, or 8 with lots of wasted space on the top and bottom. Once you get used to iPhone X apps non-updated apps are ugly and they feel cramped. It’s like watching 4:3 content on a big 4K TV.

Can you check out some YT 4K content to see how it displays? I'd like to know if the 16x9 AR is maintained or it reverts to the notched out odd AR.

Can you check out some YT 4K content to see how it displays? I'd like to know if the 16x9 AR is maintained or it reverts to the notched out odd AR.

When I select 4K videos from YouTube it stays in 16x9 with black bars on both sides just like it does on 1080p videos. The highest quality setting it actually lets me select is 1440p on these 4K videos because the iPhone X doesn’t have a 4K screen.

I have tested video from multiple apps and all of them display in 16x9 and show black bars instead of the notch. The only exception I have seen so far is Apple’s trailers app. This shows the notch by default but all you have to do is tap an icon while a video is playing and it switches to the black bar view that all the other apps use.

When I select 4K videos from YouTube it stays in 16x9 with black bars on both sides just like it does on 1080p videos. The highest quality setting it actually lets me select is 1440p on these 4K videos because the iPhone X doesn’t have a 4K screen.

Thanks for confirming that! It matches what the Apple sales guy told me when I was in the store to pick up my watch. Glad I decided on the Sony then and will buy into the X line next time if they come out with a + size that supports 4K.
If you haven't been following my reason to have 4K on such a small screen is because I use it to display 360VR in a HMD. The Sony 4K native screen is the only one that can do that and the increase in resolution is important for 360VR.

A 3840 x 2160 video screen in 360VR actually only sees 960 x 540 and a 1920 x 1080 screen can only view 480 x 270. These resolution extrapolations assume a 90° viewing window. It may be possible to increase the window to 120 degrees for higher viewed resolution but that makes the image miniaturized and takes away from the reality of the intended technology.

I have tested video from multiple apps and all of them display in 16x9 and show black bars instead of the notch. The only exception I have seen so far is Apple’s trailers app. This shows the notch by default but all you have to do is tap an icon while a video is playing and it switches to the black bar view that all the other apps use.

You should be able to switch back and forth between 16x9 and full-screen modes by using pinch-in and pinch-out.

Still waiting for my iPhone X to be shipped. Expected by Thanksgiving.

The X is nice but I’m gonna wait til they come out with future versions. Possibly bigger than the X and all screen . The notch is ok but maybe in a few years they’ll redesign it without the notch.

Yep. I think they’ll come around to seeing the notch as a failure. And aspect ratio. They can’t be THAT pig headed. Oh, Wait!.....

If I'm not mistaken, the 6+ is the only iPhone to have a standard or common resolution. It is 1920x1080.
All of the plus models feature 1080p displays. They render a larger bitmap but thats' just their way of making programming more difficult.

The Ultimate Guide To iPhone Resolutions

What could be more fun than dealing with the "resolution" (virtually rendered pixels), the "logical resolution" (points) and the "display resolution" (physical pixel matrix -- downscaled from "resolution")?

My iPhone X tracking info was flagged as SPAM and went straight to Junk Mail. I am glad I’ve spotted it! The phone was shipped from China on Monday an is already in KY. Should be here by Monday.

Just got notification that mine has shipped and will be delivered tomorrow. (Notification was from Verizon via text)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts