XBOX One Owners Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It looks like Microsoft snuck in an interesting feature in the latest update, which allows users to remap completely remap buttons to multiple controllers. This video explains it pretty well, and points out how nice of a feature this is:

I missed this earlier but I'm interested to see how in depth they go with this. It sounds like Microsoft just gave the specs to Digital Foundry to put them out on their own terms before the inevitably leak anyways. It will be interesting to see how this stacks up against modern PC hardware and whether it is truly capable of 4K gaming.

Here's the video of the "reveal" of the Scorpio.

I'm still surprised Microsoft did this but they definitely went to the right people with this spec reveal. I think he did a pretty good job of talking about stuff 99% of the people watching won't understand but explaining it in a way that doesn't just go over our heads.

It sounds like the GPU is basically a beefed up AMD RX 480 (GTX 1060 is the Nvidia equivalent). This isn't a GPU that you would buy for 4K gaming on PC but it sounds like this GPU is highly customized on a hardware level to be efficient for DirectX 12 games.

This is how they are able to get native 4K 60FPS on Forza 6 while only putting the GPU at about 60% utilization even though a RX 480 wouldn't be able to handle Forza 6 Apex at 4K 60 FPS on PC. If other games are able to scale to 4K this well on a Scorpio it sounds like it truly is capable of native 4K gaming while most PS4 Pro games render at a lower resolution and upscale to 4K.

If I had a 4K TV I would probably get one of these depending on how much they end up charging for it. 4K is still a ways off for me though. If it was just a matter of buying the TV I would have done it by now but my Onkyo surround sound receiver would also need to be replaced to support 4K passthrough and I would probably want a PS4 Pro and Scorpio. I'm not ready to upgrade everything in my entertainment center.

Quick spec comparison:

5PrKkLu.png

This is pretty cool. The Scorpio supports FreeSync.This is AMD's version of Nvidia G-Sync. These are adaptive refresh rate technologies that allow the monitor to constantly change it's refresh rate to match the exact FPS the GPU is putting out. This allows for smoother gameplay when the framerate fluctuates instead of staying locked at 30 or 60 FPS. It also eliminates screen tearing without introducing the input lag that comes with normal vsync.

As far as I know there aren't any TVs that support FreeSync but plenty of PC gaming monitors do. They are usually quite a bit cheaper than their G-Sync equivalents because AMD doesn't charge a licensing fee for this technology. It probably won't do much for a typical living room gamer but a Scorpio paired with a nice 4K FreeSync monitor could be a pretty awesome setup.

Edit: And here is Phil Spencer's reply to this tweet. Looks like Microsoft is going to be pushing TV manufacturers to include FreeSync support.

This is pretty cool. The Scorpio supports FreeSync.This is AMD's version of Nvidia G-Sync. These are adaptive refresh rate technologies that allow the monitor to constantly change it's refresh rate to match the exact FPS the GPU is putting out. This allows for smoother gameplay when the framerate fluctuates instead of staying locked at 30 or 60 FPS. It also eliminates screen tearing without introducing the input lag that comes with normal vsync.

As far as I know there aren't any TVs that support FreeSync but plenty of PC gaming monitors do. They are usually quite a bit cheaper than their G-Sync equivalents because AMD doesn't charge a licensing fee for this technology. It probably won't do much for a typical living room gamer but a Scorpio paired with a nice 4K FreeSync monitor could be a pretty awesome setup.

Edit: And here is Phil Spencer's reply to this tweet. Looks like Microsoft is going to be pushing TV manufacturers to include FreeSync support.

Seems like Microsoft is moreso targeting the Steam audience than going after Sony with all the hardward hype and specs.

I wonder if this is more a move towards the PC market and a withdrawl from the home console market.

Seems like Microsoft is moreso targeting the Steam audience than going after Sony with all the hardward hype and specs.

I wonder if this is more a move towards the PC market and a withdrawl from the home console market.
I doubt it. The Steam Machines didn't exactly set the world on fire, and why would you get a Scorpio when you can get a PC which can be more powerful and has tons more games? I get the feeling this may be just one of those nice little perks, because I don't exactly see TV manufacturers racing to adopt this. It's a hard sell to them since most people won't even know its there.

Here DF tries to explain why VRR is significant:

I doubt it. The Steam Machines didn't exactly set the world on fire, and why would you get a Scorpio when you can get a PC which can be more powerful and has tons more games? I get the feeling this may be just one of those nice little perks, because I don't exactly see TV manufacturers racing to adopt this. It's a hard sell to them since most people won't even know its there.

I think it's probably a little of both. Of course Microsoft wants to get some of the console market share they lost to Sony back. They also see that Gabe Newell was able to become a billionaire by selling games through Steam to people using a platform they own (Windows). They want some of that market share too.

The reason someone would buy a Scorpio over a PC is because a PC capable of 4K gaming with high settings and 60 FPS is going to cost you $1500+. We don't know how much the Scorpio will cost yet but I think they would be crazy to make it more than $500-$600. Sure that $1500 PC will have better visuals and framerates but it's also a lot more money. The Scorpio will be a nice entry into 4K gaming for people who aren't willing to invest that kind of money into a PC.

I heard a pretty long interview with Phil Spencer on Podcast Unlocked. He mentioned that they still expect the Xbox One S to be the mainstream system that most people continue to buy after the Scorpio is released. He basically said that the Scorpio will be a niche console for hardcore gamers who want a 4K capable system. In a lot of ways this is the same niche group who cares about gaming enough to build a nice PC.

Obviously they are still very different platforms. The PC is much more open with multiple storefronts, mods, and the ability to edit your own ini files when you want to. I don't see many PC gamers moving over to Scorpio but it might convince current console gamers who are thinking about moving to PC for better graphics to buy a Scorpio instead.

Better late than never,

The most requested Backwards Compatibility game of all time, Black Ops 2, is now on BC. The game is also on sale.

I was never really big on BO:2. To me 1 will always be the best with BO:3 being a solid second. I REALLY enjoyed the Co-Op campaign of 3 and I really hope Activision decides to bring it back in a future release.

Games with Gold for May have been announced. Not a bad lineup, especially if you're big into Star Wars, although I will say that TFU 2 is a rather underwhelming experience, as I mentioned back in 2010..

I'll also say that Giana Sisters is really good as well. I played it for a bit and just got too frustrated and quit, but I attribute that to my lack of patience at the time than I do to bad game design. The history of the series is quite interesting as well, and I recommend people check out the video below for some more info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)