2011-12 NFL Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't say I remember ever seeing it called on the defense before the snap...only after. Theoretically someone can run off the field at the last second before the snap and they're back to 11, so it's not a penalty until the ball is snapped...right?

It's 12 men in the huddle on offense that is called before the snap.

Sandra
Maybe so, but it's still a refuse-able penalty if the offense wants to take any yardage gained...

Maybe so, but it's still a refuse-able penalty if the offense wants to take any yardage gained...

No question, but yardage will be more difficult to gain with 12 men on the field. And the bigger issue is all the time that is ticking off the clock with 12 men on defense.

Sandra

No question, but yardage will be more difficult to gain with 12 men on the field. And the bigger issue is all the time that is ticking off the clock with 12 men on defense.

Sandra
This may be one instance where the HS rules are actually better. In the HS game it's illegal substitution (5 yards) if the 12-men is called before/at the snap (no one is making an effort to get off the field), and illegal participation (15 yards) if it's a live ball foul....

One of the things I hate about Sports is how the fans and some sports writers liked to stir things up after a win. It's just a game. Having losing fans call in like they just lost a loved one or something. After the game I told my son I was disappointed but ok. He said he was glad they got as far as they did and was looking forward to next year. If you listen to some of the callers calling in to Boston Radio you wonder if any of them beat their wives last night , or the kids. Some take Sports so seriously it's scary. Everyone will tell you that you need skill but also luck to get to a Superbowl and also to win.

Look at this year and see how many teams didn't get very far. The Packers really surprised me. But I will be watching the Patriots again next year.

My sons wore Patriots Jerseys back in 2008 and we went to a Theme Park. We had several people yell to them saying things like "cheaters" and much more then I can repeat here. I finally had it and went up to one of them and asked them why they thought they needed to say things to a 6 year old and 10 year old boy. I told him that they had nothing to do with how the team played and was coached . He was a Dolphins fan so I guess I can understand his bitterness but it's ridiculous to see adults act this way.

Last edited:
One of the things I hate about Sports is how the fans and some sports writers liked to stir things up after a win. It's just a game. Having losing fans call in like they just lost a loved one or something. After the game I told my son I was disappointed but ok. He said he was glad they got as far as they did and was looking forward to next year. If you listen to some of the callers calling in to Boston Radio you wonder if any of them beat their wives last night , or the kids. Some take Sports so seriously it's scary. Everyone will tell you that you need skill but also luck to get to a Superbowl and also to win...it's ridiculous to see adults act this way.
College football is worse. You should hear all the gloom and doom talk in Baton Rouge, and after a near perfect season. It's even worse in Alabama, where they actually do beat their wives, shoot their neighbors, kill 100 year old oaks, teabag on camera, etc...and that's when they win! :D

Last edited:
One of the things I hate about Sports is how the fans and some sports writers liked to stir things up after a win. It's just a game. Having losing fans call in like they just lost a loved one or something. After the game I told my son I was disappointed but ok. He said he was glad they got as far as they did and was looking forward to next year. If you listen to some of the callers calling in to Boston Radio you wonder if any of them beat their wives last night , or the kids. Some take Sports so seriously it's scary. Everyone will tell you that you need skill but also luck to get to a Superbowl and also to win.

Look at this year and see how many teams didn't get very far. The Packers really surprised me. But I will be watching the Patriots again next year.

My sons wore Patriots Jerseys back in 2008 and we went to a Theme Park. We had several people yell to them saying things like "cheaters" and much more then I can repeat here. I finally had it and went up to one of them and asked them why they thought they needed to say things to a 6 year old and 10 year old boy. I told him that they had nothing to do with how the team played and was coached . He was a Dolphins fan so I guess I can understand his bitterness but it's ridiculous to see adults act this way.

I told my wife not to get her hopes up next year about the Patriots until they make it through free agency. They have some big holes and big names to pay. Same goes for every team really.

Ratings are in!

Super Bowl falls just short of ratings record

Posted by Josh Alper on February 6, 2012, 11:43 AM EST

The ratings for Super Bowl 46 were very strong, but not quite strong enough to set a new record.

The Giants’ 21-17 win over the Patriots came in with a 47.8 overnight rating and 71 share of the viewing audience, according to the Associated Press. That’s just off the record 47.9 overnight rating for the Packers’ victory over the Steelers last year, a mark that game shares with Super Bowl 21 when the Giants beat the Broncos.

Sunday night’s broadcast peaked in the fourth quarter when Nielsen reported a 51.8 rating as the Giants fought their way back to a victory. The game set a new Nielsen NFL record for Boston where the game received a 56.7 rating while the game trailed only that previous Giants Super Bowl among viewers in New York.

Super Bowl falls just short of ratings record | ProFootballTalk

Actual ratings now in, it was the most watched telecast in US history besting last years Super Bowl (which beat the Super Bowl the year prior, which beat the MASH finale) with an average of 111.3m viewers.

For anyone who needs a recap...

Last edited by a moderator:
College football is worse. You should hear all the gloom and doom talk in Baton Rouge, and after a near perfect season. It's even worse in Alabama, where they actually do beat their wives, shoot their neighbors, kill 100 year old oaks, teabag on camera, etc...and that's when they win! :D
Hey now, that is a TOTAL lie! The oak tree thing happened after a loss........;)

MGM Resorts has already put up odds to win next year's Super Bowl. Some of the favored teams surprise me.

Patriots 5-1
Packers 11-2
Eagles 6-1
Steelers 6-1
Saints 8-1
Giants 8-1
49ers 10-1
Texans 10-1
Chargers 12-1

Those odds are intended to steer money one direction or another, rather than predict the outcome of the next Super Bowl, as are all sports betting odds.

You can bet they'll be licking their chops when they post the safety prop bet next year.

SandraC said:

Sandra

But remember the game can't end on a defensive penalty, so eventually they have to stop.

BillD1984 said:
True, but the Pats need a serious upgrade at the outside receiver slot. It doesn't necessarily need to be a Randy Moss, but they need an upgrade just to keep the opposing defenses honest. This will only make Gronk and Hernandez even more scary.

Santanio Holmes ?

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

rey_1178 said:
i thought the same thing. i think the NFL will have to tweak that penalty a bit because it will happen again on purpose.

Technically, I think they got the rule wrong, the penalty is one that happens Before the snap, therefore the clock should be reset.
I would expect the NFL to change this rule to make it that way.

Santanio Holmes ?

You never know. Belichick has gone for the diva type receiver in the recent past (Moss, Ochocinco and he was reportedly interested in T.O. a couple of years ago).

Congrats to the never-say-die Giants.

Unlike 4 years ago, I'm gonna be a lot nicer and less caustic to them as they try to defend their title. Learned my lesson there.

Congrats to the never-say-die Giants.

Unlike 4 years ago, I'm gonna be a lot nicer and less caustic to them as they try to defend their title. Learned my lesson there.

Good man, they've earned everyone's respect! :)

They actually remind me of the 2004-2008 era Red Sox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)