2013 Masters Tournament

Tiger Woods was given a 2 stroke penalty for an illegal drop at 15. The rule states you have to drop within reasonable proximity to the previous shot. To me that rule is to open ended, I would interprete the rule to mean do not drop in front of the previous shot.

As a result Woods have now taken an 8 on 15 yesterday and starts today's round -1 5 strokes back.

But that was ONLY after some schlep FROM HOME called in after seeing it on t.v. ??!! To me, that is BULL$H!7 !!!! Like you said, that rule is too ambiguous! You have officials all over the place. If no one on the course saw it, then he should have been penalized. I am also sure he thought the ball was within drop.

The next time I see a traveling in basketball, a false start in football... I plan on calling it from home.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

But that was ONLY some schlep called from home. To me, that is BULL$H!7 !!!! Like you said, that rule is too ambiguous! You have officials all over the place. If no one on the course saw it, I am also sure he thought it was within drop.

The next time I see a traveling in basketball, a false start in football... I plan on calling it from home.

I find the people that call in golf rules violations from their recliner to be total losers.

Now some idiot on the Golf Channel thinks Tiger should disqualify himself because though he feels Tiger did not drop to get an advantage(from the video, it looks like the ball was within 18 inches to the left of his last divot), because he got the two stroke penalty and "should feel bad about what he supposedly did."

Gimme a break.

I find the people that call in golf rules violations from their recliner to be total losers.

Agreed. And ANY RULES committee that goes according to the douche that called in is even worse. Now, that these idiots went according to some loser at home.... The calls are gonna be flooding the PGA offices and TV NETWORK whenever someone THINKS they see and infraction.

Hey, hey, hey...a rule is a rule and I feel obligated to phone 'em in when I see 'em. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I had no idea Woods was assessed a 2-stroke penalty since I've been running errands and haven't taken had time to watch the Golf Channel. To be honest, I'll have to go back and watch it again because I didn't notice anything wrong with the drop. My only comments are: 1) Woods should have requested a ruling from an official if there was any question about the location of the drop area. He's been around long enough to know this ruling would have been made within a minute or two. 2) I think it's Bullsh!t that a rules violation can be made via recording so many hours after the round has been completed. Seriously, I've seen replays where some players double-strike the ball when chipping from a deep rough. The player doesn't know it and the fans don't know it...but one of the ultra slow motion cameras picks up the double strike. Then what? The PGA is going to play the replay after the event and then assess a penalty for something nobody knew happened.

What's next...they're going to watch where the players mark their balls on the green and assess a penalty if they place the ball one-quarter of an inch ahead of the mark? You usually don't see stupid officiating in such events (this isn't the NBA or NFL) but this and the Guan ruling are pretty silly. :(

Lastly, who and the hell calls in a rules violation from home? I've never heard of anyone being assessed a penalty based on a call from a home viewer. But enough about his ex-wife Elin. :D

But that was ONLY after some schlep FROM HOME called in after seeing it on t.v. ??!! To me, that is BULL$H!7 !!!! Like you said, that rule is too ambiguous! You have officials all over the place. If no one on the course saw it, then he should have been penalized. I am also sure he thought the ball was within drop.

The other thing that disturbs me about this ruling is that Woods should be Disqualified if it was deemed it was an illegal drop and thus resulted in him signing an incorrect scorecard. Of course, DQ'ing Woods would affect the weekend ratings so it looks like the PGA is going to revise the rules as they see fit.

Agreed. And ANY RULES committee that goes according to the douche that called in is even worse. Now, that these idiots went according to some loser at home.... The calls are gonna be flooding the PGA offices and TV NETWORK whenever someone THINKS they see and infraction.

Hey, hey, hey...a rule is a rule and I feel obligated to phone 'em in when I see 'em. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I had no idea Woods was assessed a 2-stroke penalty since I've been running errands and haven't taken had time to watch the Golf Channel. To be honest, I'll have to go back and watch it again because I didn't notice anything wrong with the drop. My only comments are: 1) Woods should have requested a ruling from an official if there was any question about the location of the drop area. He's been around long enough to know this ruling would have been made within a minute or two. 2) I think it's Bullsh!t that a rules violation can be made via recording so many hours after the round has been completed. Seriously, I've seen replays where some players double-strike the ball when chipping from a deep rough. The player doesn't know it and the fans don't know it...but one of the ultra slow motion cameras picks up the double strike. Then what? The PGA is going to play the replay after the event and then assess a penalty for something nobody knew happened.

What's next...they're going to watch where the players mark their balls on the green and assess a penalty if they place the ball one-quarter of an inch ahead of the mark? You usually don't see stupid officiating in such events (this isn't the NBA or NFL) but this and the Guan ruling are pretty silly. :(

Lastly, who and the hell calls in a rules violation from home? I've never heard of anyone being assessed a penalty based on a call from a home viewer. But enough about his ex-wife Elin. :D

I don't think he knew the drop was illegal. He played on...and now that I saw the video AGAIN, to me, and I could be wrong, it looks like a foot or less behind the previous divot. As Hart stated and I agree with, the rule just seems too open ended as to how far the ball should or should not be. If there was an official paying attention, he would have came to Tiger and told him as such.

I saw the reply on CBS and Woods should have been DQ'd if it weren't for that rules modification they made a couple years ago. He had to drop the ball in the drop zone or right at the place he struck his first shot, and not two yards back. Regardless, he's just not getting (m)any breaks...he just missed a 4-footer for birdie and the ball more than a 360 around the cup without falling it. I've rarely seen a ball make more than a full circle around the cup without falling in.

Watched a bit in 3D this afternoon. Lovely, stunning stuff. Always heard this but never had the pleasure of experiencing it until this afternoon.

As far as people calling in while watching on TV, in Golf, I've seen it happen before.

That is the ONLY SPORT I can think of that would allow this type of thing.

Can you imagine the people calling in when an Umpire misses a called third strike, or any other numerous calls in baseball.

As far as people calling in while watching on TV, in Golf, I've seen it happen before.

That is the ONLY SPORT I can think of that would allow this type of thing.

Can you imagine the people calling in when an Umpire misses a called third strike, or any other numerous calls in baseball.

Btw, HOW do we get phone numbers to the people in charge that make these calls anyways ?

Leaderboard, Factoids and Useless Commentary...

These players are all within striking distance...

Third Round
Angel Carbrera -7
Brandt Snedeker -7
Adam Scott -6
Jason Day -6
Marc Leishman -5
Matt Kuchar -4
Tim Clark -3
Tiger Woods -3
Jim Furyk -2
Berhard Langer -2
Lee Westwood -2

Best Masters Finish (those at the top)
Carbrera won 2009
Brandt Snedeker T-3 2008
Adam Scott T-2 2011
Jason Day T-2 2011

Cabrera, Snedeker and Scott all played well and have momentum going into the final round. Jason Day and Marc Leishman struggled at times, but have a good shot at winning. Kuchar and Clark also played well, but will have to play equally well tomorrow. Woods had a good day at -2, but he's going to have to fire a 67 tomorrow and hope everyone plays with their choke collars on. Furyk and Westwood will need a career round to vie for a Green Jacket. Finally, where did Berhard Langer come from? Just like with Snake Pliskin, I thought he was dead. :rolleyes:

Finally, Fred Couples was -5 on the back nine until the old man wheels finally came off. He is currently Even Par and tied for 18th place. If I had to venture a guess as to who will be awarded the covered Green Jacket...I wouldn't. I have no idea who wins, but I'm rooting for Brandt Snedeker and Matt Kuchar.

IMO, the 2 stroke penalty is fair, however, if Tiger had DQ'd himself, he would have earned the admiration and respect of many, and maybe even some of the folks that still hate him because of his personal imperfections.

IMO, the 2 stroke penalty is fair, however, if Tiger had DQ'd himself, he would have earned the admiration and respect of many, and maybe even some of the folks that still hate him because of his personal imperfections.

Based on the new rule, his 15th hole faux pas does not rise to the level of Disqualification. Of course, this does not sit well with the old-timers who do not like the new "TV" rule. Regardless, Tiger would be a co-leader if it weren't for that pin costing him 4-strokes (2 for knocking the ball into the water hazard and another 2 penalty strokes for having to replay another ball). In a way, I hope he either wins or is not in contention tomorrow or we'll never stop hearing about that shot into the 15th.

Based on the new rule, his 15th hole faux pas does not rise to the level of Disqualification. Of course, this does not sit well with the old-timers who do not like the new "TV" rule. Regardless, Tiger would be a co-leader if it weren't for that pin costing him 4-strokes (2 for knocking the ball into the water hazard and another 2 penalty strokes for having to replay another ball). In a way, I hope he either wins or is not in contention tomorrow or we'll never stop hearing about that shot into the 15th.

I like the new TV rule, I'll tell you why. It about fairness. Players like Tiger, Rory, Phil, ect. have every single shot on TV. If someone like DA Points had done what Tiger did, no one would of known because I don't think they showed 1 shot of his on TV, so no nerd calling the CBS truck.

Well I still haven't been able to see 5 minutes if this tournament but you guys have described very well what's going on so far. That two stroke penalty against tiger woods will make it very difficult to get a win now although a lot of things can happen. Still, if at the end two strokes makes a difference between a win/loss, wow!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts