5G interference solutions

OswaldFTA

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 8, 2021
Miami, FL
Hello

Regarding the 5G interference solutions I have found these ones so far:

1. LNBF with integrated filter or filters. (C138, etc..)
2. 5G bandpass filter (waveguide post filter) + Any sort of LNB (With or without integrated filters). (Rainier Satellite). They say that their 5G bandpass filter works better if you combine it with the Norsat 3120 C Band PLL LNB, that according to what I see is a LNB without filters.
3. Dual Orthogonal Feedhorn + Waveguide post filter + LNB with integrated filter or filters. (TEK2000). They say that in order to remove completely 5G interferences you need to have the waveguide filter and the LNB with the integrated filter or filters.

It seems to me that the efficiency of the different solutions increases from solution 1 to 3, and therefore the cost of the solution.

Having not yet installed my C band reception "station", and therefore not knowing the level of 5G interference expected in my area (Miami), How do I know which one to choose?

I'd wait until you get a standard C-band system installed. Then check for 5G interference. You can always add on filtering later. You may be in a location where it isn't needed. But I see your point in that you may end up spending more money by not getting what you may ultimately need. Or you may not need that filtering at all. Getting a professional to do a site survey, to determine if 5G interference will be a problem, will probably be more costly.

I'd wait until you get a standard C-band system installed. Then check for 5G interference. You can always add on filtering later. You may be in a location where it isn't needed. But I see your point in that you may end up spending more money by not getting what you may ultimately need. Or you may not need that filtering at all. Getting a professional to do a site survey, to determine if 5G interference will be a problem, will probably be more costly.
I agree with your point. That is what I was thinking to do. Purchase a cheap but functional LNBF and do the respective tests to know if I really need any 5G interference solution.

If you're in the Miami metro area I can assure you will have 5G interference. This will make installing your BUD much more difficult in terms of locating and locking a signal. Food for thought, you most likely will need 5G filters.

If you're in the Miami metro area I can assure you will have 5G interference. This will make installing your BUD much more difficult in terms of locating and locking a signal. Food for thought, you most likely will need 5G filters.
I do not live in the metro area, maybe 10 to 12 miles from there. So I'm not sure that I will get any 5G interference.

I live North of Greenville SC. I suspect I am having 5G interference already. signal goes from 85% to 78% and back with intermittent pixelization and I can hear what sounds like Cell towers I used to tune 845 to 893 or so and know what the beeps and braps sound like,

I have an ORTHO FEED with a couple of norsat 8115 LNBs. So I would need TWO filters ....Right? Sad because I only watch one polarization at a time.

WHO SELLS FILTERS?

There's a good thread on legitfta. EB and a few are actively using spectrum analyzers to sniff out 5G sources and interference scenarios. Word is your dish needs to be in line of sight to a 5G tower.
If it's more than 300 or so meters from your location you probably will not have many worries.
As eel stated, before running out and panic buying solutions, first determine if your transponders are in fact effected.
Further. So far off-axis, side lobe terrestrial sources shouldn't be an issue either.
You may find that you'll have an assortment of filters, special lnbf's that you didn't actually need and vendors won't honor returns for experimentation purposes. Can't blame them on that.
T-Mobile recently activated a few 5G towers in my area. One is 90 degrees North of my 12 footer when pointing at 127W. It is perhaps 3-5 miles away and I see the collision lights clearly.
From El Bandido's findings there should not be any concerns. I'm in the process of getting a signal sniffer put together also for a drive around in my area, which is in the sticks.

Reactions: N6BY and c-spand
At this time I am only seeing problems on MUXs that are for instance 3800MHz. Stuff above eg 4.1GHz is so far not affected. So a bandpass filter designed for 4.0 to 4.2. Would attenuate these intended signals as well. I don't understand why/how a number of muxs are still in the 3800 range. for instance on 101W and 105W. I wish our money hungry FCC didn't allow these Cellular lobbyists to make the rules. They have spectrum EVERYWHERE. When will it stop? I fully expect to start seeing more microwave amateur radio bands gobbled up before long. Or they make us Hams secondary users of our bands that must accept all this 5g QRM. I dont see anyone (but NPR) interested in the VHF low TV channels spectrum. NPR is lobbying for an expansion to the FM radio band into TV channel 6. (82-88 MHz) so they can expand their leftist propaganda machine that WE PAY FOR. I expect they too will be succesful.

At this time I am only seeing problems on MUXs that are for instance 3800MHz. Stuff above eg 4.1GHz is so far not affected. So a bandpass filter designed for 4.0 to 4.2. Would attenuate these intended signals as well. I don't understand why/how a number of muxs are still in the 3800 range. for instance on 101W and 105W. I wish our money hungry FCC didn't allow these Cellular lobbyists to make the rules. They have spectrum EVERYWHERE. When will it stop? I fully expect to start seeing more microwave amateur radio bands gobbled up before long. Or they make us Hams secondary users of our bands that must accept all this 5g QRM. I dont see anyone (but NPR) interested in the VHF low TV channels spectrum. NPR is lobbying for an expansion to the FM radio band into TV channel 6. (82-88 MHz) so they can expand their leftist propaganda machine that WE PAY FOR. I expect they too will be succesful.
Cellular mobile services will NOT be using any frequencies BELOW UHF band. At present, they start at 608Mhz, just above channel RF37 (Rf37 has always been reserved for radio astronomy) So, that's old tv channel rf38.

Anything lower than that, would require much too large of an antenna, and for obvious reasons a phone can't accommodate that.

Cellular mobile services will NOT be using any frequencies BELOW UHF band. At present, they start at 608Mhz, just above channel RF37 (Rf37 has always been reserved for radio astronomy) So, that's old tv channel rf38.

Anything lower than that, would require much too large of an antenna, and for obvious reasons a phone can't accommodate that.

I still do not understand signals on 101 and 105 at least, If someone were to use a 5G band reject filter then there would be some muxes in the reject band.

101 and 105 do have frequencies in use in the lower part of the 3700-4200 MHz band. On 105, you have services destined for reception in Mexico, which is not part of this frequency shift. If you are out of range of 5G interference, these channels can still be picked up. If you have 5G problems, it does not affect the intended audience outside of the U.S. They have no such local interference. Another consideration for signals still transmitting to U.S. audiences on lower parts of the band is that they will likely be moved to above 4000 MHz at some point in the near future and/or to another satellite. There is a lot of transition at the moment, meaning that things will change with regard to the frequencies used by existing customers in the lower part of the band.

What is LegitFTA? I would like to know how to make a sniffer.
I haven't looked at LegitFTA yet.

But the one I plan on building will consist of a laptop computer, an SDR (software defined radio), an unfiltered C-Band LNBF, a 13 volt power source with a bias tee to power the LNBF, a 12 inch wide parabolic dish and my SDR Program named DR Processor running in wide band mode. Or I may decide to use another SDR program: Spectrum Analyser

I have strong 5G interference in my area. I intend to find where it's coming from.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I haven't looked at LegitFTA yet.

But the one I plan on building will consist of a laptop computer, an SDR (software defined radio), an unfiltered C-Band LNBF, a 13 volt power source with a bias tee to power the LNBF, a 12 inch wide parabolic dish and my SDR Program named DR Processor running in wide band mode. Or I may decide to use another SDR program: Spectrum Analyser

I have strong 5G interference in my area. I intend to find where it's coming from.
EB at Legit is using a regular TinySA to do his scans, and posting pics. 5G issues and Titanium C138 LNBF solution - Page 5

Reactions: N6BY and FTA4PA
Word is your dish needs to be in line of sight to a 5G tower.
That's just the problem for SOME people. Because they also have these small-cell 5g repeater base stations mounted right on neighborhood power poles in some areas, and increasing more and more.

Or there could be a 5G Internet Gateway installed at a neighbor's house. Verizon's Internet Gateway uses band n77 (C Band) and others.

InternetGatewaySpecs.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Captain Midnight