6 foot dish install

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm watching the Tiger vs Indians on STO HD (121W). The HD comes in just fine with the 6 footer, and was out of reach of my 4 foot miniBUD, this summer . This dish was a BARGAIN. Thanks, Robby.
:)

brentb636, sounds like you finished aligning your dish? I won't have time to install mine until the weekend and the wait is killing me.

I can get all the birds in my LOS. I still have to take a little time to optimize the lnbf. I just stuck it up there and moved it until it got something. The skew is okay, but I might be able to improve the signal with a little "in-out" adjustment.

I'm watching the Tiger vs Indians on STO HD (121W). The HD comes in just fine with the 6 footer, and was out of reach of my 4 foot miniBUD, this summer . This dish was a BARGAIN. Thanks, Robby.

You are welcome. Always glad to see happy customers. Thank you and thanks to all the forum members for your business and support. I appreciate it. :)

Had a little free time this afternoon so I did a test fitting. Everything looks good and the dish moves well. This has been a fun project but don't try this unless you are willing to see it not work. As you can see, I decided to go a different direction....

Attachments

• post 1.jpg
    post 1.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 311
  • post 4.jpg
    post 4.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 329
  • post 6.jpg
    post 6.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 325
  • post 8.jpg
    post 8.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 511
  • post 9.jpg
    post 9.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 325
Might be okay if you keep it in the center of the arc. I'd be betting on my STAB hh-120 working in that mode. Much as I like the DG380, the HH-120 is slower and geared lower, and might survive.

That dish is to heavy for that H-H DiSEqC motor

I agree the motor is not rated for higher than 1.2M however do you know how much this 6ft dish and my modified bracket weigh? ;) I fully considered stress on the motor before doing this.

Like you said earlier, don't try this if you're not prepared for failure, but what've you got to lose ? Looks like an interesting project for this lightweight 6 foot dish. Too bad you're in California, if you were closer you could borrow my spare motors and see if any could handle it.

According the specs I've read, the HH120 can handle up to 37lbs so it should be OK. My dish and bracket weigh ~33lbs. For comparison, my 1.2M dish weighs about 29lbs. Attempting to use an HH motor like I did is only possible because of how lightweight this 6ft dish weighs. Somewhere I think recall Robby saying the metal was .5mm although I don't know for sure. It seems to be tracking about the same as my 1.2M however I fully understand that the motor could wear out prematurely or even die. To me the advantage of using an HH motor outweighed the risk of failure. YMMV

Last edited:
Nice job, mr3p. Looks like you are sheltered from a lot of the wind there, that will help. How many degrees from true south have you gone and then returned from?

According the specs I've read, the HH120 can handle up to 37lbs so it should be OK. My dish and bracket weigh ~33lbs. For comparison, my 1.2M dish weighs about 29lbs. Attempting to use an HH motor like I did is only possible because of how lightweight this 6ft dish weighs. Somewhere I think recall Robby saying the metal was .5mm although I don't know for sure. It seems to be tracking about the same as my 1.2M however I fully understand that the motor could wear out prematurely or even die. To me the advantage of using an HH motor outweighed the risk of failure. YMMV

I was pondering trying that exact setup, well done!
Where did you get the mount you used on your 6 foot dish ... that's my stumbling block.

phlatwound: I honestly only had time to put the dish up the bracket. Using the button on the motor, I was able to go back and forth from my true south (119) to ~135 and then back. You are absolutely correct that the deck its on is sheltered from wind which should also help. I hope to have some time this weekend to set it up to watch.

fastscirocco: I used a rear bracket from a Fortec dish. The support bars I fabricated are 3/4" square aluminum which is very lightweight but also more than strong enough. You can get it at any home depot. I ininitally fabricated steel bars but that added ~1lb so I went with aluminum. Before attaching them, I tried bending them to see if they would fail and I assure you they don't bend. It took a lot of measuring and remeasuring to be sure the holes line up properly so if you do decide to do it, take your time.

Robby: Thank you again for making these dishes available at such a bargain price. If I do end up killing my HH motor, I'm fortunate that I can drive over and buy a new one :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts